PDA

View Full Version : Barcelona: Spoilers!!

Marius_Hancu
04-21-2005, 06:02 AM
OK, surprises continue:

OK, even lower ...

A Calleri (ARG) d (4)G Coria (ARG) 64 67(5) 76(2)
thus Calleri's up for Nadal, I guess, IFF Nadal gets by Hrbaty.

Ferrero's in the QFs too, on the other half.

gugafanatic
04-21-2005, 06:39 AM
Calleri is a very good player, he has a great single handed backhand. He is one of the dangerous floaters, who can take out top players when hes playing well. He took Rafa to 3 sets at Brasil Open, soo if Nadal beats Hrbaty it should be an intresting match.

Marius_Hancu
04-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Calleri is a very good player, he has a great single handed backhand. He is one of the dangerous floaters, who can take out top players when hes playing well. He took Rafa to 3 sets at Brasil Open, soo if Nadal beats Hrbaty it should be an intresting match.

Oh, Calleri can beat anyone on a given day, not consistent though and "super-charged" like Gonzalez.

Marius_Hancu
04-21-2005, 07:03 AM
Nadal has already broken Hrbaty 31 in 1st.
This might be quick.

gugafanatic
04-21-2005, 07:07 AM
Marius where is Simon Larrose these days??? I remember he took out Guga in one the masters (Montreal). The other dude who beat safin in wimbledon first rd last yr??? He got to the final of the River oak clay exhibition rescently. Both seemed genuine top 50 players. I am surprised by the lack of talent emerging from a large country such as Canada.

Marius_Hancu
04-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Marius where is Simon Larrose these days??? I remember he took out Guga in one the masters (Montreal). The other dude who beat safin in wimbledon first rd last yr??? He got to the final of the River oak clay exhibition rescently. Both seemed genuine top 50 players. I am surprised by the lack of talent emerging from a large country such as Canada.

Simon Larose was caught with "recreational" cocaine (pretended to have been in a party and someone gave it to him unknowingly ...). Has retired, to avoid more discussion, I guess. Sad, he was a talent, but not mentally.

Canada: too cold, too much hockey, I guess. Not enough competition. Now we have the top 4th junior in the world, Aleksandra Wozniak.

gugafanatic
04-21-2005, 07:13 AM
No way he retired!. He should have taken some time-off to regroup like many other players have.

Marius_Hancu
04-21-2005, 07:14 AM
6-1 for Nadal with Hrbaty.
Nadal's supercharged in this match, has something to prove I guess.

Marius_Hancu
04-21-2005, 08:37 AM
No problem for Nadal in the end: 61 62 with Hrbaty.
Very few people can stop him on clay now.

Marius_Hancu
04-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Can you imagine the fight here?
Stepanek Canas: 6-7(6) 7-6 (2) 7-6 (5)
he's in the QF, perhaps SF with Nadal.

Marius_Hancu
04-21-2005, 09:10 AM
It seems Mirnyi's taking out all the Spanish veterans.
After Costa, he's leading now Moya 64 30.
This is just great on clay: S-V!

Marius_Hancu
04-21-2005, 12:19 PM
New Swiss guy in the QF (beat Acasuso, who beat Safin):

Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI)
Birthdate:
3/28/1985

VamosRafa
04-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Calleri could be tough for Rafa -- that three set win was the one where Rafa had matchpoint, won it, but then overruled the linesperson who called the ball out. He then lost the set, and had to play another set.

If Rafa does win that match, he will move into the Top 10.

I'm kind of curious about Wawrinka too.

rhubarb
04-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Wawrinka won junior RG a couple of years ago, so is due for a breakout. And it would be nice to see another Swiss guy in the top 100 ;)

VamosRafa
04-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Wawrinka won junior RG a couple of years ago, so is due for a breakout. And it would be nice to see another Swiss guy in the top 100 ;)

Would give Rogi someone to play doubles with in Davis Cup. Yves Allegro isn't the most successful option there.

gugafanatic
04-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Warwinka??? what kind of species is he. According to a certian source, he's groundies and serve are similar to Fed in terms of technique.

Marius_Hancu
04-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Nadal mowing down Calleri 62 30 ret.
Next Stepanek. Don't see any problems there either.

JCF was able to beat Gaudio.
(SE)J Ferrero (ESP) d (2)G Gaudio (ARG) 46 64 63
That's very good for him.

VamosRafa
04-22-2005, 11:51 AM
If my info is correct, Rafa moves into No. 9 in the Atp Entry System with this win. He can go higher depending on how he continues to do.

It's unfortunate Calleri had to withdraw. Apparently he was playing well before his back started to bother him. Since none of us has TV, I thought you may like this description from a guy in Spain who watched the match:

First set summary

Nadal..... .winners ( not including aces ): 8 ...........unforced errors : 3

Calleri..... winners ( not including aces ): 9............unforced errors : 14

They aren't official statistics , are my own statistics , unforced errors according to my discretion

Although Nadal began the match breaking Calleri , in the first 6 games Calleri was dominating the rallies from the baseline and Nadal was always playing with his backhand , Calleri was hitting a lot of forehand winners and Rafa was being dominated....But at the seventh game Nadal began to play well, dominating the rallies and hitting more forehand winners , at this seventh game has broken again Calleri, and after Nadal has served and won the first set...... In the first six games Nadal hit 3 winners, at the two last games 5 winners... At the first set end Calleri received a massage on the back .

Calleri has a lot of problems in his movements but he's still fighting and hitting great forehands. Calleri decides to pull out at 3-0 in the second set, back problems...

Second set summary

Nadal..... .winners ( not including aces ): 2 ...........unforced errors :2

Calleri..... winners ( not including aces ): 5............unforced errors : 10

Final summary

Nadal..... .winners ( not including aces ): 10 ...........unforced errors : 5

Calleri..... winners ( not including aces ): 14...........unforced errors : 24

They aren't official statistics , are my own statistics , unforced errors according to my discretion

Thanks to "The Guest." :-)

That win doesn't surprise. What does surprise me is that Rafa and Feli beat the No. 1 seeds, Wayne Arthurs and Paul Hanley, 6-4, 6-4.

So Rafa's in the semis in singles and doubles. As "The Guest" frequently tells us, Rafa's schedule seems to be made by his worst enemy.

The Tennis Channel will broadcast one semi (don't know which one), and the final.

Marius_Hancu
04-23-2005, 05:15 AM
JCF upped level and rolled over Davydenko in 1st set TB 7-1!
Let's see how this works out. A tough 1st set, until that point, JCF was serving for it at 5-4, was broken back.

Yes, that was crucial, running all over him 3-0 for JCF now ..

Marius_Hancu
04-23-2005, 05:41 AM
OK, JCF's in the final. First in a long time:
2004--Rotterdam
Has't won since 2003 and with Nadal, his job won't be any easier.

efice32
04-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Nadal took out Stepanek 7-5 6-2. Nadal's gonna win his second tourney in a row. I would bet that TTC will broadcast the Nadal/Stepanek match b/c Rafael attracts viewers whereas Ferrero and Daveydenko...well niether of them are in the top 15 and not many casual tennis fans have heard of Daveydenko, but then again not many casual tennis fans have the tennis channel, so who knows. I would bet they'd show Nadal though.

Marius_Hancu
04-23-2005, 10:57 PM
If the wins the final, Nadal will be #7.