PDA

View Full Version : why is flexibility so important?(besides injruy prevention)

nalbyvsfed
12-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Im relatively new to playing tennis, 1 year, i can beat players who play like 5-7 years. i've never had a coach, i trained myself with instructions on websites like FYB ( thanks Will). but i am not flexible at all. i cant even touch my toes if i bend over, and its not by a bit.

so my question is : besides preventing injury's, does flexiblity improve your game?

GuyClinch
12-17-2009, 11:39 AM
It can certainly help your serve - as a high level serve involves a twisting and torquing of the body to facilitate power prior to the swing..

nalbyvsfed
12-17-2009, 11:41 AM
It can certainly help your serve - as a high level serve involves a twisting and torquing of the body to facilitate power prior to the swing..

hmm ok thanks.

BMC9670
12-17-2009, 12:19 PM
It can also help increase speed and help you recover faster with less soreness.

mike53
12-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Im relatively new to playing tennis, 1 year, i can beat players who play like 5-7 years. i've never had a coach, i trained myself with instructions on websites like FYB ( thanks Will). but i am not flexible at all. i cant even touch my toes if i bend over, and its not by a bit.

so my question is : besides preventing injury's, does flexiblity improve your game?

Sure. Normal flexibility and range of motion in you knees, ankles, hips, back and shoulders has to help when hitting low shots, moving back and forth on the court and reaching for volleys at the net. Just to name a few.

A lot of people look at themselves as inflexible when all they need is a little practice.

lancernrg
12-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Im relatively new to playing tennis, 1 year, i can beat players who play like 5-7 years. i've never had a coach,

Wow...you sound like a arrogant piece of..

...anyway flexibility is overrated.

TheFuture101
12-17-2009, 02:00 PM

Federer can practically tie himself in a knot haha jk. Flexibility will improve everything because you will have more sling(zip) to your shots. Don't neglect it or it will bite you in the ***. Literally.

nalbyvsfed
12-17-2009, 02:06 PM

i'm sorry i didnt mean it that way, i have respect to everyone i play against so dont see me as arrogant. by the way, i still do lose many matches.After all i am asking questions, if i was arrogant i wouldn't ask, i would know better , no?thanks everyone for the advice.

wihamilton
12-17-2009, 02:09 PM

Hey -- thanks!

My buddy Ian Westermann wrote a great post about the importance of flexibility awhile back. You can check it out here --

http://essentialtennis.com/problog/2008/10/flexibility-how-it-affects-your-game/

SirSweetSpot
12-17-2009, 02:33 PM
^^ What are you trying to do, steer us to his site so he can peddle us something?

wihamilton
12-17-2009, 02:36 PM
^^ What are you trying to do, steer us to his site so he can peddle us something?

Nope. He doesn't sell anything on ET. He does, however, provide great instruction.

Bungalo Bill
12-17-2009, 02:46 PM

You want flexibility because it enahnces the way you move and execute your stroke.

If you are stiff, you won't get the range you could get if you were more flexible.

Flexibility plays a role in power as well. The more elastic your muscles and tendons are, the more flex you will be able to put in your motion which can create and support eventual racquet head speed.

The serve needs flexibility so you can improve the length of distance between your racquet head and the tossed ball. By getting an optimal stretch and using your body and motion to sling the arm up, being flexibile and relaxed can improve hitting your serve with power.

Flexibility can be thought of in a very simple way. Just think of a rubber band.

Also, don't under estimate flexibility and your movement. The more flexible you are the more balls it helps you get. Sometimes you need to stretch to get more of your hips in the shot especially if you are on the run. Tennis utilizes nearly every muscle in the body. It is important that your muscles are elastic so you can perform and change your body shape through various numbers shots as you play.

nalbyvsfed
12-17-2009, 11:19 PM
You want flexibility because it enahnces the way you move and execute your stroke.

If you are stiff, you won't get the range you could get if you were more flexible.

Flexibility plays a role in power as well. The more elastic your muscles and tendons are, the more flex you will be able to put in your motion which can create and support eventual racquet head speed.

The serve needs flexibility so you can improve the length of distance between your racquet head and the tossed ball. Bu getting an optimal stretch and using your body and motion to sling the arm up, being flexibile and relaxed can improve hitting your serve with power.

Flexibility can be thought of in a very simple way. Just think of a rubber band.

Also, don't under estimate flexibility and your movement. The more flexible you are the more balls it helps you get. Sometimes you need to stretch to get more of your hips in the shot especially if you are on the run. Tennis utilizes nearly every muscle in the body. It is important that your muscles are elastic so you can perform and change your body shape through various numbers shots as you play.

Wow, thanks. Then i should consider flexibility for more reasons :) and become more flexible.

SirSweetSpot
12-18-2009, 07:34 AM
Nope. He doesn't sell anything on ET. He does, however, provide great instruction.

Sorry :neutral:

ahile02
12-18-2009, 07:52 AM
When I stretch one leg at a time (hamstrings sitting down), I can touch my toes on my left leg, but not my right leg. When I put both feet together and try to touch my toes, I struggle to get past ankles. Hmmm

mike53
12-18-2009, 08:09 AM
Just a matter of regular practice, stretching and pulling little farther each time and then maintaining it. Pick up a copy of the Concise Light on Yoga and work on only the easiest movements (they rate them for you). You'll be touching your head to you knees in no time.

charliefedererer
12-18-2009, 11:23 AM
If a picture is worth a thousand words, how many words is a video worth?

Above, Will Hamiton of FYB may have been too modest to toot his own horn, but I'll toot it for him. His following video shows you in slow motion and stop action video the knee bend, upper body rotation, and assuming of a bow shaped position going into the trophy pose ... and the rapid leg extension, upper body rerotation and reversal of the bow position as he goes from the trophy pose to actually hitting the ball ... all in just the couple tenths of a second you would never be able to follow with the naked eye in real time:
http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/serve/advanced-serve-technique/trophy-pose-to-racket-drop-when-serving/

Since you say you are new to the game, this insight in his advanced serve technique section is probably more than what you want to be doing right now, but it is a graphic representation of the type of flexibility you should be aiming for.
For right now, try his serve fundamental videos
(http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/serve/serve-fundamentals/) and serve progression videos (http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/serve/serve-progressions/) for the foundation you will need to then take advantage of his advanced serve technique videos.
If you can relate to these serve videos, his instruction on the groundstroke and volley videos are also first rate.