PDA

View Full Version : wilson hollow core 16 sucks. EOM.

rogernext
12-18-2009, 10:51 AM
wilson hollow core 16 sucks. EOM.

Valjean
12-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Here, help us out; let us know where the playtesters went wrong or right: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2009/04/19_wilson_hollow_core_16.html.

"Sucks" isn't that descriptive (and helpful then).

Xtreme
01-03-2010, 01:01 PM
so i just tried hollow crap errrrr im sorry i meant hollow core:oops::) also and it is terrible. Strung in my 4d 300 tour at 61 and i got nothing out of it. Cut it out after the 2nd hit with it.

Richie Rich
01-03-2010, 01:09 PM
so i just tried hollow crap errrrr im sorry i meant hollow core:oops::) also and it is terrible. Strung in my 4d 300 tour at 61 and i got nothing out of it. Cut it out after the 2nd hit with it.

why though? was it mushy? stiff? no feel? what?

BreakPoint
01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
wilson hollow core 16 sucks. EOM.

I'd bet both of you normally use poly, right?

Hollow Core is at the opposite end of the spectrum from polys. That's why I love it! I hate polys. Hollow Core is soft and comfortable, like hitting with a pillow. It's everything that poly is not. It's filled with air so it's like Nike Max Air cushioning for your arm. :)

I look for strings that poly users hate. :)

JoelDali
01-03-2010, 01:27 PM
HollowCoreHate(tm) continues.

stanfordtennis alum
01-03-2010, 01:43 PM
i tried it a while back and wasnt impressed.. its a decent string but not for the $$

Trickster
01-03-2010, 03:16 PM
I am a regular poly user and LIKED this string.

It felt quite muted. Not really much in the way of spin or power, but lots of control. I strung it at 55lbs in my C10.

Nothing really wowed me, but it's an okay string.

DownTheLine
01-03-2010, 03:23 PM
I played with a kid a couple times who tried out Hollow core and said he didn't like it at all.

He normally played with Pro Hurricane(Blue) and something like sensation or Xcel in the crosses.

BreakPoint
01-03-2010, 05:28 PM
I played with a kid a couple times who tried out Hollow core and said he didn't like it at all.

He normally played with Pro Hurricane(Blue) and something like sensation or Xcel in the crosses.
Another case in point.

If you like the stiff feel and bite of poly, you'll likely find Hollow Core to feel like mashed potatoes. :shock:

Fedace
01-03-2010, 05:34 PM
I thought the control was terrible and feel was subpar for string of this type

hoodjem
01-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I'd bet both of you normally use poly, right?

Hollow Core is at the opposite end of the spectrum from polys. That's why I love it! Hollow Core is soft and comfortable, like hitting with a pillow.

How's the feel compared to Iso-Speed Pro or another soft multi?

DownTheLine
01-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Another case in point.

If you like the stiff feel and bite of poly, you'll likely find Hollow Core to feel like mashed potatoes. :shock:

Pro hurricane is a VERY SOFT poly.

meowmix
01-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I enjoyed the string when I had it in my racket. Wasn't exceptional, and for the price certainly a no-no, but I did like it. It was soft, very soft and extremely arm friendly (IMO, up there with natural gut in terms of softness, but that's just me). Not very much power though. A unique string- one that I can understand why a lot of people love it, and others hate it.

BreakPoint
01-03-2010, 06:13 PM
How's the feel compared to Iso-Speed Pro or another soft multi?
I haven't tried Iso-Speed Pro but I'd imagine it's similar from all I've read about it. But Hollow Core is definitely softer than Pro Supex Maxim Touch or Yonex Tour Super 850. I find that it pockets the ball very well. It's very arm-friendly and I prefer it over natural gut, especially at the lower price. :)

BreakPoint
01-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Pro hurricane is a VERY SOFT poly.
Many people would disagree. Even the USRSA ratings.

