PDA

View Full Version : Review of Pacific Classic Gut

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
12-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi, im a 4.5 righty. I hit with moderate spin on my forehand, and a little bit flatter on my backhand.

Note: This is a hybrid of classic 16g with PSG Gold (Prince Synthetic Gut) 16g at 60 lbs.

Stringing:
Much easier than full poly which i usually use. Much more stretch than polys. I did a light prestretch, just enough to let out the coil memory. Tried to take my time with the gut, went slowly. Cutting the gut in half was enough to do the mains. I assume its enough to do another stick because they are the same length. The crosses were lovely, much better than with poly.

Hit with my stick for a bit now.

Groundstrokes:
When i hit the first 4 balls, they were flying all over the place. I concentrated harder on my technique, and i was hitting normally. Spin production was great, I could hit short angles, loopy forehands: no problem. Hitting flat was awesome. You felt the pocketing effect much more on flat shots than spinny ones. My favorite shot tonight was smacking back a super hard shot. My friend is very good and can hit freaking hard shots. If i had just enough time to set up and get a good smack at it, you could feel the ball sink into your stringbed zip out.
I had noticeably more pop on my groundstrokes. It seems NG makes me hit with proper technique to not make the ball fly long.

Volleys:
Volleys were a dream. Amazing comfort and feel. I could hit drop volleys, short angles, anything.

Serves:
I didnt get to hit serves that much because we basically rallied for an hour. Will update soon.

Etc:
String movement wasnt bad. In fact, the string barely moved. Only on a couple intense rallies, but only 2 or 3 crosses (which are the PSG, not NG)
Durability is great so far, no sign on fraying. Only minor notching.

P.S.: Rabbit is awesome
Also, I was playing indoors

Rabbit
12-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks!

Yes, if you cut it in half, you'll be good to go for another frame. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Be advised that if it's cold where you are, you'll miss some of the pocketing that gut is famous for. Cold weather tends to stiffen it a bit more.

and Merry Christmas.

2handsbothsides
12-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Should play great compared to full poly. Much larger sweet spot, easy on the arm, power but solid control once you adapt. PSG is good, but I think Forten Sweet in natural complements the gut better as a cross for a longer lasting feel and less string movement overall.

Valjean
12-17-2009, 03:23 PM
....Note: This is a hybrid of classic 16g with PSG 16g at 60 lbs.....
What!?!!! Okay, I give up; which one.

bruce nissenbaum
12-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Finally took the plunge to try NG. After reading as many reviews as possible chose to string full set of Pacific Classic 17 @ 60/62, 2 pc, in PSC 6.1 95, same tension at which I used Laserfibre Supreme 17 that I have yet been able to find a comparable replacement for.

The Classic was quite less a problem to string than I had been expecting for NG based on general commentary. Package stated the thickness as 1.24mm, but the actual thickness measured between 1.17mm - 1.19mm. String felt like it was coated, there were a few rough spots but no serious imperfections. Felt kind of odd, stiff yet soft. There was no serious coil memory out of the package, but did a light pre-stretch anyway. Mains strung very quickly with no kink issues. Took a little more time with crosses to try and minimize friction, helped by a lite coating of candle wax. Again, no kink problems. Went very smoothly until final few crosses but had no significant issues. Knots cinched up well and tight. Post strung thickness of the 2 center mains measured 1.14mm. Both pre and post thicknesses are less than Biphase X-1 17 and Bab Xcel Premium 17 and post thickness is about same as LF Supreme 17. Post strung tension was appx 4-5 lbs lower than Biphase X-1 17 and LF Supreme 17 and about the same as Bab Xcel Premium 17.

First couple of sets played, string felt stiffer/more firm and less resilient than either X-1, Xcel, or Supreme; not overly lively; not as responsive as I expected for NG; and with not as much feel as I expected. Since string felt like it was coated I had to wonder whether, if true, the coating had to be worn off before experiencing the benefits of NG. Kept working with the string in view of the cost!!!

Long story shortened, we're now at 10 sets played and we're beginning to note a significant improvement in playability from earlier. String is beginning to feel more responsive/resilient, crispness seems to be replacing stiffness yet the string is soft (not mushy) and comfortable, serves/overheads are 'exploding' off the stringbed, spin seems to be more prevalent, and there seems to be better feel/touch. And I'm finding I don't have to work as hard, especially against heavy pace. It's almost as if I playing with a completely different string!!! And my mindset has been improving as well. Can confidence be far behind????

Though I don't recall having read it (unless I missed one of Rabbit's many fine points on the string) this string seems to need a break-in period. Maybe there is a coating on the string that I commented on earlier that has to be worn off. Whatever has occurred, it has done so for the better. I'm certainly going to leave it in place for an extended period now and continue to compare with X-1. I'm beginning to think I like Pacific over Xcel as an all Xcel stringbed can be very 'jumpy,' which the Classic is definitely not.

