PDA

View Full Version : pure drive Roddick best strings

xsmasher
12-18-2009, 11:18 AM
I have bought a pure drive roddick since two weeks and i had notice two disadvantage playing with it,first, it is to stiff and painful on the elbow,second, it lack accuracy and control despite it is powerful...the question is how i can fix these problems by changing the string type and tension.am using the default string(xcel 16, i dont at what tension it is)

wrxtotoro
12-18-2009, 11:22 AM
2 Choice:
(1) Change to Natural Gut and continue to whack the ball.
(2) Use a poly at much lower tension and hit with a lot of topspin.

P.S. My elbow actually feels much better after I add some lead to 3/9 and the handle.

TennezSport
12-18-2009, 11:37 AM
it is to stiff and painful on the elbow, second it lack accuracy and control despite it is powerful...the question is how i can fix these problems by changing the string type and tension.am using the default string(xcel 16, i dont at what tension it is)

This is a stiff racquet designed for players with a big complete swing. You say you are using Xcel16, which is a very soft multi but the tension is the key here. If it's strung too high it will feel very boardy and be hard on your arm. The other issue is your level of play and how well you meet the ball in the center of the racquet.

Find out what tension the racquet is strung at from wherever you bought it from and drop the tension accordingly. By all means stay away from any poly string until you know what your arm can handle. Good luck.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Orion
12-18-2009, 07:45 PM
The PDR is a capable frame. String it up with a full bed of Pro Hurricane Tour @ 56. The combo of the PDR and PHT generates so much spin. If you have big complete swings as TennezSport said you will find your shots getting deeper court penetration. One drawback is that while generating incredible topspin, the balls are not heavy. I was never bold enough to add lead to it when I played with it... but I suspect the inability to generate a heavy ball is due to it's swingweight needing to be increased.

Dreamcastin
12-19-2009, 12:51 AM
choice 1. spend money on natural gut. choice 2, say goodbye to the racquet and get one thats not so damn stiff. my buddy plays with that racquet with a poly/gut hybrid. i took two hits with it and felt like my arm was going to fall off. i use the same string combination in my k90 strung tighter and that doesnt bother my arm at all. I played with a N95 18x20 before the k90 and developed a bad case of TE, I really wish i had ditched it sooner and got the k90 to save my arm. Do yourself a favor and learn from my mistakes.

dantesinferno18
12-19-2009, 06:22 AM
for me I got amazing control when i strung a syn gut poly hybrid at 62 LBS but my arm paid the price

Cfidave
12-19-2009, 06:35 AM
One of the softest polys on the market, and a good match for the PDR, is Babolat Pro Hurricane 18ga. Not Babolat Pro Hurricane TOUR, that is far stiffer. Using Pro Hurricane 18ga as a hybrid with something like Gosen OG in the crosses makes for a nice stringbed in the PDR.

KenC
12-19-2009, 10:11 AM
You already have one of the softest strings on the racquet, maybe they are just too tight. I would go down to 55lbs on the next stringjob. I would also suggest using the 17g next time.

I use a PDGT which is just about as stiff. The only time I feel something in my elbow is when I don't hit the ball right with my 1HBH, or I don't transfer my weight properly and end up using all arm. Its a great idea to warm up the serve before going all out.

The other thing is that your muscles will need an adjustment period, mine did. The first couple of weeks my forearm hurt a bit. Also, these racquets can be played differently that the old school type. I find that I really don't have to muscle the ball at all to generate a lot of pace as long as I transfer my weight efficiently. This makes for very comfortable play during long matches.

As for your control issues, these are power oriented racquets. Power and control are pretty much mutually exclusive. Large heads, 16X19 string patterns, stiff; these racquets are made for punishing players from the baseline and hitting booming serves. Hitting gentle drop shots and touchy volleys at the net are not it's fortè. That being said, with a bit of extra work I was able to start dialing in my shots better than at the beginning.