PDA

View Full Version : D. Hrbaty: not that good

ferrari_827
04-21-2005, 07:04 AM
The couple of times I've seen Hrbaty, I wasn't impressed with his tennis game or tecnique. It looks like a junior tennis game with alot of tenacity and a bit more power.

Maybe I'm missing something, but he doesn't seem like a talented player. Yet he's had wins over top players, including Federer and Safin. Just goes to show you don't have to have a flashy or brilliant game to be effective.

TennisD
04-21-2005, 08:20 AM
The couple of times I've seen Hrbaty, I wasn't impressed with his tennis game or tecnique. It looks like a junior tennis game with alot of tenacity and a bit more power.

Maybe I'm missing something, but he doesn't seem like a talented player. Yet he's had wins over top players, including Federer and Safin. Just goes to show you don't have to have a flashy or brilliant game to be effective.
He might not be that good, but he's still better than you!

ferrari_827
04-21-2005, 08:30 AM
That's for sure (!)

For a professional tennis player, I can't remember someone looking so awkward on the tennis court.

TennisD
04-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I'll agree with you there. To be honest, when I first saw this title, I thought you were going to go off on him, that's why I responded that way. Sorry. The guy does have a lot of skill though!

jaap deboeck
04-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Really? Look I've seen numerous charged comments about how poor the WTA is, and now Hrbaty! A very fluid game that is deceptive. As they say, "he makes it look easy." I have seen him a the Hamlet Cup (now vanished to parts unknown) with an utterly effortless motion pump in 125 mph serves. Even if we acknowledge that the premier athletes for $ or cultural reasons do not gravitate to tennis, when we start accusing top 30 calibre ATP players of having not much game, we are skating on thin ice. Yes, Hrbaty like many Europeans and South Americans is better on clay. But, "Not that good?" Agassi has now lost to Fed, sometimes routinely, seven straight times. Is he defficient too?

tennissavy
04-21-2005, 09:08 AM
I have to give credit to Hrbaty here. I have seen several of his matches and I thought he was pretty good, even impressive. Everyone can improve and yes he could always improve but perhaps his detractors have only seen him when he was having an off day. Everyone has those too.

6-0 6-0
04-21-2005, 11:07 AM
I was amazed last summer when Hrbaty played Andy Roddick at the RCA Championships and lost big time. He just looked like he didn't have the game both mentally or physically to beat a big name player. Then he goes in and beats Roger Federer at the Cincinnati Tournament. Unbelievable. It was obviously an off day for Federer, but it is hard to believe that a player like Hrbaty could have a chance against him even on an off day. I think he has been on the tour for around 10 years though if I am not mistaken.

alfa164164
04-21-2005, 11:20 AM
The couple of times I've read his posts, I wasn't impressed with his writing, subject, or content. It looks like a junior's writing with alot of volume but no substance.

Maybe I'm missing something, but he doesn't seem like a talented poster. Yet he has tons of posts. Just goes to show you don't have to have something interesting or accurate to say to be prolific.

(Sorry ferrari, I couldn't help, your observations on Hrabty are "not that good" IMO (I've seen him beat Agassi in Miami and Federer in Cincy). But I do enjoy watching your Yonex love fest from afar, the RDX HD is a great stick.)

As Susan's mother on Seinfeld said "Something's missing alright."

rafael
04-21-2005, 11:30 AM
I believe I read a column about him where he stated that he has no real natural tennis ability (like federer). He is where he is in tennis and beats who he beats because he is willing to work and train harder than the next guy.