PDA

View Full Version : The Drop Shot

Cody
12-18-2009, 01:38 AM
I was reading over one of Cindy's threads about tools players have according to there level and the drop shot came up a bit.

So i was just wondaring what are the key factors to a drop shot and how can we put them to better use.?

What are the main things to remember when attemping a drop shot.?

Thanks

Cody,

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-18-2009, 01:58 AM
I was reading over one of Cindy's threads about tools players have according to there level and the drop shot came up a bit.

So i was just wondaring what are the key factors to a drop shot and how can we put them to better use.?

What are the main things to remember when attemping a drop shot.?

Thanks

Cody,

You must employ underspin (a lot if you can), and aim high over the net but have the ball on the dropping part of it's trajectory when it's crossing the net. Also, a good drop shot bounces 4 times before passing the service line.

As for it's actual usage, you want to use it when you're inside the baseline and moving forward. Also, your opponent should be a few feet behind the baseline and expecting a big shot, so fake them out with a big swing and then softly come under the ball. And finally, you want to hit your drop shots BEHIND your opponent. Usually, they'll be running to cover the center of the court or the down the line shot, so you'll have room behind them to hit. Finally, if you hit a good one, move up to take the net shot. Their options are the bunt down the line, the crosscourt angle, or a throw up lob in the center of the court. You can cover two (a side and the lob), so pick which ones you're going to cover. The closer you get to the net, the more you can cover, but the less time you have to react, so do what you feel you can pull off consistently. Easiest shot to hit from here is the lob volley over their head. If they hit the angle, just volley it down the line for a winner. If you hit it at the right time though, you they won't get it back.

Personally, I use to hate drop shots like Federer. Part of the reason was that I didn't own a reliable one, but now that I do, I love using it. They're very easy to use, and I find it easy to tell when's the right time to use it. But that's only because I'm trying to think more like a clay court player and use more point construction.

USERNAME
12-18-2009, 02:08 AM
Soft laid back wrist and cup the ball, brushing under it a tad. Remember to still move through the ball, so many times Iv seen lower to mid lvl players try a drop shot and basically cut straight down on the ball,99.99% of the time this is an EPIC FAIL! Of course that 0.01% time it bounces back to your side and is just EPIC lolz! Also remember to pick and choose when to attempt it, much higher chance of success if you hit it well inside the baseline then when on it (or behind it, YOU AINT FED:rolleyes:) Also whenever given the opportunity disguise it.

ms87
12-18-2009, 02:12 AM
disguise is extremely important here; if your opponent senses what you're doing, almost any dropshot end up being tracked down and attacked.

Netspirit
12-18-2009, 10:06 AM
1. Position - more effective when close to the net, much harder and less effective from the baseline
2. Disguise (use normal takeback)
3. Weight distribution - easier when your weight is on your front foot (see Djokovic's explanation in his lesson thread)
4. Underspin
5. Side-spin
6. Placement: into the open court, DTL *usually* better than CC (shorter distance + side-spin)
7. Follow the ball, do not stay there looking pretty

Camilio Pascual
12-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Also, a good drop shot bounces 4 times before passing the service line.
True.
And the very best drop shots of ALL bounce exactly twice.

SirSweetSpot
12-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Are there instances when its advisable to hit the dropper with my normal forehand grip (SW), and other instances where a continental grip should be employed?

naylor
12-18-2009, 01:53 PM
I often use the dropshot as a return of serve in doubles, from the ad court, for weak second serves that are landing somewhere in the left half of the service box. For those, I'll always be running around the backhand and playing a forcing forehand, so the opponent at the net stays in place to cover the down-the-line, and the server generally stays back to cover the deep return. Then at the top of the bounce, keep the SW grip for the normal forehand, but just open and lay back the wrist and cup the ball inside-out across towards the tramlines. My partner is there to cover the pick-up down-the-line, I'm coming forward to cover the cross-court dink, but quite often the server doesn't react until after the ball has bounced - too late.

The next couple of second serves, drive a hard inside-out forehand to keep the server honest. Then, repeat the drop.

Cindysphinx
12-18-2009, 03:13 PM
We've been working on touch shots, including drop shots.

Pro doesn't like it when we use excessive slice. He's more of a fan of a cradling, stroking motion, forward with extension. Very hard to put into words. The disguise is better, which is half the battle.

He said something I really took to the other day. Said you want to place the dropper in the corner close to the net (but not crazy close) -- preferably on the opposite side of opponent, but that's not mandatory. It isn't necessary to win the point with the dropper. If you draw your opponent up to the corner close to net, their entire court will be open. So you can close in from the baseline to cut off their options, and if you can touch the shot they hit you will win the point. It's more of a 1-2 play than an attempt to win the point outright while you stand flat-footed watching your opponent run.

We did this in a semi-private lesson. I have to say, it works well. My lesson partner and I both knew that we each would be trying drop shots, and still it was hard to reach a well-placed, well-disguised dropper in time to do anything decent with it.

Solat
12-18-2009, 05:20 PM
the best tip i have hear and since use in my coaching is that the peak of the ball flight needs to be on your side of the net, the ball must be dropping as it crosses the net. Most people subconciously view the net as the mid point of all ball paths but its is rarely the case.

borg number one
12-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Practice lots of drop shots, and then become so comfortable with it that you learn to aim for just over the net. Hitting drop shots just over the net makes those shots very difficult to return.

After a while, I think it's also useful to learn to hit the dropshot with pace and very short, as opposed to just the slow drop shot.

Cindysphinx
12-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Cup the ball, or use a lot of back spin?

I think we need a ruling . . .

USERNAME
12-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Cup the ball, or use a lot of back spin?

I think we need a ruling . . .

Cup the ball.

fruitytennis1
12-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Cup the ball.

Ditto. Theres supposed to be a small bit of backspin on the ball. Swing makes inconsistant droppers and unless you do it really well your going to hit the ball harder= bad for a dropper.

Power Player
12-18-2009, 08:39 PM
I never expect to win a point with a drop. I expect to get the opponent to have to rush in and send back a weak return which I can then hit for a winner.

USERNAME
12-18-2009, 11:39 PM
I never expect to win a point with a drop. I expect to get the opponent to have to rush in and send back a weak return which I can then hit for a winner.

Which is why I always follow a good dropper into net!

Mick
12-20-2009, 01:47 PM
some years ago a lost a set to a guy who would hit mostly dropshots. he must have been doing it for a long time because his dropshots were deadly.

then i figured out how to counter his dropshots: by hitting moonballs. he could dropshot very well when the ball was at waist level but when the ball was 10 feet above his head, he could not do it and he could not hit an overhead very well.

he lost the 2nd and 3rd set.

all is fair in love and war and tennis :)

fuzz nation
12-21-2009, 06:40 AM
some years ago a lost a set to a guy who would hit mostly dropshots. he must have been doing it for a long time because his dropshots were deadly.

then i figured out how to counter his dropshots: by hitting moonballs. he could dropshot very well when the ball was at waist level but when the ball was 10 feet above his head, he could not do it and he could not hit an overhead very well.

he lost the 2nd and 3rd set.

all is fair in love and war and tennis :)

Groovy!!!

...10 chars...