In any case, soft "for a poly" does not make it a soft string. Even "soft" polys are much stiffer than most multis and syn guts.

hoodjem
01-03-2010, 06:54 PM
I haven't tried Iso-Speed Pro but I'd imagine it's similar from all I've read about it. But Hollow Core is definitely softer than Pro Supex Maxim Touch or Yonex Pro Super 850. I find that it pockets the ball very well. It's very arm-friendly and I prefer it over natural gut, especially at the lower price.

Interesting:
Isospeed Professional 17 Polyolefin 1.25 151
Isospeed Professional 17 (Classic) Polyolefin 1.27 152
Pro Supex Maxim Touch 1.25 Nylon 1.25 153
Pro Supex Maxim Touch 1.30 Nylon 1.29 190
Pro Supex Maxim Touch 1.35 Nylon 1.34 192

Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro 16 Nylon 1.34 196

SteveI
01-03-2010, 07:09 PM
I enjoyed the string when I had it in my racket. Wasn't exceptional, and for the price certainly a no-no, but I did like it. It was soft, very soft and extremely arm friendly (IMO, up there with natural gut in terms of softness, but that's just me). Not very much power though. A unique string- one that I can understand why a lot of people love it, and others hate it.

Hey MM,

I liked the HC. It played like Nat Gut with out the extra power. Super nice on the arm.. great control. Much like IsoSpeed Professional. I would not jump on the string due to the price.. but I got one set from Wilson and another set from a TW user. I was hybriding the HC with OG 17 and it was very sweet. I am unsure of the current price.. If HC was about $7.00 a set .. it would be a winner in my book. As BP stated...a poly user is not going to be a fan of this stuff. Again... using the word sucks to describe a product is stupid and a waste of space on this site. Tell me why you think it sucks.. and then we have something to talk about.

BTW.. this thread sucks!! J/K..

Jonny S&V
01-03-2010, 07:14 PM
As a S&Ver who enjoys full syngut/gut but needs as much control as possible due to his erratic groundstrokes so he plays with full poly, I had high hopes for HC to give me the best of both worlds. In the end, I figured out that it actually had the worst of both worlds. Not only did it not have the feel of syngut/gut, it also didn't have the control nor spin capabilities of a poly string. On top of it being a pain in the butt to string (on the crosses particularly), and the price being outrageous IMO, I wouldn't suggest this string...

Richie Rich
01-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Many people would disagree. Even the USRSA ratings.

In any case, soft "for a poly" does not make it a soft string. Even "soft" polys are much stiffer than most multis and syn guts.

that is very true. but looks like for this generation of young tennis players "soft" means soft poly, not the mush we learned to play with :lol:

BreakPoint
01-03-2010, 07:33 PM
I liked the HC. It played like Nat Gut with out the extra power. Super nice on the arm.. great control. .
Totally agree. IMO, Hollow Core is what natural gut should play like. The fact that it's much cheaper and easier to string are added bonuses. :)

purple-n-gold
01-03-2010, 07:35 PM
I thought that the Isospeed strings were much spin friendlier than the Hollowcore, although HC probably gets the the nod on durability...just needs to be priced a few bucks less.

zapvor
05-11-2010, 05:30 PM
i found a set of hollow core today in my bag. popped it into a tfight 315. will take it out later this week and see :)

Chace
05-11-2010, 07:36 PM
I found the string to be very arm friendly and also had good ball pocketing. However it was not very durable, I only got about 4 hours of play out of it before the strings broke.

Chezbeeno
05-12-2010, 06:11 AM
When I bought my BLX frames new they came strung with Hollow Core Pro, this string is extremely dead, on top of the fact that the racquet is muted feeling anyway, BLX+HCP=hitting with a wet 2x4, but I cut it out and now have my sticks strung with Luxilon and a couple of experimental strings in the crosses, now the BLX's feel AWESOME

zapvor
05-12-2010, 07:01 AM
i thought the hc in my demo blx was ok. soft feel which i prefer

Loco4Tennis
05-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Another case in point.

this descrives it for me, good description "BreakPoint"
the price was not right!! too expensive
also, it was hard to string since it was so tacky, weaving was a nightmare to me, too sticky

on a side note,, did anyone hear broken glass when you hit with it???? :-) almost as if the plastic triangle inside the string was breaking at eevery hit :-)

10s99
06-28-2010, 08:09 PM
I disagree with the original post. I think Wilson Hollow Core is a good multi giving nice control and a lively feel. It didn't last long in my tests but that's normal for a multi of this type. I'd put it up there with the good multi's for non-string breakers. You can't really compare a multi with a polly. . . they're pretty opposite.

