PDA

View Full Version : Advise to the legs: do not disturb the trunk !

albesca
12-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Rivers or words are written about kinetic chain and dependence of each body segment from the other, but very few about the “independence” between trunk and legs about the motion target.

Simulating a forehand semi open position and trying to separate consciounsly the motion target of the legs, down to up (after adding back to forward) from the motion target of the trunk , the rotation, as two really independent motions, I’ve noticed the follow :

1 ) the trunk rotation explodes at never seen speed without brakes, but in a limited arc of volountary motion ( 90 degrees or less ) .. ad a karate gyaku–zuki you can see here --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdDxBpDSiVM

2) a better balance after contact.

3) hips act as a trunk over-rotation limiter

4) trunk doesn’t loose energy to carry on the legs ..

What do you think about ?

Ciao
Alberto

albesca
12-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Do you have anything to say guys ?

Ash_Smith
12-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Sorry Alberto

I'm not sure I see the point that you're trying to make? Are you suggesting that the legs are not the initiator of the swing? Also, in the video you posted the extension of the arm is much more linear than say a forehand groundstroke - without the movement of the hips you won't reach the full extension/pronation and follow through.

Can you clarify?

Bungalo Bill
12-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Rivers or words are written about kinetic chain and dependence of each body segment from the other, but very few about the “independence” between trunk and legs about the motion target.

Simulating a forehand semi open position and trying to separate consciounsly the motion target of the legs, down to up (after adding back to forward) from the motion target of the trunk , the rotation, as two really independent motions, I’ve noticed the follow :

1 ) the trunk rotation explodes at never seen speed without brakes, but in a limited arc of volountary motion ( 90 degrees or less ) .. ad a karate gyaku–zuki you can see here --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdDxBpDSiVM

2) a better balance after contact.

3) hips act as a trunk over-rotation limiter

4) trunk doesn’t loose energy to carry on the legs ..

What do you think about ?

Ciao
Alberto

Alberto, you are the man!!! :)

I love it!

Although I didn't understand a word of it, I know I will love it when you explain it to me again!!

So before you do, YOU DA MAN!!!

Now, what was that again about "limiter"?

albesca
12-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Alberto, you are the man!!! :)

I love it!

Although I didn't understand a word of it, I know I will love it when you explain it to me again!!

So before you do, YOU DA MAN!!!

Now, what was that again about "limiter"?

Bungalo .. I remain at your feet, my lord, to receive the lashes that I have gained .... :)

I am not native English, it is not easy for me to explain what I mean, even when I was absolutely certain that you understand perfectly, you just want to have some fun .. and this is not a problem for me. ;-)

I know the legs are the first element of the kinetic chain ... but
what I try to tell you in so incomprehensible way is that I used my legs thinking them would have as main role to help the upper segments on rotation. This way has always created to me great problems of balance after the contact.
If now i don't think my legs have to help the hips, but I separates the tasks, the legs down and up (and fwd), the trunk on rotation, I find a great benefit in both speed of trunk rotation and balance after contact.

So doing my right foot doesn't go too much ahead after contact, i don't rotate with all body like a spinning top loosing the balance and, so doing seems i avoid the shoulder over-rotation.

I hope you enjoyed so enough to give me a little help ... :)

Ciao
Alberto

albesca
12-18-2009, 12:47 AM
Sorry Alberto
I'm not sure I see the point that you're trying to make? Are you suggesting that the legs are not the initiator of the swing?

No .. the kinetic chain starst from the legs, this is a fact.
Only i think a wrong legs usage could disturb the trunk rotation instead to help. I seem using the right leg to push the right hip forward, causes the hips rotate passively and so doing , the chain brakes and the trunk slow down having to carry the lower body disconnected.

Also, in the video you posted the extension of the arm is much more linear than say a forehand groundstroke - without the movement of the hips you won't reach the full extension/pronation and follow through.
Can you clarify?

Don't look at the arm .. i'm talking about legs and trunk. The video shows a very speedy hips + trunc rotation without the legs do something, apart working for balance. Hips use their muscles independently from the legs action, and this seems to me could help both the trunk rotation speed and general balance.

Thank you
Ciao
Alberto