PDA

View Full Version : Callus Problems

Pink_Shirt
12-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Hey there guys and girls, I was wondering if any of you have Callus problems too. I wear the Court Ballistics 1.3 and they are so heavy they give me serious callus issues on my feet. Today when I was walking around in my house, I seemed to completely tear it off (its located right under my big toe on my right foot). This can cause serious problems to playing tennis. Any tips? I wear the longer Nike Drifit songs and they seem to be a bit better than ankle sucks do to their thickness. Also, would sports tape wrapped around it do any good? Same thing for Callus's on fingers, would you suggest sports tape rolled around them? Thank you guys very much! :)

Cindysphinx
12-16-2009, 10:12 AM
You mean blisters?

myservenow
12-16-2009, 10:49 AM
I almost posted something similar yesterday.

I have been having fits with some calluses on both of my feet. I developed one on my left pinky toe this summer. I think I can trace it to my shoes -- I wear Ballistic 1.2 s. This particular callus is very irritating at times but something I have accepted. Although I haven't played since October, it has not healed yet. I think it has developed into a corn.

About two months ago, I developed a callus on the bottom of my right big toe. It wasn't really a blister, but more like a wart. I used Compound W and it did not help. Again, I haven't played tennis in about two months so this one is particularly strange. And the one on my right toe is very painful. I am trying to get in to see a podiatrist to determine exactly what it is. I don't really see how this one could be the result of my shoes. Not really sure though.

On simple internet research, I believe both are corns. I have tried the Dr. Scholl's treatments also and have had no success.

If anyone has any advice on corns or very painful calluses, I would also appreciate hearing it.

myservenow
12-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Just to clarify, these are not blisters. I've had plenty of blisters.

These are actually hardened areas (much like a callus) with a very sensitive area underneath it. It is almost like a bb underneath an area of rough, hardened skin. To me, that is the definition of a corn. As I understand it, it can be caused by pressure points on the feet or toes.

Pink_Shirt
12-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Sometime in the afternoon was when my Callus completely tore off. So I put a bandaid and Polysporin on it overnight, and all day today. So far it hasn't achieved much but it did smooth the skin some. Also, you can get Callus's when your working out with heavy weight, I get them a lot right underneath my pink finger.

dextor
12-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Tape it up, problem solved.

TenniseaWilliams
12-16-2009, 09:22 PM
I have no medical training, so I hesitate to post this. I do have a lot of trouble with callous on my hands and feet.

If I don't remove the dead skin that forms on the balls of my feet and the outside of my big toe, wear an extra pair of socks, and use green superfeet, I will eventually develop a blister underneath the callous. It is very painful.

They sell little sticky pads that will cushion the area, but they won't stay on for tennis, or really anything strenuous. I use moleskin in large pads for my feet, and that nu-skin stuff for my hands when I have problems.

They sell chemical callous removers, most have acids, are easy to misuse, and don't seem all that favored by the internet medical community. They work OK, but I avoid them.

I use soaking and a pumice stone, and other similar devices to try and stay on top of it. Change your shoes when you tear them up, inside or outside. Don't wear brands of shoes that tear up your feet.

You don't want to pop blisters or do anything that could lead to cracks due to the risk of infection. Don't take off too much dead skin at once.

In a pinch, I have super-glued skin to keep it from flopping around. There is a medical grade version that is less irritating that is used as a surgical supply. I make sure I personally use crazy glue, for obvious reasons.

Talker
12-17-2009, 05:54 AM
I had a problem like this. Went to the store and bought a callous remover.
It resembled a razor blade in a handle, like for shaving.
It takes off a good amount of dead skin easily and is made to be used safely.
I tried the acid treatments but they dissolve too little to make a difference.
It was on the bottom of my foot at the balls of my feet.
This was no ordinary callous, if I pushed on it there was a lot of pain.
Good luck.

charliefedererer
12-17-2009, 01:43 PM
I have no medical training, so I hesitate to post this. I do have a lot of trouble with callous on my hands and feet.

