PDA

View Full Version : ACT Science portion opt-out?

YULitle
12-15-2009, 12:08 PM
I am involved in the administering of the ACTs at the university where I work. We provide testing for kids that live anywhere from across the street to an hour-plus away. There isn't much else out here, so we have quite a few come through. I've only done 5 test dates since I moved here and one thing sticks out beyond the obvious ineptitudes of high school students (such as bringing no pencils, no calculator, etc...) That's this:

Some students don't take the science portion. They take all of the other tests, but when the 4th test (scientific literacy, essentially), they don't. They just put their answer document in their test booklet and sit quietly until the finish.

Anyone have any idea why? I don't know enough about the ACT, oddly enough, to have a good guess.

jrod
12-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't know enough about it, but is it possible the folks opting out of the science portion have no intention of pursuing a B.S.xx degree assuming they go on to college?

I know around here (New England), science scores are expected as a key part of the assortment of college entrance/placement exams offered.

aksman
12-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Where do you live? Religious objections, maybe???

YULitle
12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Where do you live? Religious objections, maybe???

I certainly live in an area where that might be possible, if anywhere. I just didn't want to jump to conclusions right away.

r2473
12-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Did you mention the part about filling in the ovals when you handed out the science test?

yodudedudeyo
12-15-2009, 01:39 PM
That's really odd, seeing how the science part of the ACT is averaged with the scores from other sections to give a composite score.

B-rian
12-16-2009, 06:43 PM
well i took the ACTs in october and got a composite score of 29.. eng-29 math-32 reading-31 writing-27 and science-25.. but in my single experience the science portion was one of the most annoying and irritating portions of any test i have ever taken.. it was just a combination of graph after graph and chart after chart! i hated it!! it seemed so pointless i thought i was going to be tested on some type of bio or chem but nope! all i get is graphs and charts i was seriously irritated while taking that portion and i really wanted to completely give up haha

tennisman917
12-19-2009, 11:30 AM
some kids probably just get tired from taking the 3 parts before that they just give up on the last portion of the test..... personally i would just guess your bound to get atleast 1 or 2 rite