PDA

View Full Version : Natural gut brands and qualities

xsmasher
12-16-2009, 05:52 AM
hi everybody, i want to know if there is any differences between different brands of natural gut....and what about prince and head natural gut. thanks,waiting for your replies.

schap02
12-16-2009, 06:15 AM
hi everybody, i want to know if there is any differences between different brands of natural gut....and what about prince and head natural gut. thanks,waiting for your replies.

Prince is absolutely wonderful

Other than that I would say stick with the Babolat Naturals

Everything else just doesn't seem as good.

alidisperanza
12-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I found the Prince brands to be a bit "dry" when stringing. Could have been the older style packaging though.

Gut typically runs in three classes. Elite, Quality, and Econo

Elite: What the top players use, most of it's VS based.
VS--"Best" of the Best, also most expensive. It's what the pros use. Liveliest, crispest... add -est to any adjective you can think of and VS is your brand
Wilson-- is re-branded VS
Head-- *Correction* Made by Pacific-- Strings like VS, Haven't had the pleasure of playing it though

Quality: Slightly cheaper alternative to the "Elite." Still will retain the great playing characteristics of gut but may have a slightly different consistency in quality/coating.
Tonic -- close to VS less but expensive (Many say that it's VS that hasn't made the quality cut)
KLIP-- Great brand, a little cheaper than the VS. Some say it has more of an "old school" feeling. Also one of the few guts still available as un-coated.
Pacific-- Another old-school company. Similar to Klip in many respects. Bit more "crisp"
BB Hero-- It's orange! Haven't had a chance to play it yet, sorry

Econo Gut: You get what you pay for. A cheap alternative to paying the 40.00 a pack while still retaining many of the characteristics of NG

Titan- Aussie based company, Coating is a bit weak here and the string may be prone to unravelling while stringing. Take care when running it through your machine! Responsive though, not a bad hit!
Global Gut-- Yet another Econo Gut that's great for the average player not looking for an 80.00 stringing job. Typically bought in bulk quantity.
Gaucho Gut-- Relatively new company offering multiple gauges, colors etc... Coating is a bit sparse on the strings but a great play none the less. Some say it's manufactured in the same factory as Global.

Funbun
12-16-2009, 12:33 PM
How's Titan gut's durability and tension stability?

ClubHoUno
12-16-2009, 02:50 PM
I found the Prince brands to be a bit "dry" when stringing. Could have been the older style packaging though.

VS--"Best" of the Best, also most expensive. It's what the pros use. Liveliest, crispest... add -est to any adjective you can think of and VS is your brand
Head-- I believe that it's Re-branded VS again. There's a post floating around somewhere

Quality: Slightly cheaper alternative to the "Elite." Still will retain the great playing characteristics of gut but may have a slightly different consistency in quality/coating.
Tonic -- close to VS less but expensive (Many say that it's VS that hasn't made the quality cut)
KLIP-- Great brand, a little cheaper than the VS. Some say it has more of an "old school" feeling. Also one of the few guts still available as un-coated.
Pacific-- Another old-school company. Similar to Klip in many respects. Bit more "crisp"

Econo Gut: You get what you pay for. A cheap alternative to paying the 40.00 a pack while still retaining many of the characteristics of NG

Titan- Aussie based company, Coating is a bit weak here and the string may be prone to unravelling while stringing. Take care when running it through your machine! Responsive though, not a bad hit!
Global Gut-- Yet another Econo Gut that's great for the average player not looking for an 80.00 stringing job. Typically bought in bulk quantity.
Gaucho Gut-- Relatively new company offering multiple gauges, colors etc... Coating is a bit sparse on the strings but a great play none the less. Some say it's manufactured in the same factory as Global.

Head Natty gut is made by Pacific, not Babolat.

Love50
12-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Prince Natural Gut is probably some variant of VS too - has "Made in France" printed on it.

bee
12-16-2009, 03:03 PM
I prefer Klip Legend 17 over Babolat VS. Seems more crisp and livley.

alidisperanza
12-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the correction. I had a feeling It wasn't Bab...

alidisperanza
12-16-2009, 08:02 PM
How's Titan gut's durability and tension stability?

To be honest, I didn't really like it as a full job. The strings tended to dry out very quickly and "creak." My main use of my stock was as a cross string. In my experience durability is below average for gut. I noticed that as soon as the coating is gone from some hitting it starts to fray like crazy and bye bye strings. I've wasted a perfectly good set of MSV in 45mins popping the crosses =/.
Tension maintenance is pretty good though as is expected of Natural gut. It has an initial adjustment/drop period (nothing too drastic, I think I had it measured as a total of 3lbs?) and then seems to hold out ok. Do NOT play with this stuff anywhere near moisture. Any semblance of gut characteristics go out the window =/

Hope it helps!
~A

Valjean
12-16-2009, 08:02 PM

Head-- *Correction* Made by Pacific-- Strings like VS, Haven't had the pleasure of playing it though

I'd say you have the play of Pacific's (Classic?) and Klip's (Legend?) reversed--with the Classic being the more resilient, though, as well.

alidisperanza
12-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Unfortunately,I didn't get an extensive hit with either as they were on friends' frames and at different tensions. What I meant to imply was that they had more of an older-school feeling as compared to VS.

