PDA

View Full Version : Global Gut Natural 16-snapped main

Smooothone23
12-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Just strung up an RDS002 Tour fresh with a set of Global Nat 16 at 55 on my Neos.

Mains strung fine, fanned the crosses, no kinks, took my time (about 50 minutes), didnt rush.

Finished all up, tied off, straightened up the strings, put on the lucky rubberband dampner and set it on the counter to go and get the bag ready for tommorrows hitting session.

S N A P ! ! ! While laying on the counter the string breaks at the 4th and 5th main right at the grommet. Sweet nectar I am happy as punch!

Examined the grommets, no issues that i see.

I have one more set of the same thing. Cutting out the current set and starting over with a new one. I will update after I finish the second set.

Wish me luck.

drummerdan
12-14-2009, 07:19 PM
That sucks when you go through all that and they snap without as much as a single hit. Better luck on the next set.

Toad
12-14-2009, 07:56 PM
I had this happen on a set of Global I strung up a week back...I finished stringing and put the racket in the cover. Checked it three days later (no hitting with it or anything) and the main snapped near the top...I figured I kinked it, but I am pretty careful and don't think that is what happened. I bought two sets to try it out, and this stuff just isn't worth the trouble...I'll gladly spend an extra $10 for a decent consistency.

lawlitssoo1n
12-15-2009, 11:07 AM
try pulling the tension slowly when your string it.

sidzej
12-15-2009, 01:16 PM
I've already strung 4 sets of GG and each of them lasted me more than 15 hours of heavy hitting play...I am using low tension (50) and I string very carefully on the Stringway ML100 dropweight machine...no issues so far. I will try Gaucho this weekend and I am curious if it lasts me as long as the GG...

rasajadad
12-16-2009, 05:50 AM
It seems that there are some really bad batches of Global Gut out there as well as some good ones. The batch I received was not good although some people have had better luck.

schap02
12-16-2009, 06:19 AM
I have heard similar breakage stories about this gut - people tell me it has the tendency to kink very badly and basically as soon as you see a kink in stringing it is a chance it will break, I havent strung it, havent used it so my information ins purely based on other stringers...

alidisperanza
12-16-2009, 11:38 AM
It seems that there are some really bad batches of Global Gut out there as well as some good ones. The batch I received was not good although some people have had better luck.

+1

I strung 3 frames for a tournament as crosses. Sealed them in a plastic bag, racquet case and thermal bag to bear the car trip and still found they were all popped upon arrival. Many ppl have reported similar experiences. Seems like there are bad batches and good ones.

passerofgasses
12-16-2009, 05:32 PM
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I bought 100 sets of GG (more than 1/3 of the way through) and I've had one tensioning breakage and one main that broke on me in the bag on a grommet after a couple hitting sessions. I've seen quite a few flaws, maybe averaging one tiny one every set even. The prestringing inspection is a must. Just feel for an abnormality and try to stick it nearer the bottom half of the crosses, and be VERY careful when pulling that flaw. Stick a stringsaver in there afterwards for more protection. I've never had the strings break over time on the (known) flaw, even with the very worst ones (one in 10 sets maybe) where basically 1/2 the string is broken clean (after tensioning). I have the 16 gauge natural colour, btw.

For the price of the string, I'm very satisfied. I figure the flaws are the reason for the price.

volusiano
12-16-2009, 10:59 PM
^^^Wow, that's a lot of gut you went through. Do you do a full gut setup? What's the average number of hours do you get out of each set until they break?

I wonder if you were lucky enough to get 100 sets all from a good batch...

passerofgasses
12-18-2009, 02:35 PM
^^^Wow, that's a lot of gut you went through. Do you do a full gut setup? What's the average number of hours do you get out of each set until they break?

I wonder if you were lucky enough to get 100 sets all from a good batch...

I may well be very lucky. I hope my future deliveries are as good (although they bait and switched me from 2 blood red sets as demos before my big order of natural colour came, but no huge deal). About 20 of the 100 sets came as 1 pcs, but most came as 2 X 6.5m (and although the 1pc seemed a bit cleaner, they perform near if not exactly the same). The 2 pcs are very convenient since I do almost all poly (SPPP, Blue Gear, Cyberflash) hybrids with them in the cross now. I have a homemade tensioner that I can elongate the gut with to remove most of the coil memory and that helps expose the flaws (no doorknob pull for me :-) ).

I have a very consistent friend who gets about 60 hours out of them over 3 weeks of good paced rally practice, and doubles (and yeah, I know that's like a 3hr/day average, yikes). If he didn't hit the sweetspot so much, he'd extend its life for sure.

The gut also doesn't notch the poly, so I can even use 18g mains now (just gotta avoid the shank break). The 16g gut is very durable, but I'll probably never go to their weaker stuff.

I find when I do a full gut setup, especially on a 100sqin or above, there's good control on the flatter shots, until it goes mushy after a very short while. There's no such thing as big banger gut for a reason I guess. On a 90sqin, it's managable. On a 95, it's borderline, and then once it gets old, forget it. The only advantage is big loopy spin shots with the butterfly net and the nice (or bad) soft feel of course.

southend
12-18-2009, 06:16 PM
+1

I strung 3 frames for a tournament as crosses. Sealed them in a plastic bag, racquet case and thermal bag to bear the car trip and still found they were all popped upon arrival. Many ppl have reported similar experiences. Seems like there are bad batches and good ones.
I was 0 for 3 as well with full gut (all popped "in the bag" within 1 to 3 hours of completing the string jobs); but am now 3 for 3 on hybrid applications with replacement strings from Emersoncorp. I thought I was super careful, but it is hard to pull crosses given the GNG is so sticky (eg. sticky mains and sticky crosses) --- so maybe I still wasn't careful enough. For those that are having such bad luck, consider hybriding with GNG. I don't wish to debate how careful I was, I'll accept that others have had some success and perhaps are better stringers than I -- but there are definitely some good batches and bad batches of GNG out there.

alidisperanza
12-18-2009, 10:19 PM
I've been using Gaucho recently and so far don't seem to have any problems. I try to keep my frames at as constant temp as I can though. Hey, in the end, paying 15.00 a pack beats the heck outta 44