PDA

View Full Version : Best 17g WeissCannon Poly?

TripleB
12-17-2009, 11:06 AM
OK, I'm having two racquets strung, each with poly mains and Yonex Tour Super 850 crosses.

I'm going to have one strung with Tecnifibre Black Code 17 and the other with one of the WeissCannon 17g polys.

Which WeissCannon 17g poly is the best if I'm looking for softness, feel/touch, spin, control, power, tension stability (in order of importance)?

Just from reading all the posts I can find on each, it seems I'm leaning towards either Scorpion or SilverString.

Thanks for your input.

TripleB

ogruskie
12-17-2009, 01:51 PM
OK, I'm having two racquets strung, each with poly mains and Yonex Tour Super 850 crosses.

I'm going to have one strung with Tecnifibre Black Code 17 and the other with one of the WeissCannon 17g polys.

Which WeissCannon 17g poly is the best if I'm looking for softness, feel/touch, spin, control, power, tension stability (in order of importance)?

Just from reading all the posts I can find on each, it seems I'm leaning towards either Scorpion or SilverString.

Thanks for your input.

TripleB

I think your most common response would be the Silverstring. I wouldn't say SS is a soft string, but rather "crisp". If you string a bit lower than usual tension you'll be fine. The feel on this string is great. There's excellent touch especially when you hit big. Spin is great and your confidence in hitting big shots will increase. And I think SS is extremely well known for its excellent tension stability. Overall its pretty much a perfect string.

jrod
12-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I think your most common response would be the Silverstring. I wouldn't say SS is a soft string, but rather "crisp". If you string a bit lower than usual tension you'll be fine. The feel on this string is great. There's excellent touch especially when you hit big. Spin is great and your confidence in hitting big shots will increase. And I think SS is extremely well known for its excellent tension stability. Overall its pretty much a perfect string.

^^^ Agree. I use it as a cross string in a gut hybrid. It's funny because I think TW rates this string as one of the softest at a given tension. I string it 53 lbs in a PB10mid and it does feel crisp, at least initially (<2 hours). Great string.

Deodorant
12-17-2009, 02:58 PM
ive had ss 1.20 in my racquet that was stolen recently, and for that 3weeks i had it in there, it kept true to its tension and played exceptionally well, i'd have to put it up there with the lux alu bb's.

ClubHoUno
12-17-2009, 05:42 PM
WeissCannon TURBOTWIST is their best string ever !

Mig1NC
12-18-2009, 02:52 AM
Hmm... Makes me wonder about using TurboTwist mains and SS crosses.

Does that sound silly? I've got hybrid fever!

MarrratSafin
12-18-2009, 04:01 AM
Hmm... Makes me wonder about using TurboTwist mains and SS crosses.

Does that sound silly? I've got hybrid fever!

Nope, it makes sense! SS is cheaper and holds tension as well as Turbotwist if not better and you'll still be getting the playability and extra spin from the Turbotwist mains. So you get a cheaper stringjob that feels very similar and lasts as long, plus a more interesting color combo! I've got hybrid fever as well btw.:grin:

TripleB
12-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Whichever WC string I go with I'll be putting it as my mains in a T-7 racquet with natural gut crosses.

In comparison to the Luxilon BB ALU Power string I normally use in my mains, how should I adjust the tension for the WC strings?

TripleB

downs_chris
12-18-2009, 08:07 AM
i would just hybrid Silverstring (mains) with a gosen og sheep in the crosses...

Power Player
12-18-2009, 08:24 AM
I love scorpion. It is extremely comfortable, but still has power. It is worth buying a pack just to try out sometime. You can do a full bed of it and it feels great. I string it under 55#s. I buy it if I need a break from Cyberflash/Big Hitter.

TripleB
12-18-2009, 08:36 AM
i would just hybrid Silverstring (mains) with a gosen og sheep in the crosses...

Yea, in my closet I have some Gosen OG as well as some Yonex 850 to hybrid with it but I just received a couple packs of Gaucho natural gut I want to try first. Thanks for the advice...Gosen is my second favorite string to use in my crosses.

TripleB

downs_chris
12-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Yea, in my closet I have some Gosen OG as well as some Yonex 850 to hybrid with it but I just received a couple packs of Gaucho natural gut I want to try first. Thanks for the advice...Gosen is my second favorite string to use in my crosses.

TripleB

in reel form...gosen comes out to about 75 to 80 cents per half set (aka your crosses) -- doesn't get much better than that...

i also received a few sets of Gaucho -- haven't strung it up with anything yet -- hopefully the quality is decent (i've heard about premature breaking)....

hoodjem
12-18-2009, 12:42 PM
I did a hybrid of WC SS and TF X-1 Biphase. I thought it would be great, because each was supposed to be the cream of its category (best poly and best multi).

It played way too soft IMO, almost like mush.

I say go with Scorpion.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Some people like a soft stringbed others a stiff bed.

TripleB
12-19-2009, 08:08 PM
I appreciate all the input...I decide to go with the Scorpion 1.22.

TripleB

Casco
12-24-2009, 06:41 PM
TurboTwist then SilverString.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-24-2009, 06:49 PM
^^^^^Agree.