PDA

View Full Version : AP: Woods Athlete of Decade

OddJack
12-16-2009, 06:12 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34446037/ns/sports-golf/

"Woods received 56 of the 142 votes cast by AP member editors since last month. More than half of the ballots were returned after the Nov. 27 car accident outside his Florida home that set off sensational tales of infidelity.

Lance Armstrong, a cancer survivor who won the Tour de France six times this decade, finished second with 33 votes. He was followed by Roger Federer, who won more Grand Slam singles titles than any other man, with 25 votes."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M4haBY4NPA

OddJack
12-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Who thinks his scandal should have played a role? I do for sure. When you single out anyone for achievements of a decade, he or she may be considered a role model. I wouldnt consider anyone a role model without moral values.
Wrong choice.

dropshot winner
12-16-2009, 06:32 AM
I don't think that the scandal should've played a role, but chosing a golfer as best athlete of the decade? Seriously??

They'll probably choose a chess player as the best athlete of the decade in 2019.

Bud
12-16-2009, 06:32 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

Athlete? Must be some sort of joke.

He's definitely the top man**** of the decade.

OddJack
12-16-2009, 06:39 AM
The link moved :

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34446037/ns/sports-golf/

They need to give their definition for athlitism

dropshot winner
12-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Armstrong was voted second, this makes the whole thing look ridiculous.

The winner of "athlete of the decade" is not playing a sport, and the runner-up used EPO during some of his greatest victories.

They should give the Nobel Peace Prize to Bin Laden while they're at it.

CMM
12-16-2009, 06:46 AM
Armstrong was voted second, this makes the whole thing look ridiculous.

The winner of athlete of the decade is not playing a sport, and the runner-up used EPO during some of his greatest victories.

Yes, Federer is the moral winner.

sureshs
12-16-2009, 06:48 AM
#1: Tiger, sex scandal
#2: Armstrong, doping scandal
#3: Phelps, marijuana scandal
#4: Federer.

Sad state of sports if this is how it is. Makes you wonder why people still go around saying stuff like "sports builds character."

Federer should have been #1 just for being the cleanest guy. The status of golf as a sport versus competitive recreation is always a question mark. And too many questions surrounding Armstrong.

It should have been a contest between Phelps and Federer.

TheMusicLover
12-16-2009, 06:49 AM
What a joke.

dropshot winner
12-16-2009, 06:50 AM

Sad state of sports if this is how it is. Makes you wonder why people still go around saying stuff like "sports builds character."

Federer should have been #1 just for being the cleanest guy. The status of golf as a sport versus competitive recreation is always a question mark. And too many questions surrounding Armstrong.

I agree, but I wouldn't call Phelps' case a "marijuana scandal".

He just smoked some pot at a time when he was not competing, he didn't cheat anyone.

r2473
12-16-2009, 06:51 AM

If Woods hadn't been caught, would he still be moral? (He was the poster boy for moral prior to November 27).

CMM
12-16-2009, 06:51 AM

Was there any proof that he was doping?

dropshot winner
12-16-2009, 06:53 AM

On August 23, 2005, L'Équipe, a major French daily sports newspaper, reported on its front page under the headline "le mensonge Armstrong" ("The Armstrong Lie") that 6 urine samples taken from the cyclist during the prologue and five stages of the 1999 Tour de France, frozen and stored since at "Laboratoire national de dépistage du dopage de Châtenay-Malabry" (LNDD), had tested positive for Erythropoietin in recent retesting conducted as part of a research project into EPO testing methods.[68][69] For years, it had been impossible to detect the drug, called erythropoietin, which builds endurance by boosting the production of oxygen-carrying red blood cells. The world governing body of cycling, Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI), did not begin using a urine test for EPO until 2001, two years after the samples were taken. This claim was based on an investigation in which they claimed to be able to match samples from the 1999 Tour that were used to hone the EPO test to Armstrong.[70] To establish a link between Armstrong and the samples, the LNDD matched the tracking numbers on the samples with those on Armstrong's record with the UCI during the 1999 Tour.

It's a disgrace that most americans see some kind of hero in this lying cheater.

sureshs
12-16-2009, 06:53 AM
If Woods hadn't been caught, would he still be moral? (He was the poster boy for moral prior to November 27).

