PDA

View Full Version : Agnieszka Radwanska's Open Stance Backhand

julian
12-15-2009, 12:06 PM
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/instruction.aspx?articleid=2880&zoneid=12
It a last post of my life.
Possible questions:
how difficult is to teach a open stance bachand?
is it 11 on a scale between 1 and 10?

MichaelChang
12-15-2009, 12:46 PM
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/instruction.aspx?articleid=2880&zoneid=12
Possible questions:

to save your life, I have to say this is a nice find!
The key to this shot is shoulder turn. I am not a coach, just my own experience when practicing this shot.

But it indeed is much harder than a close-stance 2hbh.

split-step
12-15-2009, 12:50 PM
It's pretty easy IMO.

julian
12-15-2009, 01:18 PM
It's pretty easy IMO.
Please elaborate

julian
12-15-2009, 01:21 PM
to save your life, I have to say this is a nice find!
The key to this shot is shoulder turn. I am not a coach, just my own experience when practicing this shot.

But it indeed is much harder than a close-stance 2hbh.
It is taught in two cases:
1.very early in a junior developmemt
2.for students of a very high flex,say.Willams sisters

dman72
12-15-2009, 01:24 PM
It is taught in two cases:
1.very early in a junior developmemt
2.for students of a very high flex,say.Willams sisters

I was going to say, Agies backhand looks quite a bit like Venus' .

julian
12-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Your USPTA question can be ONLY answered by an E-mail sent to me-
I am very sorry

julian
12-15-2009, 02:09 PM
For BB
see
xxxxxxxx
The original link to www.uspta.org a tip of the day is gone.
http://benefits.uspta.com/default.aspx/MenuItemID/1588/MenuGroup/MO-MembersHome+%28Copy2%29.htm
is of use for uspta members.
Sorry I cannot help more

Bungalo Bill
12-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Possible questions:

It is not difficult to teach the open stance twohanded backhand. Much of the preparation that is used in the open stance forehand can transfer to the twohanded backhand. It is the same setup and planting of the back foot. The racquet tends to go back using the "smile" pattern of the onehanded backhand. From there, the normal pivot and weight transfer to rebalance applies.

On a scale of one to ten, it would be a 3.

The main thing with teaching tennis is ensuring that you keep it simple. The student and their natural rhythmic flow will connect the dots. The dots are your key instructional points, steps, positions, phases, frames. These dots should be based around fundamentals. Let the player grow and work at it for their own discovery and learning within the context of good fundamentals and your learning points.

The feet can play a key role in helping a student get more comfortable with an open stance forehand. I have yet to have an issue with it. In the picture you showed above, the player is moving their feet and when they plant, they step out and away (open stance) for their timing step before bringing the racquet forward. Weight is centered and does not follow the right foot step right away. Back shoulder will rotate back into the ball over this stance.

After the shot is performed, the angular momentum that is slowing down, allows the back foot to lift up and "come around" so that the player can push off to their recovery position.

When you teach the open stance, a lot of it will come naturally because of the momentum one creates in the shot. In other words, if a player uses his angular momentum correctly, this will flow into allowing them to bring their back foot around for their recovery.

julian
12-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Open stance backhand is relatively rare.
Why ?l
Majority of closed stance 2BB seem to be more efficient?
Why?
I can define efficient if pushed to a wall

Bungalo Bill
12-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Open stance backhand is relatively rare.
Why ?l
Majority of closed stance 2BB seem to be more efficient?
Why?
I can define efficient if pushed to a wall

Who said it was relatively rare?

The twohanded backhand is not a very good closed stance backhand although it can be done. Twohanded hitters should use neutral to open.

Okay, define it.

julian
12-15-2009, 04:03 PM

The twohanded backhand is not a very good closed stance backhand although it can be done. Twohanded hitters should use neutral to open.

Okay, define it.
May I wish you Merry Christmas first?

MichaelChang
12-15-2009, 04:49 PM
off topic:
Did the other OscarW. thread just got deleted? lol. how come every single OW thread always end up like that? :)

LeeD
12-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Open stanced 2hbh's.....
Easy if you adopt oft hand dominant with SW or W grips.
Hard to be accurate if you use both hands conti.
So grip makes a huge difference.

UnforcedError
12-15-2009, 05:44 PM
I use a neutral to open stance for my 2hbh I don't see why it would be considered hard.

