PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 Resolution Thread

SlapShot
12-18-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm going to beat Cindy to the punch on this one.

The goal here is to have your goals be SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely). Corporate world has their claws in this one. :)

SlapShot's 2010 Goals:

1. Attain an 80% win percentage at 4.0
2. Attain 50% win percentage at 4.5
3. Win at least 1 4.0 singles tournament
4. Stay injury free (crossing my fingers for this one)

OrangePower
12-18-2009, 10:33 AM

The goal here is to have your goals be SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely). Corporate world has their claws in this one. :)

SlapShot's 2010 Goals:

Those are good SMART goals.

My 2 cents re #1 and #2: If you can get a 50% win percentage at 4.5 you should be way over 80% at 4.0. Because that would make you a mid-level 4.5, in which case you should be 90%+ at 4.0. Conversely if you don't attain #1 your chance of attaining #2 is extremely slim.

Case in (counter) point - my own results from last year singles: At 4.0 I was 15-2 (88%). But despite being dominant at 4.0, at 4.5 I could manage only 1-5.

Anyway: OrangePower's 2010 goals (as cribbed from SlapShot :) )

1. Attain 33% win percentage at 4.5
2. Avoid being bumped back down to 4.0 (somewhat related to #1)
3. Maintain 2009 fitness level / weight (I dropped 30 lbs from '08 to '09 seasons)
4. Stay injury free

SlapShot
12-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Those are good SMART goals.

My 2 cents re #1 and #2: If you can get a 50% win percentage at 4.5 you should be way over 80% at 4.0. Because that would make you a mid-level 4.5, in which case you should be 90%+ at 4.0. Conversely if you don't attain #1 your chance of attaining #2 is extremely slim.

Case in (counter) point - my own results from last year singles: At 4.0 I was 15-2 (88%). But despite being dominant at 4.0, at 4.5 I could manage only 1-5.

Anyway: OrangePower's 2010 goals (as cribbed from SlapShot :) )

1. Attain 33% win percentage at 4.5
2. Avoid being bumped back down to 4.0 (somewhat related to #1)
3. Maintain 2009 fitness level / weight (I dropped 30 lbs from '08 to '09 seasons)
4. Stay injury free

I tend to play at #1D or #1S at 4.0, and #3D at 4.5, so I do run into a lot of people who are in the same area I'm at (which is either a strong 4.0 doubles player or a weak 4.5 doubles player, depending on the day) - there have only been a couple of matches at 4.0 in the last 3-4 seasons where I've been truly handled - if anything, I've been on the giving end many more times than I've been on the receiving end.

My singles lags at least half a level behind my doubles, which is why I am going to play as many singles tourneys as I can this coming year to get that up to snuff. I've only played a handful of 4.0 singles matches in the last year, with decent results, leaving my singles game feeling neglected.

The problem is (and this relates back to #4), I am battling some serious shin splints right now, and I'm going to need a serious rest for a while while they clear up.

Kostas
12-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Since I just got bumped to 3.5 I will scale back my expectations a bit for 2010.

My SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely) Goals will be:
At least 60% win percentage througout the year (including mixed and combo).

Captain a team that goes to State at least once.

Make it to the semis of a 3.5 singles tournament.

Lose 20 lbs by the end of spring.

My SMART (specific, meaningful, anecdotal, rewarding and timely) are:

Develop my first serve into more of a weapon.

Turn my reclusive 4.5 1hbh monster shot into an ever-present 3.5/4.0 consistent weapon.

Work on my decision making and shot selection - especially in singles.

Improve my return of serve and backhand slice.

gflyer
12-18-2009, 01:02 PM
gflyer's 2010 goals:
1. Stay injury free
2.win >50% 4.5 level (if injury free)
3.gain 4-5lb, mainly muscles (see goal 1.)

As you can imagine from my list 2009 was a bummer for me in terms of injuries...and still is.
I went from a small tear of the triceps to achilles tendonitis to plantar fasciitis and now to celebrate the end of the year I got TE.

