PDA

View Full Version : Prince Problend??

chava_valenza
12-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi, Can someone tell me what are the differences between the Prince Pro blend 16G and the 17G? I know they are basically the same but, I don't know which one to buy, or what are the benefits of each one. Thank you very much.

meowmix
12-16-2009, 08:02 PM
The 17g is a little thinner, which means that it'll break a LITTLE quicker, and it's a LITTLE more spin friendly. It's also a little less harsh on your arm. Personally, I'd start with a thinner kevlar than either of these, and go with some Ashaway Crossfire 18.

lawlitssoo1n
12-16-2009, 09:53 PM
the string just thinner that's about it, but kevlar is known for its durability do u don't really need to worry about that. the 17g is a TINYYYYY little bit better on the feel, spin, and power side, compared to a 16g.

Irvin
12-17-2009, 03:30 AM
Because the 17 gauge is thinner the mains will move more. When they start to move you will lose some power and control. The movement of the string may also drive you crazy. Because the thinner strings move more there is more friction and the strings will break faster. If you are going to Kevlar you undoubtedly want more spin or life from your strings. The 16 gauge provides both longevity and spin but a thinner gauge would give you a little more spin assuming they do not move too much for you.

I would recommend the 16 gauge. But if you want a thinner string try the 17 or 18 gauge Ashaway Kevlar with a 16 gauge synthetic gut cross string.

17 gauge - http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Ashaway_Kevlar_17_12_Set/descpageAC-AK7H.html

18 gauge - http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Ashaway_Kevlar_18_12_Set/descpageAC-AK8H.html

Irvin

lawlitssoo1n
12-17-2009, 09:51 PM
yea they DO move a lot and tension drops a lot too, but kevlar plays better on low tension anyways

Irvin
12-18-2009, 02:09 AM
'lawlitssoo1n' is correct does move a lot and that is why I like to go with a larger gauge cross string to hold it in place a little better. Kevlar is actually a very soft braided string to the touch, but it has little or no stretch. It provides more bite into the ball than any other string I have tried. Nothing even comes close to Kevlar as far as bite.

Therefore, if string movement bothers you Kevlar is not a string you want to try.

Irvin

Toad
12-18-2009, 06:37 AM
I have no problems with string movement in my kevlar hybrids...i do Ashaway Kevlar 18 @ 52/Gosen OG Micro 17 @ 55. The only time they move is when they are about an hour from breaking. I would go with the thinnest Kevlar and move up if it doesn't work for you...it is unlikely durability will be an issue, and from my experience (over a year with this set up), string movement isn't either. Also, Problend is the worst Kevlar I have played with.