PDA

View Full Version : Oliver

galain
12-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Growing up in Oz it seemed as though Oliver was one of the major brands in the racquet world. I remember thinking (even at the time when wood was becoming a little "daggy" compared to the newer metals and even composites) that they had some really nice looking frames.

In hindsight, I really have no idea how big a player Oliver was, nor when they vanished. Were they only an Australasian presence or a larger company than that? Anyone know?

MAXXply
12-16-2009, 02:55 AM
...as a homegrown (Adelaide) manufacturer they just didn't have the sexiness about them to compete with the big brands. I mean, what would you rather - an Oliver Bluebird or a Borg Pro/Ashe Competition ?
They seemingly became defunct in the very late 80s...I recall some classy graphite composite sticks a la Prestige Pro - the Black Opal IIRC, with the ad campaign depicting the racket as if hewn from solid rock.
Mal Anderson and Frank Sedgman - the only two Oliver names I can think of...

Virginia
12-16-2009, 10:01 AM
I have an Oliver Bluebird - it's a very attractive looking racquet. However "Bluebird" certainly isn't the most inspiring of model names, is it?

AndrewD
12-16-2009, 06:59 PM
...as a homegrown (Adelaide) manufacturer they just didn't have the sexiness about them to compete with the big brands. I mean, what would you rather - an Oliver Bluebird or a Borg Pro/Ashe Competition ?

But that's in the 1970's. Go back a bit further and you'll find Oliver was a huge player in the market. That was due to several reasons but the main one was the presence of Frank Sedgman. Simply put, he was a figure of such magnitude and a superstar of such proportion that he is set apart from every other Australian player before or since. Based purely on the fact that Frank Sedgman used Oliver, it was a huge brand. Hell, it didn't even matter that their best frame was called the 'Bluebird', the fact that Sedge used it meant it was as good as you could get.

Virginia
12-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Good to see you here again, Andrew - it's been a while since you posted. :)

galain
12-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Thank you for the replies folks!