AR15
06-29-2010, 06:02 AM
I did not like Hollow Core for several reasons:

1. for the price, I thought it was a very poor value.
2. I like soft string, but I expect to get some appreciable "pop" or power from soft strings, that HC just didn't give me.
3. Durability was horrible. It starts fraying very quickly and breaks too soon.

SteveI
05-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Totally agree. IMO, Hollow Core is what natural gut should play like. The fact that it's much cheaper and easier to string are added bonuses. :)
BP,

I just picked up two reels for $100.00. Drop me mail if you are interested..in obtaining some.

I loved the stuff... now it seems to be a fire sale. Two reel should last be until I retire from tennis... :-)

Steve

alidisperanza
05-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Monsterzombie thread but I, too picked up some of this but cheaper than 100/reel :) For that price, it's grrrreat! Otherwise, a touch too plasticky for me. It also tends to stick to the mains a la multi

volleynets
05-04-2012, 08:01 PM
When I bought my BLX frames new they came strung with Hollow Core Pro, this string is extremely dead, on top of the fact that the racquet is muted feeling anyway, BLX+HCP=hitting with a wet 2x4, but I cut it out and now have my sticks strung with Luxilon and a couple of experimental strings in the crosses, now the BLX's feel AWESOME

I bought my BLX 90 a week after it was released and it came strung with Hollow Core Pro. I thought the racquet was a fake and was about to contact the person I purchased it from. I realized it was a muted and dead feeling string combined with a muted racquet causing this. Cut it out and put in full Lux ALU and the racquet was unbelievable.

Maybe Hollow Core is good in stiff racquets but wow did it feel like crap in the 90.

mikeler
05-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Monsterzombie thread but I, too picked up some of this but cheaper than 100/reel :) For that price, it's grrrreat! Otherwise, a touch too plasticky for me. It also tends to stick to the mains a la multi

Try some Mantis Comfort crosses. It will move all over the place after the first hit and then you'll realize that the whole strings sliding thing is not what produces spin. (Hint: It is 95% "low to high") :)

fortun8son
05-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Hollow core sounds like bubble wrap popping when you clamp it or pull tension.

scotus
05-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Try some Mantis Comfort crosses. It will move all over the place after the first hit and then you'll realize that the whole strings sliding thing is not what produces spin. (Hint: It is 95% "low to high") :)

Well, for enhanced spin, the string not only needs a low coefficient of friction between the strings to facilitate sliding but also needs the stiffness and whatever else to make it snap back.

The low coefficient of friction that does not result in snap-back would not enhance spin.

Of course, my attitude is that this whole snap-back thing is only a theory, and not a very strong one at that.

SteveI
05-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Well, for enhanced spin, the string not only needs a low coefficient of friction between the strings to facilitate sliding but also needs the stiffness and whatever else to make it snap back.

The low coefficient of friction that does not result in snap-back would not enhance spin.

Of course, my attitude is that this whole snap-back thing is only a theory, and not a very strong one at that.

I do am not 100 % sold on the snap-back thing either. Spin production seems to more about player and frame. I picked up an older Dunlop a few weeks ago with an old set of Wilson Sensation installed (been using it to feed balls). I was asked to be forth for doubles and only had that frame with me. Produced great spin with that frame also... so who knows..:-)

alidisperanza
05-05-2012, 06:03 AM
By stick, I meant literally-- it's very difficult to shift back into neat "rows." I played this as a full bed and while it was a bit plasticky, it wasn't terrible. Once I set this as a hybrid-- eek