PDA

View Full Version : Just Got a Flexbar - Now What?

Hominator
12-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Just got a green flexbar in the mail today to help with my tennis elbow. What exercises should I do now? Please describe the exercises, number of sets and reps that you do that you've found effective.

Thanks.

volusiano
12-15-2009, 03:04 AM
Look up the Tyler twist for TE and "Reverse Tyler Twist" for GE. They recommend 3 sets of 15 rep/set a day.

larry10s
12-15-2009, 05:31 AM
try reading the manual that comes with it.

charliefedererer
12-15-2009, 06:11 AM
You should be aware of an important point: the Flexbar can make your tennis elbow worse ... if you use it while your are having acute pain and overdo it.
Also, the original study used the softer Flexbar red. The green may be fine, and maybe even better for you individually, but just use common sense on how many reps you do of the twists and bends, so that if you are having acute pain you need to give it a rest.
In other words, the recommended routines are for the "average" person with tennis elbow. That means 50% will do well with it, 25% could do more, and 25% will find the average routine too much. There is no way to know where you stand until you start.
Also be mindful that this is not a miracle device. Building up your forearms with wrist curls using dumbells and even a hand gripper are all complementary to the Flexbar. And of course good technique, soft strings and a flexible frame will all work together to prevent that dreaded recurrence.

gflyer
12-15-2009, 11:16 AM
for tennis elbow there is a study where they show that eccentric exercise using flexbar help to speed up healing.
I don't think that specific exercise is listed in the manual.
in this video they show exactly the execution.
watch it few times so you are sure to understand how to execute it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV-RjM_Y_hc
in my case, I started with the red 3 sets/day up to 10-12 reps/set.
when I got comfortable I started to use the green one and mix with the red.
Right now i use it 2 times a day. 3 or 4 sets per session.
start with the red up to 20 reps (1 or 2 sets) and then the green 12/15 reps.
DON'T use it if you feel sharp pain while executing the exercise.
Go through the other rehab exercises first. Stretching, rubber bands etc.

jbravo
12-15-2009, 11:21 AM
try reading the manual that comes with it.

The manual that comes with it is worthless. The diagram for Elbow isn't through enough. You really need to see the video to understand it as there are multiple steps involved. The instructions give you the first step but not the subsequent moves.