PDA

View Full Version : USO: Long Island Warmup Cancelled

Marius_Hancu
04-21-2005, 08:16 AM
U.S. Open warmup event scrapped

Once known as the Hamlet Cup. The TD Waterhouse Cup had been scheduled for Aug. 20-28.
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-waterhousecup-canceled&prov=ap&type=lgns

Kevin Patrick
04-21-2005, 08:24 AM
This part was interesting:

``We're confident there will be another tournament that week,'' ATP spokesman Greg Sharko said Thursday. ``We're taking applications now.''

Fee
04-21-2005, 08:43 AM
That is intriguing. I have a vague memory of hearing that Atlanta (is that Stone Mountain?) is trying to get a Men's tournament again. I wonder if Philadelphia and Boston might also be on the short list. They both hosted men's events at one time, didn't they? Perhaps Datacipher or Rabbit can help answer that...

jaap deboeck
04-21-2005, 08:48 AM
First the WTA 5 years ago abandons MSG in its November round robin, then the Hamlet Cup. They even had a women's challenger that moved away to Schenectady 150 miles upstate. They tried a WTA event at the West Side Club (Forest Hills) that went bust too. The other men's challengers there attract 30 people at the old US Open site. They have kept one Challenger tucked away in the heart of the Bronx in August! Even NYC, the sports capital of the world and possibly the universe in all areas save soccer, is a tennis backwater save the Open in August. During the Open qualies, the NY subway does not even stop at the "National" tennis center! I get the feeling that the masterminds of internaitonal tennis are confused and have no means to grow the sport. If major US cities out of California and Florida get next to no pro tennis for 11 months+ how can the sprt survive here? Will it? No marketing, unavailable invisible players = RIP. Many in suburban NY can't even get the Tennis Channel. A "National Tennis Center" without even Challengers or pro tennis for 11+ months? Odd and stupid.

bigserving
04-21-2005, 09:22 AM
During the Open qualies, the NY subway does not even stop at the "National" tennis center!

Not sure where you got that nonsense, that is simply not true. The seven train stops at Shea all day every day.

I get the feeling that the masterminds of internaitonal tennis are confused and have no means to grow the sport.

I agree.

It seems as though the tennis establishment continues to put on happy faces about the state of the game of tennis when most reports seem to show that tennis popularity in the US is declining. Take Serena and Agassi out of the equation and it will be even worse. According to a newspaper article last month, the event at Indian Wells has been losing about $1 million in each of the last several years.

Andrew.
04-21-2005, 09:34 AM
New Haven is looking like that favorite to take it over right now. They've wanted to get the men back there for years, and they're running the women's tournament the same week. They have many unused courts there, and they have the money.

Craig Sheppard
04-21-2005, 09:41 AM
That is intriguing. I have a vague memory of hearing that Atlanta (is that Stone Mountain?) is trying to get a Men's tournament again. I wonder if Philadelphia and Boston might also be on the short list. They both hosted men's events at one time, didn't they? Perhaps Datacipher or Rabbit can help answer that...

Philly used to host the US Pro Indoor Championships, I believe it was played in the winter time. They used to use the old Spectrum... they have a wonderful new facility in the First Union Center, would be nice to see...

Hey I nominate Charlotte! (Raleigh would be nice but doubt that would hapen hehe...could play in the RBC center w/ the Hurricanes "used" to play) There aren't any men's tournaments down in this neck of the woods...

Marius_Hancu
04-21-2005, 09:43 AM
It seems as though the tennis establishment continues to put on happy faces about the state of the game of tennis when most reports seem to show that tennis popularity in the US is declining. Take Serena and Agassi out of the equation and it will be even worse. According to a newspaper article last month, the event at Indian Wells has been losing about $1 million in each of the last several years.

I'm afraid everything in the above might be true.

Just think about the hiatus betwen Roddick's generation and Donald Young's. That's 8 years with no homegrown stars. That's a huge time to cover with interest.

scoot
04-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Not sure where you got that nonsense, that is simply not true. The seven train stops at Shea all day every day.

I think the poster was referring to the Long Island Railroad which only stops at Shea on days when Mets have a game or during the USO but not during the USO qualies.

Marius_Hancu
05-09-2005, 05:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-usta-newtournament&prov=ap&type=lgns

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) -- The U.S. Tennis Association is buying the rights to the ATP hard-court tournament on Long Island, moving it to New Haven, Conn., and combining it with a WTA event the week before the U.S. Open.