PDA

View Full Version : Prince Tournament Nylon - Good or Bad?

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
12-17-2009, 02:13 PM
At the moment, I am borrowing my coaches k90s as he is stringing mine.
They are both strung with this string
-It is the cheapest of the cheap.
-Durable
-Makes your racket feel like a saucepan....

Although i seem to be hitting some of the most unbelieveable
shots ever. There is NO feel whatsoever. There is NO spin whatsoever.
There is NO power whatsoever.
Is it the racket?
Also...what do you guys think it's like.

Kick Serve 14
12-17-2009, 02:18 PM
-Durable

Is it the racket?

well... that racket does give you NO power, but it is most likely the strings, tournament nylon, is cheap, and not playable. what string do you normally use? That might help answer your question better...

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
12-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Its in my signature.....

Kick Serve 14
12-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Its in my signature.....

probably the strings, in my experience, MSV is very spin friendly...

DE19702
12-17-2009, 05:44 PM
I bought two identical Prince Diablo mids. One came with the Prince Tournament Nylon 15 and I had the other strung with Babolat Xcel Power because of the recommendations on this board. The Prince is noticeably better in my opinion. The Babolat is stiff and lacks the control of the Prince. Go figure.

scotus
12-17-2009, 05:54 PM
I bought two identical Prince Diablo mids. One came with the Prince Tournament Nylon 15 and I had the other strung with Babolat Xcel Power because of the recommendations on this board. The Prince is noticeably better in my opinion. The Babolat is stiff and lacks the control of the Prince. Go figure.

Were the two strung at the same tension on the same machine?

DE19702
12-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Both were strung by different vendors but were supposed to be strung at the same (mid) tension. The rackets were new. I thought the Xcel was strung higher but I have no way to tell. That's why I'm going to learn how to string my own rackets.

scotus
12-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Both were strung by different vendors but were supposed to be strung at the same (mid) tension. The rackets were new. I thought the Xcel was strung higher but I have no way to tell. That's why I'm going to learn how to string my own rackets.

Well, that makes it difficult to judge the strings.

Let's say the Prince Nylon was strung on a Prince NEO without any prestretching or with prestretching by hand.

And let's say your Babolat Xcel was strung on a Babolat Star electronic machine and was prestretched by machine.

Even if the reference tension was the same, the second will produce a much stiffer stringbed.

Irvin
12-18-2009, 03:33 AM
I think the string is worth the money but everyone will not I can tell you. I have no idea what the pro's rackets are but you may want to try the nylon in one of your racket to see if you like it. Just because someone likes or dislikes a string does not mean you will feel the same.

Experiment!

Irvin

DE19702
12-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Well, that makes it difficult to judge the strings.

Let's say the Prince Nylon was strung on a Prince NEO without any prestretching or with prestretching by hand.

And let's say your Babolat Xcel was strung on a Babolat Star electronic machine and was prestretched by machine.

Even if the reference tension was the same, the second will produce a much stiffer stringbed.

If that's the case (which I am not necessarily disagreeing with), then no one can really say anything about any string and how you string is just as, if not more important that what you string.

scotus
12-18-2009, 03:18 PM
If that's the case (which I am not necessarily disagreeing with), then no one can really say anything about any string and how you string is just as, if not more important that what you string.

Actually, it's not too difficult to compare strings.

Take your strings to the same stringer and have them strung at the same tension on the same machine (and on same model racquets). The prestretching option, whether you choose to do it or not, should be applied equally to both strings.

With everything being equal, you can now say something definitive about the string stiffness.

Fortunately for me, I own a stringing machine, so it's easy for me to make comparisons.

kcmiser
12-18-2009, 05:19 PM
-Durable

Is it the racket?

I think this is a good string to experiment with, particularly in hybrids. I find it has a dead feel compared to normal synthetic gut, and has lower power than synth' gut, but is more consistent across the stringbed (that's very big for me). It isn't particularly fun to hit with (no real 'wow' moments), but it's really predictable, which I really like. It's also slightly softer than most synthetic guts, which is a factor for some.

I think it's a little underrated, but I wouldn't suggest anyone run out and buy it because of the price. Don't by a $180 racquet, then pick your string based on its being a buck or two cheaper than another sting.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
01-06-2010, 07:16 AM
I agree with the above but does anyone actually use the string
in matches or so? It just ruins the whole experience of playing tennis,
I got my normal racquets back anyway so I'm playing
much better(Thank God).