PDA

View Full Version : Does the brand of string affect its performance in your mind?

meowmix
12-16-2009, 10:02 PM
The question is posted above. Mentally, do you think that a string with Luxilon in its name will perform better than a string with... Golden Set (as an example) in its name? Do you think that the brand of string will influence your playtests?

Opinions please.

ogruskie
12-16-2009, 10:13 PM
It's all psychological. "You are what you think".

Some people think, "Wow I'm playing with ALU Power. This string is designed to give me incredible control". So they will feel more confident on their strokes and go for big shots without fear.

On the other hand if you think, "These strings are too loose, they're created by ______, I'm gonna suck" Yes, you'll feel uncomfortable and dial back on your strokes.

I personally feel more comfortable hitting big shots when I play with poly strings, even if they don't actually make me play better.

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-16-2009, 10:17 PM
I would definitely be a little biased. If Luxilon, Tecnifibre, Babolat, Prince etc. come out with a new string, I would probably go buy it because of the high reputation.

When I hear something like... say Gaucho Gut. It's been quite popular on these boards, but I would be reluctant to try it. I'd wait to see what others say about it.

I guess money is an issue too, especially if it is a pricey string. I wouldn't mind spending a couple bucks on some synthetic gut, but if it's one of those high end multifilaments or polys, I'd wait to see if it's actually worth my money.

Same with racquets... I'm hesitant to buy Powerangle racquets or whatever. Never seen anyone use one of those.

Steve Huff
12-16-2009, 10:37 PM
I think if I were using Global Gut, all I would think about is "will it break on my next hit?"

COPEY
12-16-2009, 10:42 PM
It's all about performance for me. I don't care what name is on it as long as it does what I need it to to do. Practicality and efficiency have always been my watchwords.

lawlitssoo1n
12-16-2009, 10:51 PM
happened to me w/ blue gear, "OH these strings are super spin strings!" guess that triggered my mind to change up my technique a little bit and was playing w/ more topspin then flat.

dextor
12-17-2009, 01:10 AM
Placebo effect, look it up.
Unless actual controlled scientific studies were done on strings, e.g. double-blind experiments with many subjects (i.e. good design), all reviews are anecdotal.
Although that's not to say placebo effect isn't good, it could very well elevate your game if you're more confident because you believe just because you paid big $$$ for your strings it's superior.

Irvin
12-17-2009, 04:19 AM
It may before you hit with the strings, but once you hit with them and your mind says it's all horse hockey then it is all over.

I would buy a branded string because of the brand, but I would not stay with a string I do not like no matter what the brand or price.

Irvin