PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on fatigue

snr
12-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Hey guys,

Thought I was in okay shape (play regularly, ski instructor in winter so I ski regularly), I also ride bikes very often in the summer as well.

Today playing some sets we warmed up then rallid hard for about 30 mins, then started a set. After 2games I was feeling pretty tired, mainly from the running.

However, the set we had a water break after this... I was fine, and for the rest of the match everything was fine wasn't tired and could run and be quick and nimble.

Now I'm wondering if I'm really THAT out of shape, or if its something to do with prep for the initial "burst" of energy usage?

On a side note, being dead for those first 2 games killed my game momentum LOL, so I'd like to see if theres anything I can do to prevent that.

larry10s
12-15-2009, 03:13 AM
you may not be doing enough interval training. after doing the sprints(playing points) you burnt out. after the water break it gave your body time to clear the lactic acid build up and your overall endurance shape gave you your second wind. may want to consider some carb source while you are beginng your warm up and playing point time so you are not si depleted when you start playing. im not an advocate of energy enhancers ie 5 hour energy etc. even tho that would help you i dont want to get used to them and feel like i cant play my best without them. thats just me.

charliefedererer
12-15-2009, 06:25 AM
Suggestions:
1. More high intensity interval workouts, either sprinting or bike riding, to boost your anaerobic fitness (it sounds like you have great aerobic fitness and could run/bike/ski at moderate speeds all day).
2. More fluids early. Soon after you start exercising, the capillary beds in the muscles dilate, and that creates a relative hypovolemia in the cardiovascular system. Your heart can compensate by beating more rapidly, but it is not as effeciently. Taking an extra 8-12 ounces just before you start playing, and keep taking sips early on, not just waiting to feel thirsty. (I like 1/2 strength Gatorade/water because it also has electolytes and a replenishes some calories you are quickly burning off.)
3.) Avoid high sugar foods/drinks just before playing. The sugar will trigger an outpouring of insulin from your pancreas, pushing you into relative hypoglycemia [low blood sugar] just as your then active, playing muscles most need normal circulating sugar levels for energy.

snr
12-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Will give a shot on interval training; and thanks for the fluids suggestion charliefederer.