PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry accident, has this happened to you?

crash1929
12-16-2009, 11:54 PM
I dropped my relatively new black berry curve in the hot tub for like 3 seconds or something. Immediately took it out. Took out the batterey. Dried it off with a towel and cold air from a hair dryer.

Do you guys think it will work tomorrow? Looks ok. My friend said her fahter went swimming in hawaii with his in his pocket for like 15 min and it was ok after 2 days.

albino smurf
12-17-2009, 07:40 AM
I saw a show where they said that you need to make sure that it is entirely dry before you turn it back on or it will make a short and ruin it.

VGP
12-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Yeah, I've heard this with electronics that get wet.

Leave in in a dry place for several days, then try and operate it.

Don't know if the hair dryer was the best idea....

raiden031
12-17-2009, 07:51 AM
My wife dropped a couple of cell phones in water and none of them worked after 2 days of drying. I ran my cell phone through the washing machine, and needless to say it didn't work again. :)

See the problem is most of the time when someone drops their phone in water, it was while turned on so the water probably shorted out the circuitry and destroyed it right then and there. Only if you're lucky will the phone have shut off without damaging the electronics such that it will work in 2 days of drying out.

jrod
12-17-2009, 07:55 AM
I dropped my relatively new black berry curve in the hot tub for like 3 seconds or something. Immediately took it out. Took out the batterey. Dried it off with a towel and cold air from a hair dryer.

Do you guys think it will work tomorrow? Looks ok. My friend said her fahter went swimming in hawaii with his in his pocket for like 15 min and it was ok after 2 days.

Was it on when you dropped it?

jmverdugo
12-17-2009, 08:10 AM
I have dropped a couple of Motorolas on the water while ON and I just turn them off, dry them for a couple of days and they still worked after all that, the speaker sounded funny though.

Bad Dog
12-17-2009, 08:16 AM
If you carry the typical insurance offered on Blackberry phones, the great news is that you may only have to spend around $100 for replacement, saving you up to $400 instead of paying for the full cost of a new one.

However, the most important lesson that I have learned from your experience is that I must back up all of my contacts to a separate computer program like Microsoft Outlook, and then email a copy to myself in order to be perpetually available via the internet.

borg number one
12-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Crash1929, I would suggest speaking with the folks on their helpline, either online or over the phone:

http://na.blackberry.com/

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/contact/

Lakoste
12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
I've dropped it in the hot tub before, tried drying it out but it never worked again. Some people put it in rice (google it for a better explanation), but it didn't work for me.

Fee
12-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I think that rice trick only works for iPhones. I know of two people who salvaged their phones that way.

Does the insurance cover the phone if you get it wet?

Mikey Fresh
12-17-2009, 07:54 PM
leave it in a bag of rice it pulls the water out

crash1929
12-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Well just under 24 hours later. I needed to check messages so it looked dry. I popped in the battery and it turned on ok. I thought man cool! My screen came up, time was correct, 6 new messages posted. I thought I was good. The roller worked fine and I could highlight all the icons. BUT then I notice when I went to click the roller on the messages....nothing happened. I could not click on any icon and open it. Then I noticed the buttons were not registering ( I could not punch in a number). Shortly after it turned off by it self. See what happens tomorrow. Maybe should have waited.-(

I don't think I had insurance. How much do these things cost. Dang.

crash1929
12-17-2009, 08:15 PM
The phone was on like normal when it fell in btw.

Mikey Fresh
12-17-2009, 08:20 PM
The phone was on like normal when it fell in btw.

go add inusrance to your plan, its 5 dollars a month than pay the 50 dollars then in 2 days you get your brand new phone

crash1929
12-19-2009, 01:18 AM
tks for the advice. funny thing is i was walking by a different store/co from where I purchased the phone and explained to them. I told them what happened he opened it up and said give it 5 days. the funny thing is is that they have a mechanism to tell if the unit got wet. good to know because i was considering just taking it back and playing dumb. lol. nah i wasn't still funny. i hope it turns on monday.

crash1929
12-19-2009, 01:19 AM
oh apart from the battery they also said to take out the sim card.

albino smurf
12-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Remove the sim card before you restart just in case. I'd say its probably burnt but maybe you'll be lucky.

tennytive
12-20-2009, 08:29 AM
By coincidence they just had this article on Yahoo this morning.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091206165218AAe6Mwc

LuckyR
12-20-2009, 01:15 PM
From my knowledge of watches (I assume cell phones would behave similarly), it will be the chlorine not the water that will kill your Blackberry. Of course if the hot tub was in your bathroom, ie one that you fill from the tap, then it is likely to work after drying out.