Ripper014
12-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Rippers 2010 goals...

1. Be nice to CindySphinx
2. Be nicer to CindySphinx
3. Be nicest to CindySphinx

arche3
12-18-2009, 01:59 PM
commit to my strokes and do not hesitate.

do not call out balls in to keep the rally going. and subsequently let them win the game. doh! i always play the just out balls. mainly because its not that serious and im usually winning but it comes back to bite me in the butt.

Ripper014
12-18-2009, 02:30 PM
commit to my strokes and do not hesitate.

do not call out balls in to keep the rally going. and subsequently let them win the game. doh! i always play the just out balls. mainly because its not that serious and im usually winning but it comes back to bite me in the butt.

I am known to do that too... but once you played an out ball, except it and move on... like you said it is not that serious. And even if it is... in the end it is just tennis... and after the first round of beers who cares.

Cindysphinx
12-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Rippers 2010 goals...

1. Be nice to CindySphinx
2. Be nicer to CindySphinx
3. Be nicest to CindySphinx

You guys are a hoot!

OK, here's my list:

1. Be crazy nice to Ripper.
2. Develop touch shots (drop volley and drop shot).
3. Develop service return variety.
4. Improve half volley and approach volleys, esp BH.
5. Get bumped to 4.0 in November.

Might not make this last goal, but that's OK. I still have one year to get there before I turn 50!

TonLars
12-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Good goals Slapshot!

I like this thread, Ill be thiking about this for a while before I complete whats below this line. Good to think about these things for sure, it could help.

1- Develop effective flat first serve, that I can swing out on and make 50% to the target. Currently I hit more of a slice/flat first serve that is only at 90-100mph probably. If I develop this alone I believe my game could shoot up a ways. I need to commit to taking the time to learning and practicing this.

2- Get more sleep by going to bed earlier

3- Eating a little better, including more fruits and vegetables, and eating a little bit more in general. Ive been 6'1" ish, 175 pounds with 6-7% body fat for maybe 7 or 8 years in a row now. I need more energy

4- Work out really hard with weights and sprints from now until April/May. I have the specific exercises planned out.

5- Do 15 minutes of stretching before bed on most days. I dont have good flexibility in the legs. I do have alot of speed and power so I honestly dont think its of critical importance, but ill try this and see if I get any benefit.

6- Beat anyone I lost to last year the next time

OrangePower
12-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Good goals Slapshot!

I like this thread, Ill be thiking about this for a while before I complete whats below this line. Good to think about these things for sure, it could help.

1- Develop effective flat first serve, that I can swing out on and make 50% to the target. Currently I hit more of a slice/flat first serve that is only at 90-100mph probably. If I develop this alone I believe my game could shoot up a ways. I need to commit to taking the time to learning and practicing this.

2- Get more sleep by going to bed earlier

3- Eating a little better, including more fruits and vegetables, and eating a little bit more in general. Ive been 6'1" ish, 175 pounds with 6-7% body fat for maybe 7 or 8 years in a row now. I need more energy

4- Work out really hard with weights and sprints from now until April/May. I have the specific exercises planned out.

5- Do 15 minutes of stretching before bed on most days. I dont have good flexibility in the legs. I do have alot of speed and power so I honestly dont think its of critical importance, but ill try this and see if I get any benefit.

6- Beat anyone I lost to last year the next time

Great list!

I would make it my own, but it would need a few small things added:

7- Make 10 million bucks more than I did last year

8- Date a few supermodels simultaneously

9- Take that trip to Mars that I've never had the time for

:)

GrandBanana
02-19-2010, 10:00 AM
1. Finally get my 4.0 rating I deserve, as apparently, I'll have to work hard to get it this year, since they were handing them out like candy last year and I didn't get mine.

