PDA

View Full Version : Softest 17g Non-Moving Poly?

TripleB
12-16-2009, 09:14 AM
In your opinion, what's the softest poly available than doesn't move around a lot?

I always liked Luxilon BB ALU Power mains (love the fact that it doesn't move) with Yonex Tour Super 850 crosses but had them in my Becker Pro and experienced elbow pain for over a week. Had a Signum Pro Poly Plasma and Yonex hybrid in the same racquet (and same tensions) with no pain.

Just wondering what you feel is the softest 17g poly that doesn't move.

Thanks.

TripleB

TennezSport
12-16-2009, 11:19 AM
For a soft poly you might want to try Tecnifibre Promix 17, which is constructed like a multi with poly fibers. This gives you the durability of poly with the softness of a multi. Tension loss is also minimul for a poly string.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

ClubHoUno
12-16-2009, 02:56 PM
If not Promix, like Tennzsport recommends, try my favorite 3 CoPolys:

1. Signum Pro Hyperion 1.18 - very soft and doesn't move. MARVELLOUS COPOLY.

2. Signum Pro Tornado 1.17 - a tiny bit more crisp. FANTASTIC COPOLY.

3. WeissCannon TurboTwist - almost multi like poly, plays GREAT.

Or try a poly-multi like string, that moves very little for such a string and plays softer than all stiff poly, but also has very little power:

Prince RECOIL - you can only get it in 16 gauge, but is has very nice teflon coated feel for such s type of string. Poly fans will think It's soft, while multi fans will call it pretty stiff.

Lex
12-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Head Sonic Pro 17g...strung 8-10% lower than your normal tension.

DrewRafter8
12-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Try some Spin X, it's a great 17. I string it at 50.

lawlitssoo1n
12-16-2009, 05:24 PM
topspin cyber red
topspin cyber blue
topspin cyber black
topspin concept pure
kirshbaum proline 2
pro supex big ace

TripleB
12-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks for everyone's input.

In quickly going through the 17g polys offered here I found a couple that mentioned the word 'soft' in their description:
Babolat Pro Hurricane (have tried)
Gamma Zo Tour
Kirschbaum Touch Turbo (have tried)
Luxilon BB ALU Fluoro (have tried)
MSV Focus Evo
Polyfibre Hightec Premium
Signum Pro Poly Plasma (have tried)
Tecnifibre Black Code
Weiss Cannon Scorpion

Last time out I tried the SPPP and liked the softness, but something about seemed to take away from the spin potential I should have been getting.

I'll make sure I check out all of the strings you mentioned above as well.

TripleB

scotus
12-16-2009, 06:18 PM
If not Promix, like Tennzsport recommends, try my favorite 3 CoPolys:

1. Signum Pro Hyperion 1.18 - very soft and doesn't move. MARVELLOUS COPOLY.

2. Signum Pro Hyperion 1.17 - a tiny bit more crisp. FANTASTIC COPOLY.

3. WeissCannon TurboTwist - almost multi like poly, plays GREAT.

Or try a poly-multi like string, that moves very little for such a string and plays softer than all stiff poly, but also has very little power:

Prince RECOIL - you can only get it in 16 gauge, but is has very nice teflon coated feel for such s type of string. Poly fans will think It's soft, while multi fans will call it pretty stiff.

Hyperion comes in 1.18 AND 1.17?
If that's not splitting hair, I don't know what is.

MarrratSafin
12-16-2009, 06:48 PM

ClubH probably meant Tornado 1.17.

ClubHoUno
12-16-2009, 07:02 PM

ClubH probably meant Tornado 1.17.

Yeahh....Sorry about that - I meant Hyperion 1.18 and Tornado 1.17.

counterpuncher
12-16-2009, 07:45 PM
For more spin than SPPP and slightly softer I would say try either the Hyperion or Weiss Cannon Silverstring.

ace0001a
12-16-2009, 09:03 PM
For a soft poly you might want to try Tecnifibre Promix 17, which is constructed like a multi with poly fibers. This gives you the durability of poly with the softness of a multi. Tension loss is also minimul for a poly string.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

That's interesting. Who else makes a multifilament poly?

Jakedasnake
12-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Luxilon M2 is essentially a multifilament polyester. It's made up of a bunch of poly fibers. Promix actually has some nylon in it along with the polyester fibers. I would think that Promix would be softer, but I've only tried M2. Anyone else wanna chime in?

meowmix
12-16-2009, 09:58 PM
In your opinion, what's the softest poly available than doesn't move around a lot?

I always liked Luxilon BB ALU Power mains (love the fact that it doesn't move) with Yonex Tour Super 850 crosses but had them in my Becker Pro and experienced elbow pain for over a week. Had a Signum Pro Poly Plasma and Yonex hybrid in the same racquet (and same tensions) with no pain.

Thanks.

