PDA

View Full Version : Tricks to Hitting on the Rise?

Roy125
12-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Hitting on the rise was not as easy as I thought. So far, I have just managed to do kind of a block thing on high topspin balls. My coach says that the key is to concentrate on the ball, but it still doesn't help me much?

Help me by providing drills/tricks to practice hitting on the rise? I just frame most shots when I attempt to hit on the rise.

SuperDuy
12-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Yeah, what you want to do is practice hitting ball up very very high then after it bounces hit it straight away :)

Roy125
12-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Yeah, what you want to do is practice hitting ball up very very high then after it bounces hit it straight away :)

But that leads to a lot of framing though.:-?

lidoazndiabloboi
12-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Make sure you keep your eyes on the ball, dont hesitate on your swing. If you hesitate, your swing will slow down, resulting in framing. So be sure to swing full speed into the shot.

AlpineCadet
12-18-2009, 10:28 PM
You should email momentumgt, he has really good on-the-rise shots.

aphex
12-19-2009, 06:11 AM
yes, good thread---i'm very interested too...

LeeD
12-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Turn shoulders and shorten backswing.
Move feet to position yourself in your ideal strikezone, depending on your grip and preferences.
Stroke thru the ball with confidence. Don't flinch, backoff, lean back, or tilt your body back.
You can swing slower as the upward bouncing ball imparts more energy than a downward moving ball.
Practice. Have you partner hit you deep balls that land right near the baseline, you standing in and finding your ideal strikezone.

Andres
12-19-2009, 07:09 AM
The simplest advice I can give you, and in a lot of cases gets underestimated is:

Watch the freaking ball. At all times.

May sound dumb, may sound obvious, but it's the most important thing in tennis, and we all find ourselves looking at the court, the racquet, the ground, the lines, whatever.

No.

Watch the ball. Keep your eyes on the ball.

And if we get technical, well, of course you'll need a certain depth, and naturally, anticipation skills.

Blake0
12-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Watch the ball, shorter more compact swing, early preperation, early ball recognization, good timing, good footwork, and get your weight into the ball are key parts for hitting on the rise.

Watching the ball should be obvious why. Shorter more compact swing is to keep your backswing shorter, that's why agassi was a great on the rise hitter. Early preparation and good footwork go hand in hand, you need to be able to see where the ball is going and get to the ball as soon as possible you you have more time to set up. Good timing is to make sure you hit the ball in front of you. Get your weight into the ball by closing off your stance more, preferably a neutral stance, because it's easier to hit on the rise when your weight is moving into the ball.

As you get better hitting on the rise you could change a couple of these a bit when the situation allows..you caan make your stroke a bit longer, and you can hit more open stanced forehands on the rise.

shwetty[tennis]balls
12-19-2009, 10:18 AM
A great practice exercise for this (which is what Agassi would do during much of his matchplay) is to step into the baseline about 4-6 inches so that most of the shots that you hit will be on the rise shots. Just ask your opponent to aim the balls fairly deep so that you can practice them. If your opponent could add a little top spin too, that would also help. This will help you to adjust your swing and timing in those crunch situations. What is also nice about hitting on the rise is it redirects the momentum of your opponent's shot back to your opponent after you hit it on the rise. This is why Agassi was such an amazing groundie player. Remember to keep that head down and shorten your backswing. Any time your timing is compromised (by either hitting on the rise or during windy conditions, etc.) be sure to shorten your backswing for control. By the way, keep those knees bent so that you can see the ball better and react better to it. A lot of sloppy players will hit this shot standing practically erect and will never hit it well.

Bud
12-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Hitting on the rise was not as easy as I thought. So far, I have just managed to do kind of a block thing on high topspin balls. My coach says that the key is to concentrate on the ball, but it still doesn't help me much?

Help me by providing drills/tricks to practice hitting on the rise? I just frame most shots when I attempt to hit on the rise.

It's not easy at all... it just requires lots of practice... and an aggressive mindset.

fuzz nation
12-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Our friend BlakeO already pointed out the issue of early preparation and I think that it's essential to quickly recognize the opportunity to take an incoming ball on the rise so that you can move to it as soon as possible. Instead of setting up somewhere behind a typical incoming ball, you need to move almost right on top of the spot where the ball is going to bounce so that you can catch it as it's popping up off the court. Your swing must be set up earlier than usual and you also can't delay moving to get yourself in position or it simply won't happen.