2. Find a 4.0 league that will allow me to achieve (1.). Easier said than done.

3. Kick such major ***** in my 3.5 leagues that the USTA disqualifies me halfway through the season, when they realize that they made a mistake by not bumping me up to 4.0 like they did to everyone else I played with (since someone else at USTA HQ told me I "was close...very close" to being within appealable range of being bumped up,...probably have a rating of 3.44). This will allow me to achieve (1.).

4. Lose 10-20 pounds by giving the extra effort in attaining (1.), as, like I said, I have to work for it harder than the people I normally hit with and beat all the time. Doing so, will allow me to achieve (1.).

5. Sit back at the end of this year and send USTA even more memos about getting screwed once again when I see that I'm still a 3.5 for 2011...makes it all worthwhile, eh?

6. Find another sport.

SlapShot
02-19-2010, 10:07 AM
1. Finally get my 4.0 rating I deserve, as apparently, I'll have to work hard to get it this year, since they were handing them out like candy last year and I didn't get mine.

2. Find a 4.0 league that will allow me to achieve (1.). Easier said than done.

3. Kick such major ***** in my 3.5 leagues that the USTA disqualifies me halfway through the season, when they realize that they made a mistake by not bumping me up to 4.0 like they did to everyone else I played with (since someone else at USTA HQ told me I "was close...very close" to being within appealable range of being bumped up,...probably have a rating of 3.44). This will allow me to achieve (1.).

4. Lose 10-20 pounds by giving the extra effort in attaining (1.), as, like I said, I have to work for it harder than the people I normally hit with and beat all the time. Doing so, will allow me to achieve (1.).

5. Sit back at the end of this year and send USTA even more memos about getting screwed once again when I see that I'm still a 3.5 for 2011...makes it all worthwhile, eh?

6. Find another sport.

I was in your boat last year. Played only #1 dubs at 4.0, went something like 10-4, got my 4.0 bump.

It'll happen - just post the results and let the computer do the magic.

GrandBanana
02-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks, Slappy

Really ticked about this (considering I actually got a somewhat sympathetic email from USTA about the fact that I was close to cutoff). Hopefully, I'll get the bump-up...if not, this is my last year playing. Not playing 3.5 again NEXT year. Not going through this again...too aggravating.

robert
02-19-2010, 10:20 AM
My goal is
1. Get 60% win in 4.0 league
2. Get 95% win in 3.5 league
3. Get 2 3.5 singles tours titles, 2 3.5 doubles titles
4. Get bumped to 4.5 at the end of this year if achieving the above three goals.
5. If non of above achieved, get bumped to 3.0 at the end of the year. Bottomline is not to get bumped to 4.0 this year.

J_R_B
02-19-2010, 10:54 AM
My goal is:

1. Win Cryan Memorial B Singles Draw.

Everything else I am doing is subordinate to that goal.

sp00q
02-20-2010, 09:27 AM
1. Gain 5 pounds of muscle
2. Develop a consistent flat first serve (50%)
3. Develop a consistent kick second serve (90%)

T Woody
02-21-2010, 01:16 PM
T Woody's goals for 2010....

1. Win at least 4 of 6 flex leagues at 4.0
2. Play in 12 tournaments
3. 80% winning percentage in 4.0 tournament play
4. Win 3-5 tournaments at 4.0
5. Get bumped to 4.5 for 2011
6. Drop down to 10% bodyfat

Sumo
02-21-2010, 03:32 PM
1. Rehab recently torn rotator cuff
2. During the injury lay-off, get into real tennis shape and make my screen name less accurate.
3. Find people to play with in Chicago when I move back. Currently don't know a single player who would be above a 3.0.
4. Win another 4.0 tourney before end of the year.

JRstriker12
02-21-2010, 03:54 PM
I like to keep my resolutions to something I can stick to....

1. Play as much tennis as possible given my responsibilities and schedule.
2. Find a 4.0 team.
3. Play some 4.0 matches.
4. After graduation from grad school, drop some pounds and become fitter to help my game.

