PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on comfort string with good power

HitItHarder
12-16-2009, 12:37 PM
My wife had a bout of TE, took several weeks off, and is now starting to play again. I am going to restring one of her racquets to try out and see if it helps with comfort but there are a few things that have me a little uncertain as to what is best.

First, she plays with a Head MG Monster, which is a few points headheavy, around 10.5 oz, a 16x19 string pattern, and a stiffness rating in the mid 60s. She would rather her arm fall off then switch to another racquet. She is a 3.5 that plays around 3 times a week between lessons, clinics and hitting with the girls. She hits flat and rarely breaks strings. Instead she just has her two racquets restrung every three months or so when I insist. She currently likes Head synthetic gut strings and isn't all that sensitive to strings or tension.

My first thought was to put a set of VS gut in her racquet. However, I have two reservations. One -- I have never strung gut before (or ever had gut strings before) and I am more than a little nervous to let a set of VS be my first attempt at stringing it. Two -- she leaves her racquets in the car all the time and they get a good bit of temperature exposure.

So I looked through my current strings for alternatives. I have sets of X-One 17L and NRG2 17 that I could use. I also have several sets of Forten Sweet 17 synthetic gut that I could use. Heck I even have some Alpha 15L nylon that came with my Revo. However, I will just order something if there is a better option.

I want a soft comfortable string with good power. But I don't want something that is going to go to pieces because she left it in the car all week.

Does anyone have any recommendations? My first thought is to go with the NRG2, but I am open to suggestions if there is something better out there.

Thanks ... HIH

goran_ace
12-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Start with Wilson NXT and see how it goes. If she needs more durability then NXT Max. If you are on a budget then go Pro Supex Maxim Touch.

ClubHoUno
12-16-2009, 12:57 PM
If she wants to get rids of that TE, you should talk her into getting another racquet, no matter how much she insists of keeping it....

A powerfull headheavy racquet with a stiffness rating in the 60 with MONSTER in the model name is a NO NO for any guy with TE trouble and even more so with a female with TE trouble.

Try to string the NXT up for her at pretty low tension - 54 lbs mains 52 lbs crosses and install some string savers to minimize string movement.

Irvin
12-16-2009, 02:18 PM
My first suggestion would be to get a racket that is not head heavy. Try Gamma TNT2 Rx 17 string.

Irvin

Valjean
12-16-2009, 03:26 PM
String what you have, using the NRG2 first. You haven't said what string she had been using and that would help determine the tension. Normal with TE's onset is to restring at five lbs. below what you had been doing, but that assumes the same string too.

lawlitssoo1n
12-16-2009, 04:22 PM
lower your tension. see how that works

HitItHarder
12-16-2009, 05:25 PM
String what you have, using the NRG2 first. You haven't said what string she had been using and that would help determine the tension. Normal with TE's onset is to restring at five lbs. below what you had been doing, but that assumes the same string too.

I believe the Head synthetic gut is called PPS or something similar. I string her racquet at 57lbs on a Revo.

Sounds like NXT or the NRG2 are the best bet.

Now the question is what tension. I am thinking 52 since that would be a 5lb drop. Should I possibly go lower?

Valjean
12-16-2009, 06:56 PM
The Head string doesn't have the power of NRG2 or NXT, though; 52 would be a step up; and the Monster is designed for power. Can your wife's play benefit from the uptick?

HitItHarder
12-17-2009, 05:31 AM
The Head string doesn't have the power of NRG2 or NXT, though; 52 would be a step up; and the Monster is designed for power. Can your wife's play benefit from the uptick?

Good point about the power difference in the strings. With a 5lb drop and a more powerful string that sounds like a pretty decent increase in the power. She could benefit from that on her serve. On her groundstrokes, not so sure. She will just have to dial it down a notch if things start to fly on her.

She has a couple racquets, so I guess I will string one with the NRG2 I currently have at 52lb to see how she likes it. In the mean time I need to order some strings from TW and I will get a couple sets of NXT too. If she isn't crazy about the NRG2 at 52lb, I will string up another of her racquets at with NXT at 55lb. I will just play around with the tension from there until I find something she is comfortable with.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.