PDA

View Full Version : Had tennis elbow bad for several months - what about the K-Zen heavy racket????

jimanuel12
12-17-2009, 06:50 AM
just wondering - (before I hurt my arm using the dreaded wilson hyper hammer OS)- I bought a wislon K-Zen (heavy) not the team racket - on sale - got a real deal.
some folks think that because of the stiffness rating (71) that it will cause me more TE problems and it is 1/4" longer than the standard 27" racket.
the weight seems ok at about 11.3 oz but the stiffness scares me a little.
any comments on users of the K-Zen heavy????:???:

benh2023
12-21-2009, 09:13 PM
I had one.....the pro at my club really pushed them. Biggest mistake I ever made. Good spin but too light overall....hurt my arm and shoulder...took me some time to recover.

yemenmocha
12-21-2009, 09:15 PM
11.3 isn't heavy. I'd say it's more mid-range. You need 12-ish, maybe a little more. Consider Yonex RDS002 Tour. Little higher static weight but HL with decent plowthrough.

Stiffness is rather uncontroversial as something that can worsen TE.

mikeler
12-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Does it feel soft to your arm?

jimanuel12
12-22-2009, 12:05 PM
a good beginners racket or racket for a player who is wanting to step up to a better racket.:)

ollinger
12-23-2009, 07:27 AM
K-Zens are among the stiffer racquets out there. Can't imagine why you'd want it if you have elbow issues. I tried the heavier Zen and found it very uncomfortable.

mikeler
12-23-2009, 07:42 AM
I just bought some new sticks with a stiffness rating of 63. They are way more comfortable than my old sticks that had a stiffness of 70.

mark999
12-23-2009, 06:14 PM
i bought it BEFORE i hurt my arm, did not know it was that stiff or i would not have bought in the first place.
trying to sell it now, but TW won't post my placement on the for sale items.
i thought i had done everything correctly, but maybe not.

if racket is new, TW will not allow you to post it.

mawashi
01-01-2010, 04:26 AM
Why not just say its a 9.5 outta 10? Used once is better than new right?

The LM Rad MP is a much better stick that you could really grow into n may never need to change.

mawashi

jimanuel12
01-20-2010, 12:03 PM
just wondering - (before I hurt my arm using the dreaded wilson hyper hammer OS)- I bought a wislon K-Zen (heavy) not the team racket - on sale - got a real deal.
some folks think that because of the stiffness rating (71) that it will cause me more TE problems and it is 1/4" longer than the standard 27" racket.
the weight seems ok at about 11.3 oz but the stiffness scares me a little.
any comments on users of the K-Zen heavy????:???:

i was afraid of the k-zen with the TE i have had for over 6 months now.
i bought it at close out for a steal but never hit a ball with it. it was brand new with the full k-factor cover.
i gave it to my niece, she just started playing, so she loves it.
too stiff of a racket for an old tennis player like me.

Topaz
01-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Most of the time TE is a result of technique issues than a racquet (though racquets and strings can contribute). Have you had a pro look at your strokes?

charliefedererer
01-20-2010, 09:37 PM
You are better off with a flexible frame like one of the Dunlop or Volkl racquets.
Not only are the frames less stiff, but you don't have to string them as tight to control their power, and stiff strings are another contributor to tennis elbow.
Also consider a softer string like a multifilament or natural gut.
Keep your forearm muscles in shape to prevent a tennis elbow recurrence by doing wrist curls, getting a Flexbar green or blue, and a hand gripper.
Be sure you don't have "wristy" defects in your stroke.

mikeler
01-21-2010, 05:15 AM
Just got my blue and green flexbars last night. Luckily my elbow is doing well enough that I went straight to the blue and was easily able to do 3 sets of 15 reps. I think it definitely helps.

charliefedererer
01-21-2010, 07:30 AM
^^^I was initially very skeptical, but the twisting motion with the Flexbars does seem unlike what you would get from other exercises.
It seems like the Flexbar blue is the best one do maintenance work for most fit adults.

jwbarrientos
05-02-2010, 08:46 PM
It worked for me.

pheonix6579
05-02-2010, 09:39 PM
I hated the Zen...gave me shoulder and elbow issues...Went to the PDR and things got much better

jimanuel12
05-03-2010, 07:08 AM
I hated the Zen...gave me shoulder and elbow issues...Went to the PDR and things got much better

i learned the hard way with the wilson hyper hammer, too light, and head heavy.
it was a beginners racket, i should have known better.
gave the k-zen to my neice, she is just a recreational player, so it was ok for her.
should have done my research before i bought the k-zen.
live and learn.