Will be interesting to find out if anyone else has felt (or knows if) the string is coated and/or has had any similar experience as to a break-in period.

Much appreciate all the excellent NG info and comparisons described in this forum over the years, especially the Classic descriptions provided by Rabbit.
Thanks. ~B

scotus
12-17-2009, 04:35 PM
First couple of sets played, string felt stiffer/more firm and less resilient than either X-1, Xcel, or Supreme; not overly lively; not as responsive as I expected for NG; and with not as much feel as I expected.

Did you prestretch the gut?

2handsbothsides
12-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Bruce, you have all the symptoms of stringing initially a bit too tightly. Classic is unique in that it can be strung at lower tension than many strings to provide power yet with solid control. Go down a pound or so and it will play very well from the start. I agree with your statement that this string reduces the work load to produce superior results. I found many more hours of this in the zone playability vs. its natural competitors of Babolat Tonic or Klip Legend. I also do not prestretch this string at all as it is already pretty stiff. It handles just fine with a little bit of care to avoid kinking.

bruce nissenbaum
12-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Bruce, you have all the symptoms of stringing initially a bit too tightly. Classic is unique in that it can be strung at lower tension than many strings to provide power yet with solid control. Go down a pound or so and it will play very well from the start. I agree with your statement that this string reduces the work load to produce superior results. I found many more hours of this in the zone playability vs. its natural competitors of Babolat Tonic or Klip Legend. I also do not prestretch this string at all as it is already pretty stiff. It handles just fine with a little bit of care to avoid kinking.

60/62 was my start point since that's been my preferred tension with LF Supreme and TF X-1. Perhaps it was a bit too tight; we'll see what happens as I keep playing it. If playability continues or continues to get even better an 8-10 set break-in is not much of a problem to deal with, though I might try small increment decreases going forward since the AZ oven has been turned off for awhile! :-)

The pre-stretch I started to do turned out to be fairly minimal once I realized the string resistance did not warrant anything substantial. I would probably leave it alone next time and maybe try 60/60.

bruce nissenbaum
12-18-2009, 08:25 AM
deleted duplicate

Richie Rich
12-18-2009, 08:46 AM
bruce, how are you finding the durability in such an opened pattern frame? i remember my 6.1 was a string eater and for that reason did not put gut in that frame

Valjean
12-18-2009, 08:49 AM
60/62 was my start point since that's been my preferred tension with LF Supreme and TF X-1. Perhaps it was a bit too tight; we'll see what happens as I keep playing it. If playability continues or continues to get even better an 8-10 set break-in is not much of a problem to deal with, though I might try small increment decreases going forward since the AZ oven has been turned off for awhile! :-)

The pre-stretch I started to do turned out to be fairly minimal once I realized the string resistance did not warrant anything substantial. I would probably leave it alone next time and maybe try 60/60.
Most natural gut strings now have a stiffer feel than they used to due to various manufacturing add-ons, including coatings to defeat moisture in various guises. Still, the string can be something to get used to, since even its early stiffness can go along with considerable resiliency, depending on the brand. All in all, I have found this is typically not the material to require, and benefit from, increased cross string tension at all to play well; you're on the right track there, and dropping it, however much, should definitely help too.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
12-18-2009, 01:23 PM
My racket has a 16x18 pattern in a 98 sq in head.
So far, the strings show not too much wear. Probably will last me a long time

bruce nissenbaum
12-18-2009, 03:07 PM
bruce, how are you finding the durability in such an opened pattern frame? i remember my 6.1 was a string eater and for that reason did not put gut in that frame

I'm probably not the best reference to use for durability as I have never broken a string in my rather brief tennis life! And if this gut lasts as long as some have suggested, I may never have to string again if this works out! LOL I will certainly report back if, by some chance, the Classic does break.

bruce nissenbaum
12-18-2009, 03:16 PM
One of my initial observations of the Classic just after I opened it was that it felt like it had a coating, something I didn't remember reading about through the many posts I had scoured on NG and/or Classic. And I thought that may have had some impact on the initial playability of the string. Well, I happened onto a string forum web site a little while ago that provided the following as part of the string description: "TYREC II coated." Couldn't find anything re: TYREC II except that it relates to shreds of recycled tire rubber. FWIW.
But apparently there is some sort of coating on the Classic and maybe that has to wear off before getting the expected NG feeling, hence the possible 8-10 set break in period.

2handsbothsides
12-18-2009, 04:10 PM
There is a coating and it really doesn't wear off. All strings just loose tension over time, but the Classic will loose tension slower than most. If you had matched racquets and tried side by side with a fresh string job at optimal tension you would find the fresh job produces much more consistent results.