If I don't remove the dead skin that forms on the balls of my feet and the outside of my big toe, wear an extra pair of socks, and use green superfeet, I will eventually develop a blister underneath the callous. It is very painful.

They sell little sticky pads that will cushion the area, but they won't stay on for tennis, or really anything strenuous. I use moleskin in large pads for my feet, and that nu-skin stuff for my hands when I have problems.

They sell chemical callous removers, most have acids, are easy to misuse, and don't seem all that favored by the internet medical community. They work OK, but I avoid them.

I use soaking and a pumice stone, and other similar devices to try and stay on top of it. Change your shoes when you tear them up, inside or outside. Don't wear brands of shoes that tear up your feet.

You don't want to pop blisters or do anything that could lead to cracks due to the risk of infection. Don't take off too much dead skin at once.

In a pinch, I have super-glued skin to keep it from flopping around. There is a medical grade version that is less irritating that is used as a surgical supply. I make sure I personally use crazy glue, for obvious reasons.

Pretty good summary of available treatments/accomedations. I like the idea of the pumice stone to sand away the blister better than the idea of shaving it, as it seems less likely to cause an inadvertant cut of the surrounding normal skin. The "ounce of prevention" tack with good socks, insoles and shoes is great advice. I am not fond of superglue, as it is toxic to the tender layer of skin at the bottom of a torn blister, the very layer from which healing will have to occur.

It may be surprising to know that all of the skin tissue/cells on the very outside of our body are dead. About ten layers down are the living cells. As they divide, they push up the divided cell that dies, and shrinks into what looks like a flat pancake, and when stacked up forms the skin barrier that shelters our inner body from the outside world.
In response to irritating pressure, the underlying skin cell at the bottom of the stack divides faster, with a callus as the result.
Usually calluses occur in areas that are actually protective from further trauma on our hands and feet, but sometimes they do get too thick and painful.

Xenakis
12-17-2009, 01:58 PM
When I used to play the drums a lot and used to get a blister on my hand while on tour (so I had to play the next day and the day after that etc), I would bite the blister, drain the fluid out of it and then leave it to dry (i.e. don't pick at it while it's tender). Then I would tear the skin off when it was dry/crispy enough (took till the next day normally.)

This was the least painful option. Not sure whether this is medically sound/stupid but it worked for me, It was that or cancel gigs (not possible.)

myservenow
12-18-2009, 12:20 PM
To follow up. I got in to see a podiatrist this morning about these calluses.

The less-irritating one on my pinky toe was a corn. The doc took a tool and shaved it right off. Kind of hurt since he just straight up did it with no numbing or anything. Said that should take care of that one.

The one that had really been hurting on my big toe turned out to actually be a wart as I first suspected. That one hurt like the dickens as he tried to shave it down.

Finally decided to numb my toe and "scoop" out the wart (doc's term). He sprayed a really, really cold substance on my toe, numbed it up good, tied it off with a rubber band (i didn't ask why), and then scooped out the wart. Didn't feel any pain and haven't in the 6 hours since the procedure. It did bled through the bandages and my socks into my Vapors.

Anyway, that is my experience with feet problems.

MNPlayer
12-18-2009, 12:36 PM
I have major calluses on my feet, particularly the inside edge and bottom of my big toe. If you let these go too long, they will eventually tear off and cause blood blisters and stuff like that. Back when I did karate (on bare feet) this was a fairly common problem because the friction against the floor is greater than with shoes. Some people would use super glue which is a great temporary solution. You can cut the blister to drain the blood pocket, then glue it back together with superglue. Gymnasts also use a special spray on product on their hands that I bet would work pretty well too.

These days, I use a dremel with a small sanding drum to grind down my calluses periodically. A podiatrist recommended this and it works great! The pumice stone is way too slow and using a razor gives me the willies. If you do this, be extremely careful though! I haven't injured myself yet but it would be pretty easy.