PDA

View Full Version : Need help stringing Pure Drive GT PRONTO!

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-15-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm using the Gamma X-2 machine to string my Pure Drive GT. I'm doing two-piece stringing and skipped mains 8T and 8H. However, after i finished stringing the mains, the string bed looked a little off. I counted 16 main strings. I quadruple checked to make sure i skipped 8H and 8T. 6H and 7H look a little off on one side of the stringbed. Also, I am not able to string 19 crosses... the holes don't match up. What could I be doing wrong?

I also find it very hard to insert the string into the grommet where i am supposed to do a starting knot. It seems that the main string is blocking the entrance. Is this normal?

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Also, when I do the first and second cross, everything seems to look fine. then when i string the third cross and put it through the next open grommet, the string looks slanted. I checked to see if I skipped any grommets as well. No grommets were skipped.

dancraig
12-15-2009, 05:22 PM
You may have not started in the middle of the racquet when you did the mains. It happens.

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-15-2009, 05:31 PM
You may have not started in the middle of the racquet when you did the mains. It happens.

I'm pretty sure I did start in the middle, doubled checked again to make sure.

dancraig
12-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Check again, especially at the top.

dancraig
12-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Sometimes it looks like the middle, but it isn't.

number.432
12-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Did you start from throat?

davidahenry
12-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Here is the pattern for two-piece stringing of your stick...

Start Mains: T
Main Skips: 8T and 8H
Tie Off Mains: 6T
Start Crosses: 8H
Last Cross: 8T
Tie Off Crosses: 7H, 10T

Go back and carefully look at everything. You had to have missed something somewhere. Are you sure you skipped 8T and 8H? Do 9T and 9H occupy your last main?

To answer your question about the starting knot location... You'll see above that it should be 7H. That is obviously a shared hole with a main, so you might have a little difficulty getting the string through but not too much - as it should be a slightly enlarged tie off grommet.

If you still can't figure out what went wrong, can you post a picture for us to see? That way, we can better diagnose the problem.

Good luck.

DH

dancraig
12-15-2009, 06:11 PM
He didn't start in the middle. That's classic "didn't start in the middle" stuff.
With some frames the grommet strip doesn't connect exactly in the middle, this can trick you into thinking it's the middle. With other frames it's just plain hard to see where the middle is. That's why I appreciate the companies that put a middle mark on their frames.

Doc Hollidae
12-15-2009, 06:17 PM
A few things could have happenned:
1) Didn't start the mains from the throat.
2) Didn't start the mains in the middle.
3) Skipped or didn't skip the correct holes.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Since you started off center a next time make a hole mark in the center of the head guard so it won't happen again.

davidahenry
12-15-2009, 07:20 PM
That's why I appreciate the companies that put a middle mark on their frames.

Amen to that!

DH

diredesire
12-15-2009, 08:28 PM
A few things could have happenned:
1) Didn't start the mains from the throat.
2) Didn't start the mains in the middle.
3) Skipped or didn't skip the correct holes.

You can't get far enough to tie off the mains if he didn't start at the throat, unless he was extremely creative.

I'd guess a mis-mount, too, if i had to diagnose without looking.

dancraig
12-15-2009, 08:47 PM
You can't get far enough to tie off the mains if he didn't start at the throat, unless he was extremely creative.

I'd guess a mis-mount, too, if i had to diagnose without looking.

That's why I insert the first two mains before mounting the frame. I think it's easier to "eyeball" the center before the racquet is mounted.

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks a lot guys! So I checked again and indeed, it was not the middle. Now I have three questions.

1. I took off the main strings carefully. Can i apply tension to them again them again? I heard that since they've been stretched, I should lower the tension? If so, how many pounds?

2. For all the X-2 Users out there, how snugly are you supposed to mount your racquet? Are the metal rods supposed to be touching the frame? When it's time to unmount the racket, I can't seem to move the support posts (yes, I did unscrew them) and take the racquet out. I have to take out the strings before the support posts will move.