My main experience with many of these guts comes from the stringing department/ feedback I get from my customers.

Personally, I've tried VS, Tonic, Gaucho, Global, and Titan extensively. For most of the others it's been a hit or two here and there

alidisperanza
12-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the imput though, Valjean.

duusoo
12-17-2009, 04:11 AM
VS, unless its Wilson or Prince which are made by Babolat, they stand alone. Next is Pacific Classic. I used to be a huge fan of Klip, but lately the quality hasn't been all that great, rough in spots, thicker in others, I think they have issues. I'm unaware of a BB Gut.

xsmasher
12-17-2009, 07:39 AM
in which level does prince natural gut comes elite,quality or economy...and what is the different between coated and uncoated natural gut.

ClubHoUno
12-17-2009, 08:01 AM
in which level does prince natural gut comes elite,quality or economy...and what is the different between coated and uncoated natural gut.

The coating on VS makes the gut more durable and it protects it against water, so in facts you can play for hours in mild rain, and the VS GUT will not break because of the coating.

I'm basing this on my personal experience and not internet based knowledge !!!

But you should try to AVOID using Natty gut in wet weather, but the guys who think VS GUT will break just from touching water don't know what they are talking about in my view :)

wrxtotoro
12-17-2009, 08:38 AM

I have tried ONE pack of 17G Prince natural gut a year ago in a hybrid setup. Both jobs break in the bag after 2 hours of mild hitting. I don't know if it's just a weak batch or just weaker string in general. I won't rate them at elite for sure.

My 20+ packs of VS, Klip and Pacific (Full bed or hybrid) never broke like this. All of them enjoyed a 15-20 h of hitting life (I usually start to put in string saver after 2-3 hours of playing).

I have a few packs of Gaucho broke while stringing though. They wasted ~6 hours of my life and it's probably a bad batch. Last set works fine but I cut it out eventually after 2 hours of hitting as I don't like the feeling.

Rabbit
12-17-2009, 08:50 AM
FWIW, Titan is Klip's econo-brand

DrpShot!
12-17-2009, 08:54 AM
But you should try to AVOID using Natty gut in wet weather, but the guys who think VS GUT will break just from touching water don't know what they are talking about in my view :)

I used natty for about 10 years, VS, BDE, Klip, Bow Brand, etc. Its not that natty breaks when it touches water, but when its extremely humid or wet natty seems to soak up that moisture, the strings seem to expand a bit and feel mushy. You can play in wet weather for hours, but you wouldn't want to use it the next day, even if its coated.

alidisperanza
12-17-2009, 09:09 AM
The coating on VS makes the gut more durable and it protects it against water, so in facts you can play for hours in mild rain, and the VS GUT will not break because of the coating.

I'm basing this on my personal experience and not internet based knowledge !!!

If this was directed @ me... I was referring to Titan NG not VS. VS is about the only Gut I've found that holds up in moisture and doesn't go mushy

xsmasher
12-17-2009, 11:40 AM
thanks everyone

tlimster
12-17-2009, 03:07 PM
I've tried Klip, Wilson, Tonic and Pacific (Pacific was a long time ago). Klip was a distant third. My other rackets were strung with TF Multifeel and Bab Addiction, and I preferred both over the Klip. The Tonic (15L) started out really good but then started getting trampoliney for some reason (it was a professional machine job). The Pacific never had these problems and beats out the other two. I had Wilson in a racket a bought off the boards, and that felt really sweet, noticeably sweet. I'd imagine VS would feel similar. When I can convince myself that I know exactly what tension and what racket I want to stick with, then I will try VS 16, but I don't want to waste $40! It's just really hard to pull the trigger on one set of string at that price for me.

Richie Rich
12-17-2009, 03:14 PM
i played with klip for a while last year. all sets felt dryer than normal and were a little stiff. felt fine after loosening up after a few hits. however, i still have not hit with any gut that has better feel than VS

Orion
12-17-2009, 03:58 PM
As stated Gaucho should not be overlooked. At $14 a set, the power is good, spin is good and durability is great for gut. The ends will need to be clipped. I have only strung in mains but I imagine it being slightly more difficult to put in the crosses. As far as quality, Gaucho is an economy gut, the consistency of the string seems acceptable except for the last 8 inches on either end.... but I've had bad sets of Tonic and VS before.

duusoo
12-18-2009, 05:22 AM
I have never had a bad set of VS, ever! Their Quality Control is off the charts. For that matter Pacific is a very close second. Klip is the one that has dropped the ball in the past few years. You get what you pay for, but VS is simply the best. And natural gut is a better string than any other, in any form.

dextor
12-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Awesome thread, really learned a lot about.