SlapShot
02-21-2010, 08:48 PM

SlapShot's 2010 Goals:

Alright - so far, I'm 2 for 4.

Currently 6-1 in 4.0. Went 2-4 at 4.5, so just shy of that goal. Haven't won a singles tourney yet, but I've only played one.

But, on a positive note, I'm actually as healthy as I've been in a long time - played 9 hours of tennis this weekend, and right now, apart from being tired, no issues to speak of. Knees seem healthy, shoulder and elbow are 110%, back is limber. That's the most important thing to me - as long as I can play, winning is secondary. :)

SlapShot
03-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Another update - finished my fall/winter league last night.

Finished 8-1 at 4.0. My last 2 matches were 6-2, 6-1 and 6-3, 6-0. I'm finally figuring this silly game out.

Playing in another singles tourney this weekend, and I'm hoping to carry my decent play into the weekend.

And my legs are healthy, I've actually been running 15-20 miles per week. :) Here's to a good summmer.

Colebob
03-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Great thread. 2009 and 2010 so far have been filled with injuries (knees and elbow) so I haven't played in 5 months.

Goals:

- Get to play
- Smile a lot
- Stay injury free
- all else is a bonus (but I do like the idea of trying to win something :-) )

Thanks!

spacediver
03-25-2010, 04:03 PM
develop sound service mechanics.

dizzlmcwizzl
03-25-2010, 04:11 PM
I would like to have a solid season at 4.0. Be bumped to 4.5 for about 15 minutes before appealing down to a level where I can be competitive.

dennis10is
03-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Let's see now for 2010.

1: Be able to play tennis.
2: No new injuries.
3: Get rid of chronic achilles tendonitis on left leg.
4: Find a way to do overhead serve without hurting back for 2 weeks afterwards.
5: Play and complete one set with me serving.

If I can achieve all 5, I"ll be a happy camper.

kiteboard
03-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Another update - finished my fall/winter league last night.

Finished 8-1 at 4.0. My last 2 matches were 6-2, 6-1 and 6-3, 6-0. I'm finally figuring this silly game out.

Playing in another singles tourney this weekend, and I'm hoping to carry my decent play into the weekend.

And my legs are healthy, I've actually been running 15-20 miles per week. :) Here's to a good summmer.

Another case of a 4.5 playing down, to win matches, at a lower level. How many of those have you seen in the draw?

SlapShot
03-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Another case of a 4.5 playing down, to win matches, at a lower level. How many of those have you seen in the draw?

My 4.5 results indicate that while I'm competitive at 4.5, I'm hardly a "4.5" player yet. Too many straight set losses to claim that yet.

The draw for this tourney was pretty light - breezed pretty easily through my first round, and had a tough 3 setter this morning to make the final, which I will play tomorrow as the guy I'm playing had to work this morning. He happens to be a good friend of mine, so I wanted to play tomorrow instead of take a default.

SlapShot
03-30-2010, 05:51 AM
Wrapped up the final last night - I officially have won a 4.0 singles tourney. :)

trebor
04-02-2010, 09:43 AM
1) Figure out the right tennis workout for me - one that gives me speed and endurance while not leaving me too sore to play well.

2) Learn to play further back. Hugging the baseline, as I have for years, takes away time I sometimes need to prepare for my shots.

3) Beat Ajay Rathi (ok this means nothing to you guys and gals, but it sure does to me).

4) Get more free and setup points with my serve by developing my slice serve and placing it better in the box. I need this because my serve speed is average at best.

5) Learn to stop forgetting to change my grip from forehand to continental on my forehand volley.

6) Be a lot more peaceful on the court, clearing my mind during play so that I can select better and smarter shots and process course corrections earlier and more effectively.

7) Related to 6, stop going for winners too soon.

8) Always, always be grateful to be on a tennis court ... which leads to not getting too upset with myself when I'm not playing well.

9) Figure out a way to give my lovely wife tips during our mixed doubles matches without her ripping my head off.

10) Move to Florida so that we can play year-round.