PDA

View Full Version : racket back? or smooth motion

itracbui3
12-16-2009, 08:41 PM
so i was watching FYB vids and it said that the forehand motion should never stop and should make a smooth loop. but however, my coach and others told me to get ready earlier and take my racket back and wait for the ball to come. that would discontinue the motion wouldnt it? whos right? O_O

Blake0
12-16-2009, 09:21 PM
You don't really take the racket back as soon as possible, you're supposed to set up as soon as possible, the take back and swing of the racket should follow one consistent rhythm.

Setting up is when your shoulder and body is turned, both hands are on the racket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVNia4A9BTM

Here at this video he's set up at :02-:03 then he starts his whole swing in a continious motion.

GuyClinch
12-17-2009, 04:18 AM
I think at the highest levels - yes its a smooth prep. However getting the racquet back early is preferred to late prep. So I would listen to your coach. Think of it as a progression rather then just learning the one "right" way right off the bat.

Its not different then any other sport. You might learn a stem christie ski turn and then a proper parrell turn. A good skier can easily do both. Likewise if you go ice skating you might learn a 'snowplow" stop first and then a "hockey" stop. etc etfc.

As far as tennis goes I personally concentrate on turning the shoulders right away as soon as I decide its a forehand or backhand. And then I kind of let the backswing take care of itself.

What I can't quite mimmick in the FYB video (I believe) is the loop aspect. My forehand tends to straight to low take back..which is less then ideal but again its better then late prep.

Pete

LeeD
12-17-2009, 07:01 AM
As GC said, there are many levels of forehands and you don't start with the most advanced.
If your forehand is developing, and you're late on shots, your coach is right.
If your forehand is advanced, can play above all your other strokes, then the loop unit turn is correct.
Some players choose to shorten the loop into almost a straight takeback, the oval circle, sometimes squashed to almost flat, for consistency.
Do what you need to get consistent, replicable, and powerful.
Only practice can tell you which forehand style you need.

12-17-2009, 02:58 PM
so i was watching FYB vids and it said that the forehand motion should never stop and should make a smooth loop. but however, my coach and others told me to get ready earlier and take my racket back and wait for the ball to come. that would discontinue the motion wouldnt it? whos right? O_O

Some coaches on here would have you to believe that conventional coaches have long ago stopped teaching get the racket back and wait, and one even said it didn't believe it happened in the last 20 yrs! Pete and Lee are on here now agreeing with this old way. Wow, guess that was a surprise to you as you have sources trying to get you to use this old conventional technique currently, huh?

FYB is a much better source in this case.

LeeD
12-17-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm an old fart who always used the loop technique.
Lately, for return of serves and consistency, I've been copying McEnroe's stunted, straight takeback, but with SW grip and flat finish. Amazing difference in consistency and solidity.
Guess I"m not nearly the athlete I thought I used to be 35 years ago.