That thread about the Spanish RPT model might help to explain why an open stance would work well for some people. Actually it was in the videos in the thread where the guy talked about differences in weight transfer between an open and closed stance. Closed stance requires more forward weight transfer and open stance requires more body rotation and or something like that. I'm not a coach but it made sense to me and might explain why I hit a better 2hbh with a neutral to open stance.

LeeD
12-15-2009, 06:12 PM
UE, betcha you also employ a SW or W grips for the 2hbh..... the topspin stroke.

julian
12-15-2009, 06:15 PM
off topic:
Did the other OscarW. thread just got deleted? lol. how come every single OW thread always end up like that? :)

2 are gone recently "It is prudent to be prudent"

julian
12-15-2009, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=Bungalo Bill;4198842]Who said it was relatively rare?

Okay, define it
xxxxx
provides an interesting reading

julian
12-15-2009, 06:37 PM
I use a neutral to open stance for my 2hbh I don't see why it would be considered hard.

That thread about the Spanish RPT model might help to explain why an open stance would work well for some people. Actually it was in the videos in the thread where the guy talked about differences in weight transfer between an open and closed stance. Closed stance requires more forward weight transfer and open stance requires more body rotation and or something like that. I'm not a coach but it made sense to me and might explain why I hit a better 2hbh with a neutral to open stance.
Deception and recovery are of some importance in this comparison
see
xxxxx

tennisguy2009
12-15-2009, 07:28 PM
this is a pretty interesting thread

I am busy learning a 2hb, wonder if I can learn it open stance, initially my natural inclination on trying a 2hb was to try it in the open stance, but coach said don't so I never really tried it out properly.

but the thing I hate about tennis backhand (both 1 and 2 handed) is that closed stance, it just feels so weak and unstable.

I play forehand side super wide open stance, feels so strong, I can also hit the ball extremely hard with tons of spin.

I think I have to try out the open stance 2hb.

Bungalo Bill
12-15-2009, 08:49 PM
off topic:

Thank goodness.

Ano
12-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Thank goodness.

OP, I apologize for hijacking this thread.

BB, could you please take a look at this thread : http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=288425&page=4

Thanks.

Bungalo Bill
12-15-2009, 08:59 PM
May I wish you Merry Christmas first?

You sure can. Merry Christmas to you!

ms87
12-15-2009, 11:13 PM
open stance backhand is pretty easy to learn, the biggest problem for many people is learning not to pull away from the ball too soon

Djokovicfan4life
12-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Haha, nice little MTM parody you've got going on here.

sureshs
12-16-2009, 05:21 AM
Thank goodness.

He is back:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=302259

MichaelChang
12-16-2009, 07:23 AM
He is back:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=302259

gone again. lol. the mods are probably really sick of it.

sureshs
12-16-2009, 07:29 AM
gone again. lol. the mods are probably really sick of it.

He started out saying he would post free instruction and no more plugging his products, and then plugged his dvds at the end of the post! I think he can't control himself.

MichaelChang
12-16-2009, 07:34 AM
He started out saying he would post free instruction and no more plugging his products, and then plugged his dvds at the end of the post! I think he can't control himself.

LMAO. Did he? I read that post but maybe he edited and added stuff. and now the thread is gone. :) never seen something like that.

Bungalo Bill
12-16-2009, 07:51 AM
OP, I apologize for hijacking this thread.

BB, could you please take a look at this thread : http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=288425&page=4

Thanks.

I posted on it. Not sure what else you want me to provide. It is a good looking slice balchand. Followthrough cuts off a bit short for my liking but all-in-all it is good.

sureshs
12-16-2009, 07:52 AM
LMAO. Did he? I read that post but maybe he edited and added stuff. and now the thread is gone. :) never seen something like that.

He didn't post links, but mentioned the DVDs, as far as I can remember. It is gone now, so can't verify it. Funny thing about him is he is so full of himself that he cannot understand that he has been proven wrong on all counts by video evidence. He talks "over" others as if they don't exist. Only way he can avoid a debate and continue selling stuff I guess.

drakulie
12-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Doesn't look like an open stance to me. Looks more like a semi-open.

drakulie
12-16-2009, 07:59 AM
off topic:

The moderators had mercy on him. Suresh, Bungalo, and myself were bombing him, his theories, and cult following into submission.

