PDA

View Full Version : Are these the best multi's?

wmoore
12-16-2009, 05:16 PM
For the past three years I've played either a full set of 18g poly (Enduro Tour mostly) or Tonic 15L/Enduro Tour 18. I've changed frames (for no good reason) to a Dunlop AG100 and don't like those strings any more. Gut is a pain to string so I'm settling in on some brand of multi, probably in a 16g.

I've tried Xcel, NRG2, TNT2 and Asterisk (strange feel) all in 16g. The durability is OK, I would like a bit more playability, but I don't want to drop down to a 17g.

Are these my best choices?

Valjean
12-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Try Wilson's NXT *OS* version, Tecnifibre's XR3 and X-1 Biphase, Babolat's Xcel *Power*.

wmoore
12-16-2009, 05:31 PM
what's the difference between NXT and NXT OS?

ClubHoUno
12-16-2009, 06:13 PM
My personal Prime Multi Top 5 - BEST OF BEST PRIME MULTIS:

1. Laserfibre Supernatural Gut Prostock - best multi ever made, but no longer in production :(
2. Babolat Xcel #POWER# (Not the regular Xcel) - VERY nice power, while crisp & soft
feeling
3. Tecnifibre X-One BiPhase - stiff, crisp & spinny
4. Tecnifibre NRG2 - soft, nice & gentle in feel
5. Wilson NXT TOUR - prefer this over the more expensive Wilson [K] Gut & [K] Gut Pro

Worthy of mention: , Babolat Xcel Standard (also called Premium), WeissCannon Explosiv & Gamma Professional Spin

Valjean
12-16-2009, 06:40 PM
what's the difference between NXT and NXT OS?
For one thing, it only comes in a 16L, which is just about perfect.

For the rest, see here: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2004/07/wilson_nxt_os_16l.html

Adam_mtl
12-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Gamme Revelation. Multi with good spin and a really good value at 7$ a set.

davidahenry
12-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Before I switched to full poly about 1.5 years ago, I tested four different high-end multi's: Gamma LiveWire XP, WeissCANNON Explosiv!, Tecnifibre X-One BiPhase, and Babolat Xcel Power. Here is my quick review...

Gamma LiveWire XP - Kind of vanilla. Nothing particularly great about this string. Nothing particularly horrible about this string.

WeissCANNON Explosiv! - Nice, soft string with great feel. But... It seemed to lack spin production. I play with a great deal of topspin, and with Explosiv! I felt I had to really work it in order to generate my normal amount of spin. This issue was a deal breaker for me.

Tecnifibre X-One BiPhase - Great string. Excellent crispnes and "pop". The only downside... It is just too powerful for my liking - even at 65 lbs.

Babolat Xcel Power - Outstanding string and definitely my favorite of the bunch. All aspects were great - no downsides. Well maybe one... It is the highest priced of the four, but IMO it is worth it.

Once I discovered Alu Power Rough, my days of playing with multis are long gone, but if I ever had to switch away from Alu, Xcel Power would likely be my string of choice.

Take care.

DH