PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a string. (wall of text)

Kenny022593
12-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Hello, I am an upcoming Serve and Vollier according to my Pro. I have been working on it alot lately and i guess i have gotten pretty good at it. My problem is now I don't know what string to use. Currently i am using a full bed of cyber flash at 57 on my RDiS 100 mid. With my style of play (Spin first and second serve, flatter strokes compared to other juniors, and volleys) I cannot seem to break the Cyber Flash (my mom only lets me get my racquet strung when it breaks). Also, the Cyber Flash seems to lack feel from other strings I have used. Probably because it is a co-poly.

Currently i have Gosen sheep micro 17, Polyon Ice (this is stiffer than cyber flash isn't it?) and Forten Nylon 16.

So basically i am asking what string you would recommend that is a good "feel" string that is not too expensive and i can get it restrung every 3-4 weeks because it breaks. Would you say just a simple SynGut or Nylon? Or should i look into something like E-Matrix?

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Hello, I am an upcoming Serve and Vollier according to my Pro. I have been working on it alot lately and i guess i have gotten pretty good at it. My problem is now I don't know what string to use. Currently i am using a full bed of cyber flash at 57 on my RDiS 100 mid. With my style of play (Spin first and second serve, flatter strokes compared to other juniors, and volleys) I cannot seem to break the Cyber Flash (my mom only lets me get my racquet strung when it breaks). Also, the Cyber Flash seems to lack feel from other strings I have used. Probably because it is a co-poly.

Currently i have Gosen sheep micro 17, Polyon Ice (this is stiffer than cyber flash isn't it?) and Forten Nylon 16.

So basically i am asking what string you would recommend that is a good "feel" string that is not too expensive and i can get it restrung every 3-4 weeks because it breaks. Would you say just a simple SynGut or Nylon? Or should i look into something like E-Matrix?

Well if you aren't breaking strings, get some thin natural gut. Babolat 17 gauge or 18 gauge should work well. Might want to string it a few lbs tighter to control the power though.

ogruskie
12-15-2009, 07:57 PM

Unless you're an extremely heavy hitter, you won't be breaking poly with flat strokes. CF is naturally a stiff string, so of course at 57 lbs it's going to lack feel. If you want more feel out of a poly then string extremely low tension. Otherwise if you want the string to have touch and break quickly get some cheap synthetic gut, like Forten Sweet. A reel is $50 and will give you about 16 full stringjobs.

Well if you aren't breaking strings, get some thin natural gut. Babolat 17 gauge or 18 gauge should work well. Might want to string it a few lbs tighter to control the power though.

Obviously his mom won't let him restring often because it's expensive. So why the hell would she want to dish out $30 on a single set of string. There are many cheaper alternatives

Jonny S&V
12-15-2009, 07:59 PM
As a fellow junior S&Ver, I felt the need to reply. Like yourself, I hit twist/kick 1st and 2nd serves, and I found the only way that I'm NOT breaking strings is by using full poly. I just recently tried out full Gosen Polylon 17g, a first generation poly definitely not know for its feel, at 75% of my typical tension (45 lbs as opposed to 60 lbs).

I felt that I was kicking and twisting my serves in ways they hadn't before, my volleys were ALWAYS deep, and whenever I wanted to hit a drop volley, the option was ALWAYS there. If you haven't ever tried it, try dropping the tension on your poly to about 45-50 lbs, I don't think you'll regret it.

Valjean
12-16-2009, 02:53 AM
....So basically i am asking what string you would recommend that is a good "feel" string that is not too expensive and i can get it restrung every 3-4 weeks because it breaks. Would you say just a simple SynGut or Nylon? Or should i look into something like E-Matrix?
With your game I would go with Alpha Gut 2000 as long as I could. Here it is, here on TW too: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Alpha_Gut_2000_16_String/descpageACALPHA-AG200016.html

Kenny022593
12-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. When i order my racquet for xmas ill have my mom add some alpha gut in there. I will also try the Gosen or the other set of Cyber Flash i have at a lower tension.

T1000
12-16-2009, 04:25 PM
I used Kirschbaum competition 17g full and a combo of kirschbaum multifibre and competition. I liked the hybrid better, more feel and power. I used it in an RDIS 100 mid and I'm a serve and volleyer. I have a reel from a sponsorship so if you want to try a set of each just email me, i'm switching strings now to alu rough. (emails in my profile

Kenny022593
12-16-2009, 05:03 PM
I used Kirschbaum competition 17g full and a combo of kirschbaum multifibre and competition. I liked the hybrid better, more feel and power. I used it in an RDIS 100 mid and I'm a serve and volleyer. I have a reel from a sponsorship so if you want to try a set of each just email me, i'm switching strings now to alu rough. (emails in my profile

If i remember correctly you don't like dealing with minors and i am only 16 :(

hoodjem
12-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Thinner strings is one way to get more feel. Try Cyberflash 1.20 mains @55 with Wilson Sensation 1.25 crosses @58.

T1000
12-16-2009, 05:13 PM
If i remember correctly you don't like dealing with minors and i am only 16 :(

I don't care about age, I'm 17. I'll deal with anyone (except scammers of course). If you want to try a set just shoot me an email, I'm sure we can work something out.

drummerdan
12-16-2009, 07:12 PM
I've played serve/volley for years and if you can afford it, a full bed natural gut is the way to go. It has been very good to me. Everything you want - power, spin, control and most inportantly for a s/v - feel. Even a hybrid is a great way to go. Mix it with Genesis spin-x or black magic for a great combo.