The mods felt it was enough.

sureshs
12-16-2009, 08:05 AM
The moderators had mercy on him. Suresh, Bungalo, and myself were bombing him, his theories, and cult following into submission.

The mods felt it was enough.

It started looking bad because the responses stopped. Had there been a debate, the thread would have survived. But it took on the nature of a one-sided discussion, but that was only because videos were found which enabled a concrete discussion. Instead of playing with words, we could actually see and evaluate for ourselves. Sadly, there were no clarifications or responses when the visual stuff was presented and challenged.

drakulie
12-16-2009, 08:36 AM
^^It was a shark frenzy:

http://dsc.discovery.com/sharks/shark-pictures/images/caribbean-reef-feeding-frenzy.jpg

Bungalo Bill
12-16-2009, 08:50 AM
^^It was a shark frenzy:

http://dsc.discovery.com/sharks/shark-pictures/images/caribbean-reef-feeding-frenzy.jpg

It was meat.

julian
12-16-2009, 12:44 PM
You may see
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=302474

julian
12-17-2009, 08:41 AM

Okay, define it.
BB,it is for you.I will probably delete a post below tomorrow-taking 2 much time.
I will expand a post below a bit more-I am stuck at my club-very sorry
Couple of very random thoughts:

1.an angle describing rotation is a measure of efficiency of a double handed backhand.
It is defined as a difference of an angle of a final location of a ,say.right shoulder- an angle of an initial location of right shoulder
It can be used as a measure of comparison between TWO players hitting
a ball inside,say,a single court.
The angle mentioned above may vary between 90 to 135 degrees.

2.a variable(ange) described above is related to an amount of an angular
momentum generated

3.basically we may have an analysis of a forehand hit by a left hand of a right handed player.
Therefore we could.if we want to, compare EFFICIENCIES of a left handed forehand with an open stance
to a left handed forehand with a closed stance.

4.a control element is a right hand.it has a characteristic shape called "a swan's neck"
see Picture 3 of the original post.

5.an axis of rotation is generally a right leg for right handers.
Nicolas Kiefer is right handed but it seems that he rotates around his left leg-see Ref [1]

References:
[1]Duane Knudson "Biomechanical Principles of Tennis Technique" Page 107 a picture of Nicolas Kiefer
[2]http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/tour_strokes/john_yandell/serena_serve_and_venus_two_hander/serena_serve_and_venus_two_hander.html
[3]

PS From some reasons I cannot get Reference [2] in one straight line to be "clickable"

julian
12-17-2009, 09:24 AM
this is a pretty interesting thread

I am busy learning a 2hb, wonder if I can learn it open stance, initially my natural inclination on trying a 2hb was to try it in the open stance, but coach said don't so I never really tried it out properly.

but the thing I hate about tennis backhand (both 1 and 2 handed) is that closed stance, it just feels so weak and unstable.

I play forehand side super wide open stance, feels so strong, I can also hit the ball extremely hard with tons of spin.

I think I have to try out the open stance 2hb.
Please let me know whether your coach justified his "no".
I USED to be of a same opinion some time ago

Bungalo Bill
12-17-2009, 10:30 AM
The best stances for the twohanded backhand are from neutral or forward to open.

The twohanded backhand becuase of the rotation it is using needs to have the hips free to swivel or turn.

A closed stance by definition closes the hips which is not great for twohanders although they can make a shot with this stance.

We are talking about what twohanders best choices are.

For the onehander, because the rotation of the shoulders stops to let the arm come through linearily, the onehanded backhand can hit from a closed stance. However, because the onehanded backhand is more linear in nature, it is not a great stroke for an open stance.

A twohander can hit from a closed stance but it is not the preferred stance. A onehander can hit from an open stance but it is not the preferred stance.

julian
12-17-2009, 02:15 PM
The best stances for the twohanded backhand are from neutral or forward to open.

The twohanded backhand becuase of the rotation it is using needs to have the hips free to swivel or turn.

A closed stance by definition closes the hips which is not great for twohanders although they can make a shot with this stance.

For the onehander, because the rotation of the shoulders stops to let the arm come through linearily, the onehanded backhand can hit from a closed stance. However, because the onehanded backhand is more linear in nature, it is not a great stroke for an open stance.

A twohander can hit from a closed stance but it is not the preferred stance. A onehander can hit from an open stance but it is not the preferred stance.
BB,
is your post above :
a) a response to me
b) a response to tennisguy2009
c) none of above ?

