PDA

View Full Version : has anyone been to Beaches resort at Turks and Caicios?

EKnee08
12-17-2009, 08:36 AM
I am going to Beaches Turks and Caicos for Christmas week with my family. Their website indicates that they have day/night tennis. I have tried calling them to find out what type of court surface they have but no one was able to help me. (I no longer play on hard courts at all due to bad knees.) Does anyone know?

In addition, do they supply balls, or do I have to bring my own?

I am looking to travel light and ordinarily I bring my own racquets but if possible, I do not want to. Do they have quality racquets that can be supplied?

Also are there pros to hit with or quality games (4.0-5.0) that can be arranged?

The Beaches rep and their website was not able to answer any of these questions.

Thanks for any insights.

ollinger
12-23-2009, 07:35 PM
When they don't have an answer, it usually means there isn't much of an organized tennis situation there -- which is the case in most Caribbean locales. Courts are usually hard on the islands, occasionally astroturf if near the water. Very few hotels other than some rather large ones in the Caribbean have full time pros as people just don't go there so much for tennis. Matchmaking services are spotty, often a bulletin board people stick a card on. Bring balls unless they say they have them, because if they don't have them, there will be absolutely no place near by to purchase them. "Quality racquets"? Ummmmm.....

EKnee08
12-24-2009, 06:58 AM
When they don't have an answer, it usually means there isn't much of an organized tennis situation there -- which is the case in most Caribbean locales. Courts are usually hard on the islands, occasionally astroturf if near the water. Very few hotels other than some rather large ones in the Caribbean have full time pros as people just don't go there so much for tennis. Matchmaking services are spotty, often a bulletin board people stick a card on. Bring balls unless they say they have them, because if they don't have them, there will be absolutely no place near by to purchase them. "Quality racquets"? Ummmmm.....

Thanks! That makes sense from my past experiences at other islands, Club Med, etc.
I spoke top someone yesterday and they said that they supply balls, that they have 4 courts (eligible for night play) 2 hard courts, 2 soft courts (not Har-tru or clay)-so probably sand or synthetic, etc. They do supply racquets. As a result, at the worst I am expecting not to play. Oh well, that will just mean that I will take off one week of tennis and let my body recover.

bad_call
12-25-2009, 12:11 PM
try the scuba diving there...it's awesome. :)

Bud
12-25-2009, 12:24 PM
try the scuba diving there...it's awesome. :)

Did the islands recover after that direct hurricane strike (Ike) a year or so ago?

bad_call
12-30-2009, 07:48 AM
Did the islands recover after that direct hurricane strike (Ike) a year or so ago?

haven't been there since then. suggest checking out one of the dive shops for that info.