Yes. He is innocent until we know otherwise.

asafi2
12-16-2009, 06:54 AM

On the contrary good sir...sports don't build character...they reveal it.

sureshs

I admit I was repeating rumors. I actually never followed his case with interest.

ksbh
I agree OddJack! Giving this wan*ker the award is the equivalent of giving a legends of music award to the Spice Girls!

Who thinks his scandal should have played a role? I do for sure. When you single out anyone for achievements of a decade, he or she may be considered a role model. I wouldnt consider anyone a role model without moral values.
Wrong choice.

CMM
12-16-2009, 06:55 AM
On August 23, 2005, L'Équipe, a major French daily sports newspaper, reported on its front page under the headline "le mensonge Armstrong" ("The Armstrong Lie") that 6 urine samples taken from the cyclist during the prologue and five stages of the 1999 Tour de France, frozen and stored since at "Laboratoire national de dépistage du dopage de Châtenay-Malabry" (LNDD), had tested positive for Erythropoietin in recent retesting conducted as part of a research project into EPO testing methods.[68][69] For years, it had been impossible to detect the drug, called erythropoietin, which builds endurance by boosting the production of oxygen-carrying red blood cells. The world governing body of cycling, Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI), did not begin using a urine test for EPO until 2001, two years after the samples were taken. This claim was based on an investigation in which they claimed to be able to match samples from the 1999 Tour that were used to hone the EPO test to Armstrong.[70] To establish a link between Armstrong and the samples, the LNDD matched the tracking numbers on the samples with those on Armstrong's record with the UCI during the 1999 Tour.

It's a disgrace that most americans see some kind of hero in this lying cheater.

So why didn't they took his titles?

jrod
12-16-2009, 06:57 AM
This poll was clearly nothing more than a popularity contest.

Anyone care to guess where Tiger would place if the sex scandal broke before the voting took place (that is, assuming the majority of the voters are not women Tiger had serviced)???

r2473
Yes. He is innocent until we know otherwise.

This isn't a court of law. My question was if he was moral prior to November 27 (as the public assumed) and "pubic" enemy #1 thereafter (as the public assumes)?

dropshot winner
So why didn't they took his titles?

Because Armstrong has an armada of lawyers and because (almost) no one in the sport of cycling wants a scandal of epic proportions.

sureshs
12-16-2009, 06:59 AM
I agree, but I wouldn't call Phelps' case a "marijuana scandal".

He just smoked some pot at a time when he was not competing, he didn't cheat anyone.

Right, that is why I also said it should have been between Phelps and Federer. Difficult to call that one. Some people would say tennis is not a real sport (like we make fun of golf). That is why many do not want it in the Olympics. Federer lost to Nadal in 3 Slam finals, while no one came near Phelps. On the other hand, you are not going mano amano in swimming.

You could say Nadal is, in a way, better than Federer, but no one is better than Phelps.

Phelps would be #1 then.

sureshs
12-16-2009, 07:00 AM
On the contrary good sir...sports don't build character...they reveal it.

Don't believe that, either. It is just another cliche like the previous one. Sports did not reveal Tiger's character, a chance car accident did.

CMM
Because Armstrong has an armada of lawyers and because (almost) no one in the sport of cycling wants a scandal of epic proportions.

If you say so...

Spider
Woods deserves it, he is one of the greatest atheletes sports has ever seen. What happens in his personal life, shouldn't affect his professional achievement.

He deserves it more than anyone. Federer deserved to be second though (and not third). Thank god Schumacher didn't get it. It would have been a joke then.

mandy01
12-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Woods?! LOOOOOL...Yeah right.Exactly what is athletic about Tiger Woods?
I dont care about the scandal thats his
personal life.
I know there's a lot of skill involved in what he does but he is by no means the best 'athlete'.Or maybe I just dont consider golf as an athletic sport.

Spider
12-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Woods?! LOOOOOL...Yeah right.Exactly what is athletic about Tiger Woods?
I dont care about the scandal thats his
personal life.
I know there's a lot of skill involved in what he does but he is by no means the best 'athlete'.Or maybe I just dont consider golf as an athletic sport.

Golf requires exceptional skills and to dominate that the way Woods has done is just unimaginable. It is a phenomenal achievement something that will never ever be repeated again.

natalia
12-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Since when the golf is considered like a sport, to start with....
Then - athletes, the golfers?!?!?!??:shock: Yeah, right...whatEver...

