PDA

View Full Version : String recomendations?

tennis005
12-16-2009, 12:59 PM
I recently got my Head Extreme strung with Babolat Pro Hurricane in the mains at 63lbs and Xcel in the crosses at 60 lbs. The problem is after about a month, I'm getting this really bad shoulder pain.Not sure if I should get a different poly for the mains, different crosses, or just forget about poly completely. Please help.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
12-16-2009, 01:20 PM
X-one...technifibre.....just try it

goran_ace
12-16-2009, 01:53 PM
You don't have to give up on poly completely just yet. For starters, drop your tension. Seriously. Like into the lower 50's.

ClubHoUno
12-16-2009, 02:18 PM
My advice if you have a sore shoulder - forget about using poly, and forget about Pro Hurricane Tour/Non Tour, which in my view is an awfull string and too stiff for a guy with a sore shoulder.

If you insist on using poly, atleast get some of the less stiff and newer CoPolys, which have much better power, softness and keeps the elasticity and tension far better, than both the Pro Hurricane and Hurricane Tour do.

Get Signum Pro Hyperion or Tecnifibre BlackCode - both EXCELLENT new CoPolys, which plays nice and soft and keeps elasticity and tension much better than Hurricane does.

Signum Pro Hyperion is in my view the best powerfull pretty soft CoPoly currently on the market, which is why I just bought a 660 feel/200 meter reel of it!
It plays EXCELLENT as a cross string in a hybrid with a prime multi - just EXCELLENT.

AVOID USING THE COPOLY IN THE MAIN STRINGS AT ALL COST, but instead have the Xcel in the mains and the COPOLY in the crosses. The COPOLY IN THE crosses will dampen and control the overall power of the multi in THE mains, while you still will get the soft feel and comfort from the multi in the mains.

Using the poly in the mains will further damage your shoulder - AVOID doing that instantly !

Try with a 17 gauge multi first, if this is not durable enough, try installing some string savers. Babolat Elastocross string savers are the best - use anything from 20-45 in a nice pattern around the sweetspot and a bit towars the top of the stringbed, because you often hit there, than in THE lower half of the string bed. It will prolong the life of the multi string by anything from 50-100% and minimize stringmovement.

If this still is not durable enough, use a 16 gauge multi.

I would consider Babolat Xcel Power; which is nice soft and crisp, and also the Tecnifibre X-One, which plays a bit stiffer at first, then loosens up.

These two Prime Multis are in my view the best on the market.

You could also consider WeissCannon Explosiv, Wilson [K] Gut, Wilson NXT TOUR, Tecnifibre NRG2 and Babolat Xcel standard (also called Premium) - but Xcel Power and X-One are the two best prime multis you can get IMHO.

String the multi in the mains 3-4 lbs heavier than the CoPoly in the crosses.....To get a Constant Stringbed Stiffness (CBS)

Hope this help you :)

BigT
12-16-2009, 02:36 PM
All poly will hurt after a month in my opinion, especially Pro Hurricane @63 lbs. Try a more comfortable poly like Polystar Energy or Topspin Cyberblue, and be happy to get 2-3 weeks out of it. Polys are just not made to hold their properties that long. Maybe you just need a good synthetic?

fuzz nation
12-17-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm with BigT and the other guys; dump the poly.

hcelizondo
12-17-2009, 11:13 AM
All poly will hurt after a month in my opinion, especially Pro Hurricane @63 lbs. Try a more comfortable poly like Polystar Energy or Topspin Cyberblue, and be happy to get 2-3 weeks out of it. Polys are just not made to hold their properties that long. Maybe you just need a good synthetic?

I agree as well. If Poly last you for about ammount most likely you don't need it.

If you still want to try it, lower the tension in the low 50's as recommended and don't use full poly jobs. Also change to a co-poly.

How long does a full synthetic job last for you?

Valjean
12-17-2009, 11:25 AM
See if a long layoff makes the pain subside; otherwise, see your doctor.

TennezSport
12-17-2009, 12:45 PM
I recently got my Head Extreme strung with Babolat Pro Hurricane in the mains at 63lbs and Xcel in the crosses at 60 lbs. The problem is after about a month, I'm getting this really bad shoulder pain. Not sure if I should get a different poly for the mains, different crosses, or just forget about poly completely. Please help.

I cannot tell you how many times we see this problem. First problem is stringing poly string too high in a stiff racquet. Second is believing that poly string is a long term durable string. The issue is that the higher you string poly strings the faster they go dead. Poly strings were designed for pro players to last approximately 2-6 hours of play, with the newer co-poly string averaging 12-16 hours before they go dead, and tracking the number of hours is key.

Once a poly goes dead it no longer pockets the ball and stops absurbing what little shock it originally did, so that shock goes right up the arm. It usually causes wrist, elbow of shoulder pain. Hybriding is the best way to offset this problem but keeping the poly tension down is vital (5-10% less, as most manufacturers recommend).

There are a number of really nice co-poly and hybrid strings coing out in 2010 that may save a few arms out there, so stay tuned.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

GZim
12-17-2009, 01:01 PM
I cannot tell you how many times we see this problem. First problem is stringing poly string too high in a stiff racquet. Second is believing that poly string is a long term durable string. The issue is that the higher you string poly strings the faster they go dead. Poly strings were designed for pro players to last approximately 2-6 hours of play, with the newer co-poly string averaging 12-16 hours before they go dead, and tracking the number of hours is key.

Once a poly goes dead it no longer pockets the ball and stops absurbing what little shock it originally did, so that shock goes right up the arm. It usually causes wrist, elbow of shoulder pain. Hybriding is the best way to offset this problem but keeping the poly tension down is vital (5-10% less, as most manufacturers recommend).

There are a number of really nice co-poly and hybrid strings coing out in 2010 that may save a few arms out there, so stay tuned.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

I have been using Wilsons Champions Choice @ 60#(VS on the crosses and Luxilon Rough on the Mains) on my RDS 002. I like the pop and ball feedback I get. The place I play has lots of condensation on the tarp behind the baselines so the balls get wet and heavy, and I think the gut is fraying much quicker and also, I have been getting some elbow pain (on Sunday after also playing Saturday).
Could you recommend a different string for me to try during our winter season? I like to hit a heavy ball with lots of top but don't want to loose power.

Thx

Gary

velkov
12-18-2009, 04:28 AM
which string you will recommend for top spin play. i've been told Babolat Pro Hurricane is the best one. presently i use babolat conquest rough 1.35 for my head liquidmetal radical mp. what would you say ? what tension and it's 1.3 or 1.25 is better choice ???