PDA

View Full Version : I took the plunge!

verbouge
12-18-2009, 11:13 AM
I strung my first racket last night at the local club. The owner HATES stringing, so he's more than glad to let me learn on his Gamma 6500 ELS. A couple of impressions.

As I suspected, I thoroughly enjoyed the process; even the frustration of the learning curve. Of course, a few thousand string jobs later and I may be singing a different tune. But I don't think so. I imagine quietly stringing rackets in the living room while my wife is knitting and my little boy is running around being crazy.

I realized the benefit of a constant pull machine in my short experience with the Gamma, and now am more interested in something that is constant pull rather than something that is not. Not sure if that is of significant importance, but in the interest of excellence, my hunch is that it does make a difference. I'm wondering if one of the Stringway or Laserfibre drop weights would be a good way to go in order to get this kind of accuracy without having to sell my first born. Or maybe the Gamma X-es. Are Mutual Power machines true constant pull, and do you get what you par for with them or are they a great deal? Any thoughts from any of you?

Third thing, I can't thank Yulitle enough for all he's done for us schmoes out here in tennis-fanatic-land, for seemingly nothing in return. He comes across as friendly and matter of fact, and never snobbish or condescending. The little details that would take painful experience to learn are freely given out. Tennis has a country club reputation partly because it's nearly impossible to obtain expertise from another free of charge. I hate this about tennis, so I freely volunteer my own time to local juniors as much as possible just for the satisfaction of watching them learn faster than I thought they ever could. Thank you, Mike.

One last thing: any tips on the specific technique for weaving the crosses quickly? Does it just take lots of string jobs, or is there subtlety to it that can be described but not easily seen? That was the most challenging thing for me last night.

Thanks again,
Dave

goran_ace
12-18-2009, 11:24 AM
there's no special technique for weaving crosses quickly - it just takes some practice.

YULitle
12-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Practice is the big help. Just keep doing it, you'll get faster. There are a few tips that I talk about in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0FPGEBcBHo

jim e
12-18-2009, 12:12 PM
One last thing: any tips on the specific technique for weaving the crosses quickly? Does it just take lots of string jobs, or is there subtlety to it that can be described but not easily seen? That was the most challenging thing for me last night.

Thanks again,
Dave

Many beginner stringers end up checking, and rechecking their weaves for misweaves. One thing you can do with that is to remember if you go under your 1st main with your cross string, you will be going over the last. The reverse is also true, so that way you really do not need to keep checking the crosses for misweaves, as that makes it easier as well. as it would be very rare to have 2 misweaves in one row.I normally start with going under with the first main so going over the last you have a easy shot with going to the grommet hole. This should help with some of the time span spent on stringing. Also weaving one ahead helps as well.The remainder just takes practice and you will pick up speed and enjoy it even more. Good luck! Jim

Steve Huff
12-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Just what Jim said, except on that last cross. If it's a typical 6, skip 1, 7 skip one pattern, the last cross will be different. And yes, Yulitle has been a great addition to these boards.

MayDay
12-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Was just watching YULitle videos, and saw the one with "hard weave". If I'm doing 1 piece string job and is weaving one ahead, is the hard weave just the last cross? (or is it both outermost mains and outermost crosses?) I'm quite confused on when to double pull.

YULitle
12-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Was just watching YULitle videos, and saw the one with "hard weave". If I'm doing 1 piece string job and is weaving one ahead, is the hard weave just the last cross? (or is it both outermost mains and outermost crosses?) I'm quite confused on when to double pull.

You shouldn't have a hard weave in that case. A hard weave is just a weave that isn't easy to weave. :lol: Seriously. There isn't a ONE hard weave. There are gradations between easy and hard.

The only time I'm certain that there is a hard weave worth double pulling on is on some around the world methods. Let's say that you have the bottom cross in and are putting the rest in from the head down. When you get to the last cross to weave, THAT'S a hard weave. You're working against a lot of problems to weave that last cross. I pull that one twice.

MayDay
12-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Aaahhhh! Thank you for the clarification and the great videos.