And give me a break with the skills and eye-hand coordination needed in golf... I too have skills and also, pretty good eye-hand coordination is needed for my hobby - knitting - someone please nominate me for Best Athlete Of The Century!

mdhubert
12-16-2009, 07:13 AM
They wanted initially to give it to John Daly but changed their mind at the last minute...

http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/johndalyteeingoff2.php

NamRanger
12-16-2009, 07:16 AM

Good thing that was never proven.

Spider
12-16-2009, 07:32 AM
I still can't understand how a cyclist could be number two? You can't actually call a cyclist an athlete, you give him a vehicle to perform and now he is an athelete? I find that amusing. I think Roger deserved to be second on this list

Spider
12-16-2009, 07:39 AM
I would like to add, people like Woods and Federer win because of their own exceptional talent. That is not the case with motor racing and anything similar to it. Therefore, Schumacher and Amrstrong don't deserve to be on that list.

OddJack
12-16-2009, 07:44 AM
AP video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M4haBY4NPA

Chadwixx
12-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Tiger is a doper who doesnt even play a real sport.

iriraz
12-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Probably all the women who got involved with him voted for Tiger.So that`s why he got the most votes

jamesblakefan#1
12-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Golf is not a Sport.

Yes it is!!

No it's not!!

Wow you really must have no life to put that much.

I would like to add, people like Woods and Federer win because of their own exceptional talent. That is not the case with motor racing and anything similar to it. Therefore, Schumacher and Amrstrong don't deserve to be on that list.

I think that both Woods and Armstrong are athletes. Cycling involves a high amt of endurance and strength. You try rididng a bike up a hill for 2+ hrs and tell me that doesn't involve athleticism.

Tiger is a doper who doesnt even play a real sport.

You're a dope who's probably never played a real sport. :rolleyes:

Overall I have no problem W/Tiger winning. The old "Golf is/isn't a sport" debate is going to continue no matter what. Fact is a majority of people look at it as a sport. I think Fed has a better case, but since this is an American poll, it's expected that he wouldn't get as much love and respect.

malakas
12-16-2009, 08:06 AM
this is a big fat joke!!

Woods???athlete of the decade??

hahahhhahaaaa

malakas
12-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Right, that is why I also said it should have been between Phelps and Federer. Difficult to call that one. Some people would say tennis is not a real sport (like we make fun of golf). That is why many do not want it in the Olympics. Federer lost to Nadal in 3 Slam finals, while no one came near Phelps. On the other hand, you are not going mano amano in swimming.

You could say Nadal is, in a way, better than Federer, but no one is better than Phelps.

Phelps would be #1 then.

WHO would say tennis is not a real sport???
The sureshs' of golf forums I suppose?

I still can't understand how a cyclist could be number two? You can't actually call a cyclist an athlete, you give him a vehicle to perform and now he is an athelete? I find that amusing. I think Roger deserved to be second on this list

Cyclism is not a sport???and Golf is>???are you for real?

-I always knew there was something wrong in the brain of Murraytards.:rolleyes:

Chadwixx
12-16-2009, 08:19 AM
#1 Golf
#2 Bike riding
#3 Swimming
#4 Tennis

Was this for senior citizens?

Dedans Penthouse
12-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Woods Athlete of Dickaid

Bud
12-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Golf is not a Sport.

Yes it is!!

No it's not!!

Please don't make another post like this... it's obnoxious and annoying to those on low speed connections :-?

jrod
12-16-2009, 09:40 AM
This came up a while back for those interested in how golf (or tennis) compares to other sports in terms of skill level:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

malakas
12-16-2009, 09:42 AM
#1 Golf
#2 Bike riding
#3 Swimming
#4 Tennis

Was this for senior citizens?

notice all are single sports-games in case of no.1 :rolleyes: . It is more difficult to stand out so much in group sports when the success depends on the whole team.

dropshot winner
12-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Good thing that was never proven.

Everyone's got the right to be naive.

mtommer
12-16-2009, 11:34 AM

L'equipe is hardly, oh shall we say, unbiased where Armstrong is concerned. They hate him and will do anything, make up anything, to bring him down. L'equipe's findings were shoddy at best. And no, I'm not saying Armstrong didn't/doesn't dope. I'm saying L'equipe's allegations lack much of anything.

mtommer
12-16-2009, 11:35 AM

You forgot to add Federer's scandal.

