PDA

View Full Version : 1 hand or 2 hand??

Jeewalk
12-14-2009, 07:33 PM
im very split between a 1 handed backhand and a 2 handed backhand, please help me decide

Blake0
12-14-2009, 07:36 PM
It depends on what you're looking for in your backhand. Want a good solid consistent backhand? 2hbh's are the way to go.

Want more reach and be able to hit more angles and approach the net easier? 1hbh's are the way to go.

There are more things then just this to it and you can do both these things with both backhands, but what i mentioned above is what the backhand is really good at doing.

marosmith
12-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Ideally everyone would have the 1 hand, but realistically in modern tennis people need to be ablee to keep a ball in play for long rallies which is hard for the 1 hand because it requires a better setup and less margin.

I am an idealist and will never hit the 2 hander!!

WildVolley
12-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Remember, almost all the top pros who play a 2hbh also use the 1hbh for slice shots - so the 1hbh appears to be the superior technique for the slice.

I believe that the main advantage to the 2hbh for topspin is that the off-hand tends to be in a stronger position for high bouncing balls and when hitting from an open stance. So if you struggle with high bouncing balls to the backhand side, it is probably best to stick with the 2hbh, which is a bit like a off-handed fh.

tennytive
12-15-2009, 06:37 AM
I am an idealist and will never hit the 2 hander!!

Hear hear, my kind of player.

I remember when Connors hit with 2 hands they changed the name to "two fisted" so as not to confuse him with the ladies??

I hated that stroke since the first time I saw it.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I always root for the one handed player in any match.

Shangri La
12-15-2009, 11:03 AM
1 hand or 2 hand??

How about dual wield ...

Netspirit
12-15-2009, 02:35 PM
If you are a club or recreational player, use whatever you like best. You can ask some people to watch your 1HBH and 2HBH shots and provide some comments.

If you are serious about competitive tennis (if you are, for example, a wannabe-pro junior), start with 2HBH as it is THE modern tennis backhand, and stick to it if it feels natural.

LeeD
12-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Majority of top mens pros use 2hbh for topspin only, and 1hbh for slice only, giving them variety and change of pace when wanted/needed.....

dragon2o00
12-15-2009, 03:00 PM
im very split between a 1 handed backhand and a 2 handed backhand, please help me decide

which one is more comfortable? personally, 2-hander was never an option. made no sense (as in why would i want to use 2 when i can just use 1) and wasn't comfortable at all.

LeeD
12-15-2009, 04:42 PM
2hbh....
For most peeps, better disguise.
Better DTL.
Easier to handle high balls
Harder to handle low balls, both the above cured with slice.
Better against fast incoming movers
Easier on your body, as you get more balance.
And you still have the one hander for wide slices, approaches, and shot hit into your body.

Rorsach
12-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Just pick whichever fits you best.

I couldn't hit a 2hbh to save my life, while my 1hbh is a solid shot.

Slazenger07
12-16-2009, 05:59 AM
1hbh rules, it can be hit harder, its easier to hit it on the run, and its a much more beautiful stroke than the 2hbh.

go with the 1hbh! :)

Slazenger07
12-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Hear hear, my kind of player.

I remember when Connors hit with 2 hands they changed the name to "two fisted" so as not to confuse him with the ladies??

I hated that stroke since the first time I saw it.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I always root for the one handed player in any match.

same here, I root for the one-hander, unless Rafa's playing

Bud
12-16-2009, 06:21 AM
1hbh rules, it can be hit harder, its easier to hit it on the run, and its a much more beautiful stroke than the 2hbh.

go with the 1hbh! :)

I disagree. After using both... a TS 2HBH is much easier to hit on the run while creating an offensive angle on the shot.

It's very difficult to hit a TS 1HBH when on the run or pushed wide. Most times, you must resort to a slice 1HBH for those shots... which then places you in a defensive position within the rally.

Slazenger07
12-16-2009, 06:40 AM
well we are in disagreement then, cause Ive used a 2hbh in the past and I feel the 1hbh is easier to hit on the run. Most of the time I will slice my backhand when on the run anyways.

Slazenger07
12-16-2009, 06:42 AM
actually when I hit a slice backhand, Im usually put in at least a neutral position in the rally if not taking control of it, but my slice backhand is one of my best shots.

LeeD
12-16-2009, 08:11 AM
er.....
Just what are we saying here?
Look at the top 100 pros and you see a mix of 1 and 2 hbh's, depending on what they started with as a youngster.
Lots of 2hbh because younger, smaller players needed two hands to start, and didn't change from there .... except Sampras.
Some 1hbh's, but less than 2's.
As an adult starting tennis, you have the choice. For sure, as a beginner, 2hbh is more consistent and easier. But as you get past beginner, it depends more on how much you practice, what your general strategy and tennis brains wants you to do, and what your preferences are.
Both work, one is not better than the other, just different.