PDA

View Full Version : AG International Nylon

ace0001a
12-14-2009, 09:29 PM
I've tried to do a search on this and it seems that these days and especially on this forum, the more well know cheap nylon string is Forten Competition Nylon. But I've seen around the web a brand called AG Internationa Nylon. Anyone ever use this brand of nylon and how it compares to Forten?

SteveI
12-15-2009, 02:20 AM
I've tried to do a search on this and it seems that these days and especially on this forum, the more well know cheap nylon string is Forten Competition Nylon. But I've seen around the web a brand called AG Internationa Nylon. Anyone ever use this brand of nylon and how it compares to Forten?

Hi,

Got a few sets (AG100 15L)...played better than Forten Competition Nylon IMHO..played closer to a reg syn gut. Really hard to break.. decent power. Not all the wonderful for producing spin as you might have guessed. Good comfort.

Regards,
Steve

ace0001a
12-15-2009, 04:12 AM
From what the product description says about AG International Nylon is that it's been around since the 1970s. I can believe that. I know the Forten Competition Nylon tends to feel real mushy in a full job, but seems to work great when hybrided with moderately stiff to stiff Poly strings. So it sounds like AG would feel crispier than Forten while still having a high level of softness to it...probably has to do with the fact that it's "double wrapped". It seems that AG still makes a variety of strings, but not too many people sell them.

SteveI
12-15-2009, 05:34 AM
From what the product description says about AG International Nylon is that it's been around since the 1970s. I can believe that. I know the Forten Competition Nylon tends to feel real mushy in a full job, but seems to work great when hybrided with moderately stiff to stiff Poly strings. So it sounds like AG would feel crispier than Forten while still having a high level of softness to it...probably has to do with the fact that it's "double wrapped". It seems that AG still makes a variety of strings, but not too many people sell them.

Hi,

The one I played was the AG International AG 16 Nylon 1.31 205 11.54

You can see the string is on the stiffer side/firm (205) but does hold tension quite nicely (11.54). The price I saw for a reel was $27.00 but that is for 330feet. Not really a great deal.. seeing that OG is $29.99 /660 ft and Forten is about $16-18 /660 ft. BTW.. I liked the string and would use it if the price was right.

Steve

ace0001a
12-15-2009, 07:33 AM
A reel of AG International Nylon 15L (1.35) 660 feet can be had for $17.95 + shipping from an online retailer that sounds like hollow bird. Not bad for the money I guess. A reel of Gosen OG Micro will set you back about $12 more, so I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. I think if the goal is to use it to hybrid with Polys, it could be just as good as using Forten if not better in that price range.

SteveI
12-15-2009, 07:44 AM
A reel of AG International Nylon 15L (1.35) 660 feet can be had for $17.95 + shipping from an online retailer that sounds like hollow bird. Not bad for the money I guess. A reel of Gosen OG Micro will set you back about $12 more, so I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. I think if the goal is to use it to hybrid with Polys, it could be just as good as using Forten if not better in that price range.

Yes.. nice deal @ 17.95 for 660 feet. I got two reels of the Forten 16 for $27.00 shipped a while back.. The AG is better string as far as I can tell..

ace0001a
12-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Wow, I'm a bit surprised no one else besides me and SteveI have had experience with this string. To me, cheap nylon can serve two types of people: Those who belong to the "cheap player's club" and are simply budgeting the best they can or those looking to hybrid while keeping cost in mind when doing so.

blackfrido
12-16-2009, 06:43 AM
just curious, any other opinions on this AG International Nylon string?

ace0001a
12-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Just got a reel of AG 100 15L Nylon, but haven't given it a try yet. As I've mentioned before here that blue is my favorite color and I was drawn in by the color, so I had to get a reel to try it out. For $18, I figure it's cheap enough to have lying around even if I didn't really like it. From what I can tell so far from touching it, it has a very similar feel to Forten in that it's a soft nylon. I don't think I will use it in a full bed as lately I've been convinced that soft nylon strings make excellent cross strings in hybriding with Polys. Bottom line though, for the price for an entire reel of either AG or Forten nylon makes it worth it just to have it lying around for emergencies and miscellaneous usage (like stringing buddies' racquets who don't care about what it is).

blackfrido
01-02-2010, 09:47 AM
ace0001a,
any further comments on AG International Nylon string?

ace0001a
01-02-2010, 12:56 PM
ace0001a,
any further comments on AG International Nylon string?

Haven't tried it in a full job yet, only as crosses hybrided with Poly mains. Seems more dead feeling to me compared to Forten in this configuration, whereas Forten seems more crispy when hybrided with a moderately stiff Poly. Maybe it feels better in a full job, but that was never really my intention when I ordered it. I was thinking all cheap nylon strings were suppose to be really soft, but I guess like higher grade nylons (basically what has been called "Synthetic Gut"), some are more crispy feeling than others. Still to me, it's not a bad reel of string to have lying around considering it's $18 a reel.

blackfrido
01-03-2010, 02:00 PM
^thanks again!

beststringer
02-22-2010, 01:11 AM
AG 100 feels like a 1/2 multifiliment. it's powerful so if you play with gosen, you may want to add 5 to 10 lbs to it.

hard to break. for spin, u can add some string savers or use sand papers.

feel, not as good as 17gs gosens. but very soft and powerful.