#4: Federer, fashion at Wimbledon scandal.

sureshs
12-16-2009, 12:13 PM
You forgot to add Federer's scandal.

#4: Federer, fashion at Wimbledon scandal.

Fed's scandal is how he loses to Nadal all the time. Now the scandal has expanded to include Del Potro.

LanEvo
12-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Federer is the best, period.

DMan
12-16-2009, 06:14 PM
The US media is so in love with Tiger Woods. Of course he was going to get this award.

The vote was not even that close. Even though Federer won more tournaments and more majors - in a shorter period of time - than Woods.

It's really pathetic how the media is so smitten with golf. Which is not even a sport.

Now that Federer is number 1 again, has broken the all-time record for most # of majors (where for art thou in the pecking order of majors won Mr Woods???) you can bet your bottom dollar he'll be even more popular. Sadly, you can bet that idiots like Charlie Bricker in the US media will be have their knives out for Federer, eager to chastise him for even a hint of a faux pas or shanked forehand.

malakas
12-16-2009, 06:16 PM
L'equipe is hardly, oh shall we say, unbiased where Armstrong is concerned. They hate him and will do anything, make up anything, to bring him down. L'equipe's findings were shoddy at best. And no, I'm not saying Armstrong didn't/doesn't dope. I'm saying L'equipe's allegations lack much of anything.

L'equipe is one of the best sports newspapers.

boojay
12-16-2009, 10:29 PM
whaddya know? voting woods as athlete of the decade is like voting george w. bush for president.....it was a bone-headed move.

golf is not a sport, therefore woods is not an athlete, nuff said.

topspin
12-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Golf is most definitely a sport. Those who say otherwise have never even played it and are in total ignorance.

So read and get enlightened: http://www.hopkins.edu/news/news/detail.asp?from=archives&newsid=97479

dropshot winner
12-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Tiger Wood's competition:

http://jaybot7.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/daly.jpg

topspin
12-17-2009, 12:39 AM
^proof of more ignorance since anyone that follows the sport would know that Daly has not been a direct competitor with Woods for a loooong time. It always makes me laugh when the golf haters mention Daly to try and make their point though.

dropshot winner
12-17-2009, 12:58 AM
^proof of more ignorance since anyone that follows the sport would know that Daly has not been a direct competitor with Woods for a loooong time. It always makes me laugh when the golf haters mention Daly to try and make their point though.

You're right, I don't follow this "sport".

If golf is phsically such a tough sports, why was this year one of the biggest title almost won by a 60-year old?

That's like if Laver had lost a close match to Sampras in the 1999 Wimbledon final, or if Sampras would reach a US Open final in 2030.

topspin
12-17-2009, 10:06 PM
^Read the link. But basically it's not a sport that requires extreme cardio effort. That's why a fit talented player of older age can excel in it. It's really not that complicated. Just like in baseball you can have some overweight chump throw a few good pitches.

The analysis of the meaning of 'sport' in that link is very reasonable, but not perfect. In the end, it becomes a question of our own interpretation of the term 'sport. So there will always be disagreement.

But to simply claim golf is not a sport based on a simplistic view of the game due to a couple of limited successes by older/overweight players is not exactly 'reasonable'.

tenniskid567
12-17-2009, 11:01 PM

Hahaha....I would LOVE to see ANY other "athlete" try to bike a mountain like those guys do. (I know I know, can't really compare separate athletes to separate sports, but you get my point.) How are cyclists not athletes? Those guys have to be suuper fit. Lance has a resting heart rate of around 35. Athlete? I think yeah.

dropshot winner
12-18-2009, 12:22 AM
^Read the link. But basically it's not a sport that requires extreme cardio effort. That's why a fit talented player of older age can excel in it. It's really not that complicated. Just like in baseball you can have some overweight chump throw a few good pitches.

The analysis of the meaning of 'sport' in that link is very reasonable, but not perfect. In the end, it becomes a question of our own interpretation of the term 'sport. So there will always be disagreement.

But to simply claim golf is not a sport based on a simplistic view of the game due to a couple of limited successes by older/overweight players is not exactly 'reasonable'.

By those standards snooker and dart players are athletes too.
Which only leaves the likes of professional UNO-players as non-athletes.

malakas
12-18-2009, 01:06 AM

yeah!why no strip-poker next???they're very good athletes too.

topspin
12-18-2009, 01:10 AM

huh? read the link i posted above