PDA

View Full Version : Home made starting string clamp?

robow7
12-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Has anyone ever made a starting clamp (or have any other ideas) that can be used in order to keep the adjacent main string in place on the first pull, since it always seems to slip thru my clamp, unless I really mash it down? Thanks for your suggestions.

ogruskie
12-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Why don't you shell out the $30 or so to buy a legitimate clamp and save yourself the frustration

COPEY
12-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Has anyone ever made a starting clamp (or have any other ideas) that can be used in order to keep the adjacent main string in place on the first pull, since it always seems to slip thru my clamp, unless I really mash it down? Thanks for your suggestions.

What kind of machine do you have, and have you tried cleaning the clamp?

dancraig
12-15-2009, 11:45 PM

You can use a good floating clamp. Someone said you could use a vise clamp.

Irvin
12-16-2009, 02:52 AM
Set tension in your clamp by first pulling tension on the first two mains. Then pull all main strings one at a time starting with the first main that is not clamped.

Irvin

Lakers4Life
12-16-2009, 08:01 AM
You can use a good floating clamp. Someone said you could use a vise clamp.

I used an extra String clamp, while waiting for my starting clamp to become available. A small Vise Grip also works, I used excess overgrip material to protect the string from the Vise Grip's teeth.

Though cleaning and adjusting the string clamps is always the first course of action.

txt858
12-16-2009, 08:48 AM
I got these. But after shipping ($7.00) and taxes it almost came out to be $25 bucks.

http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/pp600.html

http://www.eagnas.com/jpgp/pp600.jpg

Irvin
12-16-2009, 12:09 PM
BTW starting clamps are not meant for starting mains they are meant for starting cross strings, although many do use them to start mains also and there is nothing wrong with that.

Irvin

topanlego
12-16-2009, 02:39 PM
BTW starting clamps are not meant for starting mains they are meant for starting cross strings, although many do use them to start mains also and there is nothing wrong with that.

Irvin

With flying clamps, using a starting clamp is about the only way to start the mains without double pulling. You can use the other flying clamp as a starting clamp.

Irvin
12-16-2009, 03:14 PM
With flying clamps, using a starting clamp is about the only way to start the mains without double pulling. You can use the other flying clamp as a starting clamp.

If you use flying clamps.

Irvin

benasp
12-16-2009, 03:33 PM
I suggest adding two 1inch metal plate between vice grip and put the string between, ause with just a vise grip i fear that it will broke the string due to the little gripping surface