PDA

View Full Version : Sore hip from playing tennis, is it normal?

Sparkn
12-16-2009, 05:14 AM
I just played tennis yesterday with my friend and my hips are feeling really sore today, I mostly used forehands. Either my technique is really messed up or I'm doing it right and this is a good sign, I have no idea. Anyone else have any experience with sore hips from tennis?

GuyClinch
12-16-2009, 05:37 AM
I don't know if its normal - but its never happened to me.

bbbbbb
12-16-2009, 06:40 AM
not really normal.It means your technniques wrong somewhere and your over using core roation to compensate probably for power.happened to me pretty often when i used to over use my core to get power on the serve cause i didnt want to use knee bend.

mike53
12-16-2009, 07:38 AM
I just played tennis yesterday with my friend and my hips are feeling really sore today, I mostly used forehands. Either my technique is really messed up or I'm doing it right and this is a good sign, I have no idea. Anyone else have any experience with sore hips from tennis?

My left hip (I'm right handed) started hurting shortly after hitting practice two days ago. Also with a concentration on the forehand. I'm thinking that it might come from taking shot with my feet off the ground and landing on the hardcourt. It didn't hurt enough to keep me from running 4 miles yesterday and it's not at the top of my list of aches and pains.

But I do get a lot of rotation. Last week I don't rotate enough, day before yesterday I rotate too much. Go figure. How much is enough? How much is too much?

LeeD
12-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Of course, it'd depend on your history. If you haven't played often, then go out and grind, getting sore is normal.
However, if you play all the time, never had hip or torso problems, and have not changed your game, it could be an injury or degenerative problem.
You didn't state your age and tennis experience.
Did you change the way you hit the ball?
Did you try new shoes that don't pivot?
Racket? String? Tension? Who exactly did you play against and for how long?
Lots of factors make up this world. This world is not black or white, rather it's shades of gray.

Frank Silbermann
12-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Is it muscular pain (butt pain) or bone pain? If it's bone pain, rest and see if it goes away -- and stays away. If it comes back, see a doctor. If it looks OK to him, then see a teaching pro. If the doctor sees arthritis, then you maybe shouldn't play tennis anymore, as you could be doing permanent damage that could lead to the need for a hip replacement.

Since artificial hips last only so long, and can be replaced only so many times (because bone is destroyed in the installation process), this is not something you want to get into unless you're already pretty old.

Storm_Kyori
12-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Funny you should post this. I have the same pain right now on my right hip. I know it's not from my technique or strokes, since it has never hurt before. What I did was kick a volleyball yesterday. I kicked it totally wrong since my knee hurt immediately afterwards. I think I must have over rotated my hip or something. Just what happened to me.

dman72
12-16-2009, 12:50 PM
I've always had hip issues, even when I was in my 20's playing basketball for hours, the next day the only thing that was sore were my hip joints. It's got progressively worse a few years ago when I got up to the 35 YO mark and started playing tennis 3 times per week on hard courts, to the point where I thought maybe I should stop.

Over the last year and half or so, I got into a routine of flexibility and strength exercises for the hip, playing 2 times a week instead of 3, rubbing icy hot on the area before playing, using Ibuprofen, and I started using one of those hard foam roller things to massage the area. All have contributed to much less pain. Start focusing on the problem now if you don't want it to persist. I think stretching is a major factor..something about getting blood flow to the area when you stretch afterwards as opposed to getting really tight. Good luck.

Blake0
12-16-2009, 06:29 PM
I've heard open stance forehands put a lot of stress on the hips. Really doubt its a good sign. Are you playing more frequently, played harder/longer or something that's changed quite a bit?

Sparkn
12-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the reply's. Anyways, my hip pain has gone away. I played again today and found that I looked like I was throwing my body at the ball, and in a very awkward way as well... probably in an attempt to have more speed. I've only been playing for about 3 months.