3. Are there any helpful tips to finding where the middle is? I think I've found it, but I want to make sure.

COPEY
12-16-2009, 04:16 AM
Hi tImB :)

(1) Since it's your racquet, go ahead and retension and finish it up soley for the sake of practice and knowing what it feels like to finish a string job. If you don't like how it feels on the court, cut 'em out and start anew.

(2) I'm not an X-2 owner, but if memory serves me correctly, I believe you should avoid overtightening when mounting a racquet on any machine. As for the rods, I have no idea since I have no experience on your machine. Hopefully one of the many X-2 owners on this board can can offer up a little input.

(3) For your racquet I'd take the advice of JFB and mark the bumper guard or use a permanent marker, placing a dot on your frame in between the two grommets to denote where the center is. If you're going to be stringing for others, a lot of the newer racquets already have some sort of marking that designates where the center of the racquet is. I've always been able to eyeball it, but if you don't trust your eyes and there's no mark, you can always count grommets.

Irvin
12-16-2009, 04:35 AM
...Are there any helpful tips to finding where the middle is? I think I've found it, but I want to make sure.

Most rackets have a small dot in the center of the racket. After installing the first two mains eyeball the strings to make sure they line up with the butt cap of the racket and down the center of the handle. If they are off to the side you have made a mistake. Also a string stretched from where you think the top center is and the center of the butt cap will go directly through the middle of the throat's two center holes.

All the grommet holes at the top of the racket will not be evenly spaced. Look for a symmetrical pattern and count to the center. Like there may be two grommets that are very close or far apart. Count the holes between those grommets if there are eight grommet holes the point between the fourth and fifth will be the center.

I have a 6 point mounting system with self centering side mounts (the 2 and 10, and the 4 and 8 are self centering.) I mount the racket with the 4, 6, and 8 o'clock mount points and then close the 12 o'clock mount point in. It is ALWAYS centered on the racket - ALWAYS - ALWAYS - ALWAYS.

Irvin

jmverdugo
12-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Now that OP problem is solved I would like to point out that IMO both pure drives and aero drives seem to have a bit of a "Fan" type of string bed. The outer mains are not really parallel to the rest.

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Based on the tips given, I think I've found the center and I've made a mark there.

When mounting on a 2 point, can overtightening make it hard to remove the racquet from the machine? I want to string my racket again, but I'm afraid that after I'm done, I won't be able to take the racquet out without removing the strings.

I made a mistake by overtightening last time, and now I see the damage done... nothing major though. I should have read the USRSA manual that came with my machine instead of the useless Gamma one.

dancraig
12-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Based on the tips given, I think I've found the center and I've made a mark there.

When mounting on a 2 point, can overtightening make it hard to remove the racquet from the machine? I want to string my racket again, but I'm afraid that after I'm done, I won't be able to take the racquet out without removing the strings.

I made a mistake by overtightening last time, and now I see the damage done... nothing major though. I should have read the USRSA manual that came with my machine instead of the useless Gamma one.

Make sure the mounting is secure.The racquet can shorten and get rounder while stringing, making it difficult to remove.

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks to all! I figured out how to mount my racquet correctly and completed my first stringjob! Boy, does that feel good.

Another question though, is it normal to have the crosses a little crooked? They aren't exactly what I call parallel. I'm thinking it might be due to my fat bulky gamma x-2 clamps...

COPEY
12-16-2009, 10:24 PM
It's commonly referred to as "frowning". If you watched Yulitle's video on crosses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0FPGEBcBHo&fmt=18), you'll see where he places his fingers on the cross string and applies pressure while tensioning. It helps keep the crosses straight, all but eliminating the need for straightening the strings afterwards.

You can also use a setting off tool after the job is complete. Personally, I prefer the former method.

Feels good to finish that first racquet, huh? :) Oh hey, did you figure out what strings you're going to use to try and offset the stiffness of your racquet?

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks! I wish I had found this video earlier... thank you for the link! And thanks to YUlitle also... his stringing videos are amazing.

COPEY
12-17-2009, 04:10 AM
Yep, he's the man alright. Do yourself a favor, though; buy a starting clamp. It's not considered a "necessity", but it's definitely a very handy tool to have. Among other uses, the first time you come up just short trying to finish mains or crosses, you'll be glad you had one.