Bungalo Bill
12-17-2009, 03:26 PM
BB,
is your post above :
a) a response to me
b) a response to tennisguy2009
c) none of above ?

It is to the general discussion. If I address it to someone, I usually have their post in a quote. If I am using someone's post in quotes for my post but addressing it for general discussion, I will usually qualify that by saying so. :)

tennisguy2009
12-17-2009, 08:26 PM
ok, so I am 1 week into learning a 2hb

today I tried the open stance and it feels much better to me than closed, feels more natural.

what am I doing wrong and right? filmed myself trying it out today against ball machine, added some forehand footage for criticism too.

was filmed in HD but the website made it much smaller, oh well.

http://www.vimeo.com/8252918

julian
12-18-2009, 07:58 AM
ok, so I am 1 week into learning a 2hb

today I tried the open stance and it feels much better to me than closed, feels more natural.

what am I doing wrong and right? filmed myself trying it out today against ball machine, added some forehand footage for criticism too.

was filmed in HD but the website made it much smaller, oh well.

http://www.vimeo.com/8252918
Could you answer my post above entitled "justification for "'no"" ?

tennisguy2009
12-18-2009, 08:58 AM
my coach, (who is a world class player), said that the reason he doesn't like the idea much for open stance backhand is because

1) 99% of men players on tour do not use it
2) he believes closed stance will give more power for winners
3) he was worried that on harder shots to the backhand side, the super down to up kind of swing I was trying out is going to be too hard to control and time.

however, since I will never be a pro player, he was willing to humor the idea, I don't actually think he had considered the idea of playing every single backhand open stance. He is pretty open minded about stuff for the recreational player (such as myself). He got more interested when he saw I can actually hit the ball with very few unforced errors in a practice relaxed rally using that open stance backhand (no chance I can do that in closed 2 hand backhand, I have trouble generating forward momentum with closed stance 2 hand backhand). Also in that open stance I can aim really easily, I can hit 100% of my shots cross-court, no problem, after using it for one day.

All I can say is that to me, after playing that open stance backhand for about 3 hours, it feels much more natural than either the close stance 2hb or the 1hb. It feels a lot more like my forehand.

I am going to stick with it for a month, if its not better than my 1hb by then I will re-evaluate. But I think its going to be much better, I can feel it, I am hitting it after 1 day even though i really don't know what I am doing yet.

Ash_Smith
12-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Carl Maes once told me "For forehands - hit open when you can, closed or neutral when you have to. For backhands - hit closed or neutral when you can, open when you have to"

Not sure if it helps much here - but it's something i've always remembered!

Bud
12-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Carl Maes once told me "For forehands - hit open when you can, closed or neutral when you have to. For backhands - hit closed or neutral when you can, open when you have to"

This is great advice, IMO!

The open-stance 2HBH works great on serve return or if you're jammed/short on time. However, it's not easy to get the timing down when on the run. It's not as natural for a righty (as an example) to hit an OS 2HBH.

As a righty... it's more natural for me to plant my right foot to hit open-stance on the FH side and also to plant my right foot to hit closed/neutral stance on the 2HBH. Something to do with the left/right handed thing.

I tried actively using the open-stance 2HBH but it's definitely not as natural when running laterally toward the ball.

Bungalo Bill
12-19-2009, 10:06 PM

:), that is close to what I posted on #40. However, I didn't get that from Carl Maes. Except I do not agree that a player should follow the backhand information for the twohanded backhand. The twohander more resembles the forehand above. The onehanded backhand would work with what you have described because the onehander is more linear.

Originally Posted by Bungalo Bill http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=4203234#post4203234)

Ash_Smith
12-20-2009, 02:35 AM
:), that is close to what I posted on #40. However, I didn't get that from Carl Maes. Except I do not agree that a player should follow the backhand information for the twohanded backhand. The twohander more resembles the forehand above. The onehanded backhand would work with what you have described because the onehander is more linear.

[/I]

Agree, with your thoughts on the single hander being more linear - what if your 2 hander is bottom hand dominant? Top hand dominant would be similar to the forehand in execution, but a bottom hand dominant 2 hander would be more linear in execution.

I can also see the arm configuration having a bearing - a bent/bent configuration (a la most of the WTA tour) would have more success from an open stance than a bent/straight or straight/straight configuration? Is this why we see it more on the WTA tour than the ATP?