PDA

View Full Version : New racquet and string

BlueBolat
12-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Hello Everyone! I am currently using a Babolat PD GT. I purchased the racquet about 3 months ago and just bought another one this week. I found that when play with the racquet 3 months ago, my arms hurt then it went away after 2 weeks of playing. With the new racquet, same thing happened. I wonder if this is normal? Also, how long does it usually take to adjust to the racquet after it is restrung? I always find myself missing my strokes and play terrible every time the racquet is restrung. P.S. I believe my form is decent. Please helpppp...Thanks!

lawlitssoo1n
12-18-2009, 02:45 PM
why don't you upload a video on youtube and link it on here, so we can see your techniques

12-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Hello Everyone! I am currently using a Babolat PD GT. I purchased the racquet about 3 months ago and just bought another one this week. I found that when play with the racquet 3 months ago, my arms hurt then it went away after 2 weeks of playing. With the new racquet, same thing happened. I wonder if this is normal? Also, how long does it usually take to adjust to the racquet after it is restrung? I always find myself missing my strokes and play terrible every time the racquet is restrung. P.S. I believe my form is decent. Please helpppp...Thanks!

sounds like you are stringing way too tight for you and this string.
After a couple of weeks the strings will be much looser, and may not bother you as much.

BlueBolat
12-22-2009, 07:14 AM
why don't you upload a video on youtube and link it on here, so we can see your techniques

i don't have camera :(

BlueBolat
12-22-2009, 07:17 AM
sounds like you are stringing way too tight for you and this string.
After a couple of weeks the strings will be much looser, and may not bother you as much.

I used to string at 58lbs. and recently string at 57lbs, because i break the string on avg. every month and it is expensive to restring. I think that you are right, maybe i need to go back to 58lbs. I do notice that I feel more comfortable with the string after a few weeks.

Thanks for the comment!

skyzoo
12-22-2009, 07:40 AM
I used to string at 58lbs. and recently string at 57lbs, because i break the string on avg. every month and it is expensive to restring. I think that you are right, maybe i need to go back to 58lbs. I do notice that I feel more comfortable with the string after a few weeks.

Thanks for the comment!
string with what? luxilon? you arm should be fine if not.

BlueBolat
12-23-2009, 08:33 AM
string with what? luxilon? you arm should be fine if not.

I tried Luxilon (58lbs.), NXT (58 lbs.), Hybrid (Luxilon Main, NXT cross, 58lbs), and now i'm using Technifibre NG2 at 57lbs. I haven't found the string that is right for me so that's the reason why I switched to different strings everytime my racquet needs to be restrung. I look for more control over power. Apparently, softer strings tend to break faster and it is getting expensive to restring every month :(

LeeD
12-23-2009, 08:58 AM
If you string at 58, within one week your strings drop to easy 53. Then it stays more or less there until it breaks, or loses a hair tension each month.
Of course, if you play 6 hours a day every day, that week becomes one day.
If you play once a week, 2 hours, that week becomes a month.
Pretty hard for strings at 53 to stay in position with shots today.
Since Fed and Nadal use sub 50 tensions, they must always use new strings...duh....:shock::)

TennezSport
12-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Since Fed and Nadal use sub 50 tensions, they must always use new strings...duh....:shock::)

Rafa uses Babolat Duralast @ 24.9kg (55lbs) while Fed uses Wilson Champions Choice @ 23/21k (50.7/46.3lbs).

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

user92626
12-23-2009, 09:59 AM
I wonder if a tension in the low 50s would actually cause power loss for weekend players. I mean, you string with a low tension so that it gives you the potential of power, however, you must provide the power to take advantage of it, right?

LeeD
12-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I think, you string at low tension for power, and the low tension trampolines somewhat giving you MORE power.
Higher tensions are like wooden boards, they don't give you anything more than the pure impact of forward racket to incoming ball.
Spin is something entirely different. That's more dependent on swing plane, angle of racket, and swing speed, but some trampoline effect should add power with slower swings. With faster swings, trampoline leads to no control, so you don't get spin or speed.

Ripper014
12-23-2009, 02:28 PM
If you string at 58, within one week your strings drop to easy 53. Then it stays more or less there until it breaks, or loses a hair tension each month.
Of course, if you play 6 hours a day every day, that week becomes one day.
If you play once a week, 2 hours, that week becomes a month.
Pretty hard for strings at 53 to stay in position with shots today.

Actually the polys of today do a good job of staying in place, but they are quite stiff in general. I do find they do better in a hybrid setup, also with a poly you can string them a lot lower since they provide a rather stiff string bed.

Ripper014
12-23-2009, 02:39 PM
I think, you string at low tension for power, and the low tension trampolines somewhat giving you MORE power.
Higher tensions are like wooden boards, they don't give you anything more than the pure impact of forward racket to incoming ball.
Spin is something entirely different. That's more dependent on swing plane, angle of racket, and swing speed, but some trampoline effect should add power with slower swings. With faster swings, trampoline leads to no control, so you don't get spin or speed.

I pretty much agree with these statements...

When I was playing on a regular basis I had my PS 6.0 85 at 72 lbs... this was to give me some control. I felt I had enough power on demand it was about needing control... and having a stiff string bed let me hit the ball where I aimed it... with a looser string job I felt the ball was trampolining a little and spraying my shots. It does require you to center the ball better on your racket for consistent results.

I actually have a bit of a delemma now, since my return to tennis... I have been stringing my rackets at around 60 lbs. I string my own frames so my cost is not too bad... I have been testing some poly strings and found that I can string lower and still have a rather stiff string bed. The best solution for me currently is to put a mulitfilament in my mains and a poly in my crosses. The mulitfilament gives me great feel... and the poly stiffens my string bed... a nice setup for me.