TripleB

Have you ever tried a Alu mains with Gut crosses? I just tried it in my racquets, which previously felt okay/mediocre, but now feel amazing. No arm problems whatsoever. It actually feels extremely soft and forgiving, and the sweetspot is huge (not something that comes to mind when describing gamma ipex's). My gut crosses are 5 pounds below the mains though.

lawlitssoo1n
12-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Yeahh....Sorry about that - I meant Hyperion 1.18 and Tornado 1.17.

geez, you are in love w/ signum strings, every thread i go on i see "SIGNUM SIGNUM SIGNUM!" hahaha, guess u can say the same w/ me, i'm in love w/ TOPSPIN TOPSPIN TOPSPIN!

ClubHoUno
12-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Luxilon M2 is essentially a multifilament polyester. It's made up of a bunch of poly fibers. Promix actually has some nylon in it along with the polyester fibers. I would think that Promix would be softer, but I've only tried M2. Anyone else wanna chime in?

PRince RECOIL - but as I already mentioned it only comes in 16 gauge.
RECOIL is stiff for a multi lover and mushy for a poly lover - so I think this string is a multi-poly like string,
Low powered with little string movement.

ClubHoUno
12-16-2009, 11:21 PM
geez, you are in love w/ signum strings, every thread i go on i see "SIGNUM SIGNUM SIGNUM!" hahaha, guess u can say the same w/ me, i'm in love w/ TOPSPIN TOPSPIN TOPSPIN!

I'm in love with Babolat VS, BABOLAT XCEL POWER & Signum Pro Hyperion and Tornado - so Yeah, when people ask for advice I give it to them :)

But very few ask about VS NATTY GUT, and too many ask about a good poly, so I just try to help them, that's all :p

MarrratSafin
12-17-2009, 01:38 AM

Lol I like both Topspin and Signum, and I love MSV and Weisscannon as well! So in short German co-polys rock!:D

TripleB
12-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Thanks for all the input.

After reading your responses and doing many searches on the boards, I think the top strings on my "probably should try" polys are:
- Signum Pro Tornado
- Weiss Cannon Silverstring

Again, thanks for all the feedback and would appreciate anymore feedback you can give me on these strings!!!

TripleB

Blade0324
12-17-2009, 06:38 AM
TripleB, I, like you look for a string that does not move around. In fact I will even cut the string job out right away if it does move. With that said I would highly recommend Black code to you for something soft and non moving in a poly. Also I have found that in my hybrids I can use Spiral Flex as crosses about 3 lb. higher than the mains and I have had almost no problem with string moving in this setup. Happy hunting.

DrpShot!
12-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Big Hitter Blue and Cyberflash for good priced german co-polys.

ClubHoUno
12-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for all the input.

After reading your responses and doing many searches on the boards, I think the top strings on my "probably should try" polys are:
- Signum Pro Tornado
- Weiss Cannon Silverstring

Again, thanks for all the feedback and would appreciate anymore feedback you can give me on these strings!!!

TripleB

Your choices are OK - BUT you mix them up a bit here in my view.

Spin TWISTED &/or edged CoPoly, you should consider:

1. Signum Pro Tornado
2. Tecnifibre BlackCode
3. WeissCannon TurboTwist

Smooth and soft CoPolys you should consider:

1. Signum Pro Hyperion
2. WeissCannon Silverstring
3. Kirschbaum PROLINE II

If you stay with these 6 strings and test them - let me tell you, that you have the best of the best CoPolys there is to offer right now in the world !!!

Mansewerz
12-17-2009, 01:01 PM
How is big ace?

Blade0324
12-17-2009, 02:03 PM
How is big ace?

IMHO it is not a good string. It moves a lot and has more power than many multi's I've tried.
Many people here like it a great deal but I have not found it to be good for my game.

ClubHoUno
12-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Deleted char

DrewRafter8
12-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Deleted char

Not to completely hijack, but what were you're thoughts on the GT Limited vs the regular PS? I've got a Limited and a Plus demo. The Limited GT feels so light and maneuverable. If the weather will ever break, I'm excited to hit with it more. I haven't hit with an 18x20 since my days with a MW200G, but it seems to have more spin then any 18x20 I've ever used.

Irvin
12-18-2009, 03:24 AM

Thanks.

TripleB

Why not stay with what you know you like? If you are having elbow problems but like the strings just put the poly in the crosses and the multi-filament in the mains. That will soften up the string bed a lot and the poly crosses will hold the mains in place very well. If that still causes eblow pain I would not be looking for a 'softer poly.'

Irvin

schwuller
12-18-2009, 08:15 PM
i will second the suggestion of weisscannon silverstring. excellent modern copoly. some say the best. it's the best for me.

TripleB
12-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all the help...I just ordered a pair of strings to try...Tecnifibre Black Code 17g and WeissCannon Scorpion 1.22...going to team each up with a natural gut cross in my T-7s.

TripleB