PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Spin-X Review

schap02
12-16-2009, 05:12 AM
Strung my Pure Storm Ltd (18 x 20) up with Genesis Spin_X 17 red Mains @ 55 lbs with Pro Supex Spiral Flex 16 Crosses @ 56 lbs

Initial thoughts - looks cool - feels solid - Genesis is one of the easiest polys to string, IMO, it's a little softer than Lux ALU Rough but not as soft as say Pro Line II or MSV - Spiral flex is very similar to duraflex except it feels a lot smoother when stringing, like it has a silicone coating on it or something - doesn't feel as "dry" as duraflex when stringing...

Initial hit - 2 hours of drilling - mostly groundstrokes and volleys -

Forehand/backhand - Spin generation was amazing, solid ball pocketing, overall great spin, excellent for topspin and easy on slices, probably not the best option for a flat hitter - easy on the touch shots

Volleys - Touch shots and angling were very attainable with this string, a little adjusting on the deeper volleys but it felt solid

Second hit - 2 hours - Doubles Matchplay

Serves - Solid amount of power but I would say it's a dialed down power, a little less than Lux Alu Rough and PHT but still enough power to provide beastly serves with the right swing speed

No signs of fraying and minimal notching after 4 hours of play. Tension maintenance definitely was a suprise. Usually 4 hours is when Lux and Bab Polys start to feel dead to me but this string just seems to feel like I could take it in to battle - will provde more durability updates as I continue playing with this setup

Thoughts on Spiral Flex - Definitely more durable than any syn gut I have tested yet and great tension maintenance. As I stated earlier - very similar to Duraflex but I would say this string is slightly more durable and has a little better spin potential - Also the fact that notching is very minimal I would have to say this is a blessing to have in Hybrid setups where mains sawing through crosses is an issue - also more to follow once I get some more play from the frame.

Overall -
Price - extremely cheap for a hybrid setup in my opinion
Spin - Wonderful
Durability - so far so good
Tension Maintenance - Superb
Power - probably 6 or 7 out of 10 for a poly setup - definitely better for the more control oriented player

I have reels of both so if anyone is looking to try this setup - e-mail me at tutors9@verizon.net

More info to come after a few more sessions...

As always - these are MY thoughts and Impressions - I provide these thoughts for others who are thinking about these strings or similar options.

sruckauf
12-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Nice review. I'm a dedicated CyberFlash 1.25 user, but am intrigued by SpinX. I'll be most interested to hear how long you believe the string has 'usable, playable life' before going dead, and tension maintenance in the 6 - 10 hour range. I get about 6 - 8 hours with CyberFlash before it snaps or goes dead, which I find acceptable for the price.

gflyer
12-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Nice review. I'm a dedicated CyberFlash 1.25 user, but am intrigued by SpinX. I'll be most interested to hear how long you believe the string has 'usable, playable life' before going dead, and tension maintenance in the 6 - 10 hour range. I get about 6 - 8 hours with CyberFlash before it snaps or goes dead, which I find acceptable for the price.
I am a CF 1.25 fan as well. I tried SpinX and the playability is very similar.
CF is a little stiffer and lower powered.
I cannot play poly right now because of TE :( but if I had to choose maybe I would go with SpinX.

steve728
12-16-2009, 08:31 AM
I cannot play poly right now because of TE :( but if I had to choose maybe I would go with SpinX.

gflyer --- did you use the same tension as your CF? or would you recommend a slight bump up because it's a little softer and higher powered?

steve728
12-16-2009, 08:34 AM
OP -- what do you think a full bed of SpinX would play like? I was going to try it full bed but I also have Spiral Flex too.

sruckauf
12-16-2009, 08:43 AM

Good stuff - thanks much.

Bummer about the TE.. but sounds like you're smart enough to lay off the poly for a bit. :) When I had TE a couple years ago, I went with a full bed of stiffer multis for a while (Maxim Touch and/or NXT Max), and it cleared up in about 6 weeks or so.

gflyer
12-16-2009, 08:45 AM
gflyer --- did you use the same tension as your CF? or would you recommend a slight bump up because it's a little softer and higher powered?

I used the very same tension (52x50).
As I said it plays very similar to CF on my frame.
You will get more control going higher but then you will give up that nice soft feel.

gflyer
12-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Good stuff - thanks much.

Bummer about the TE.. but sounds like you're smart enough to lay off the poly for a bit. :) When I had TE a couple years ago, I went with a full bed of stiffer multis for a while (Maxim Touch and/or NXT Max), and it cleared up in about 6 weeks or so.
Thank you for sharing that info.
Right now my TE is getting better.
I have my frames with nat gut mains and SpinX crosses.
If this setup doesn't bother me I'll stay with it for a while otherwise I'll go full gut. I didn't want to switch to full gut right away because control would have been an issue. I am getting used to gut in the mains. Actually with this hybrid my 1hbh is a monster. My fh requires more adjustment. But i am getting there, considering that I am playing only once a week (both for the weather and for the TE).

gflyer
12-16-2009, 09:06 AM

Steve, I kept thinking about your question...let me add few words.
If you hit mainly flat I would bump up 2lb on the tension.
If you hit moderate to heavy topspin I would keep the same tension.
I hit with moderate topspin but I flatten out once in a while when I go for big winners. That's where I notice that the softer SpinX can give some lack of control.

lawlitssoo1n
12-16-2009, 04:26 PM
how's the tension maintenance?

gflyer
12-17-2009, 06:03 AM
Spinx has better tension maintenance.
With cf after 3 or 4 sessions I had a dramatic drop in tension and I had to cut them. Let me add that cf 1.20 is muh worse than 1.25 in terms of tension loss IMO.
With spinx after 3 or 4 sessions the playability is still good. I think the tension loss is more gradual so I kinda get use to it while playing.
I should get an ert300 soon so I can check if I am right or it's just in my mind :))

rippatennis777
12-25-2009, 09:56 AM
I just I got a few sample to try Genesis strings as seems like Iím eligible for sponsorship, just curious how these strings perform. It seems like got great respond from a lot players on different forums.

nickarnold2000
01-09-2010, 04:16 AM
I just I got a few sample to try Genesis strings as seems like Iím eligible for sponsorship, just curious how these strings perform. It seems like got great respond from a lot players on different forums.
Hey, so how goes the Spin X testing?

DrewRafter8
01-09-2010, 08:22 AM
I've played a full bed of red 16. It was good stuff. The 17 silver is a different animal. From the USRSA the red and the silver play very different. I did notice that the 17 silver was much stiffer then the 16 red.

rippatennis777
01-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Over winter break, I did not try because I played the nationals. I did see a few players playing with the black magic and spin x. I installed the set I got 2 days ago and hit with it once. Nice spin when I go under the ball. My coach stated I am hitting with more depth which sounds great. I will report later on durability and tension maintenance. Oh and the power is nice from Spin X.