Your forward swing needs to be starting before the ball bounces on the court because you're looking to hit it right after that bounce, almost like a half-volley, but with an actual stroke. When I hit the ball on the rise, it feels like I'm using a swing path that would normally drive the ball into the top of the net. The thing is that the ball is already rising off the court and you don't need much additional low-to-high lift to get it over the net. You might want to experiment with a slightly more closed racquet face, too.

This style of hitting can make trouble for lots of opponents, but two types where it can be great to have this shot against are moonballers and pushers. Even if the ball isn't coming with much pace, you might find that you can be more aggressive and control the ball if you can hit it on the rise than you can if you wait for it to top out and turn into a marshmallow. Those can be easy to spray too often unless you throttle down a bit.

Bagumbawalla
12-19-2009, 01:47 PM
As others have mentioned, there is really no "trick" to it. Basically, you hit the ball and stroke through it pretty much as you would normally- you just have to get set up much sooner, be in position and get the timing down. In hitting the ball, you have to be confident and smooth watching the ball intently and anticipating its bounce.

Many people not only do not hiton the rise, but they do not hit at the top of the bonce, either. They wait for the ball to rise, then fall back down into their comfort zone- so not only do they loose time, but end up hitting farther back behind the baseline.

I would suggest as a first step-- just try to catch the ball at the top of the bounce (obviously you will need to find someone who can keep the balls low in your strike zone to practice with). As you become adept with those, start hitting them sooner, then, presto, you will be taking them on the rise.

Kick_It
12-19-2009, 05:22 PM
It really boils down to timing and lots of practice; _early_ preparation and footwork.

Simple to write and say, harder to do, you've just got to bite the bullet and practice it lots.

There is no magical silver-bullet of wisdom you'll read on the internet that is a substitute for putting in the requisite time and practice.

Good Luck! K_I

Bungalo Bill
12-19-2009, 05:55 PM

Roy, make sure you are using a cadence to help you with your timing such as HIT-BOUNCE-HIT.

Keep those knees bent.

Roy125
12-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm practicing hitting on the rise now and it only results in half-volleys but I'm sure they'll be more direct with more time on it.

I'm just tossing the ball up high then hitting it on the rise. This is a good way to practice it right?

Blake0
12-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm practicing hitting on the rise now and it only results in half-volleys but I'm sure they'll be more direct with more time on it.

I'm just tossing the ball up high then hitting it on the rise. This is a good way to practice it right?

I guess you could start that way, but it's much more effective to use a ball machine or let someone feed you balls.

Bungalo Bill
12-19-2009, 09:15 PM

I would not recommend practicing hitting on the rise by tossing the ball up and then hitting it as it rises up from the bounce.

Hitting on the rise needs to be practiced with a ball coming towards you. It needs to have some spin on it (like topspin) and then ball difficulty needs to pick up as you get better.

You need to work on your timing with your footwork and your swing. Preparation is also important hitting on the rise and court positioning.

shwetty[tennis]balls
12-19-2009, 09:24 PM

NO! You either need a partner to feed you balls or a ball machine! period!

Roy125
12-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Well there goes my plan then. I guess there isn't much I can do by myself and a wall.:(

salsainglesa
12-20-2009, 10:25 AM
no no
the wall is your friend...

you can feed yourself any kind of ball you are having trouble with, specially the soft floaters or balls on the rise!!!
Experiment, i use the wall whenever my timing is off on the rising ball... just dont be lazy, and move to the ball!!
dont hit to the wall over and over and over...
feed yourself the ball you want to work with, hit it with proper technique, and then grab the ball, and feed it again to yourself...
its like if someone else sends you those balls...

in the case of hiting on the rise, the ball has force going upward, if you hit it with the raquet face perpendicular to the ground the ball will rise to the same height it would have rised if you didnt hit it... so you have to close the raquetface and feel the angle the ball leaves your raquet. also, its good to differentiate between balls below net level, and above net level, when hitting on the rise, the balls above this level dont need to have a loopy trajectory up, they will pass the net if the trajectory is almost level to the ground, there is no need to hit up, but FORWARD and let gravity do the work, and since you are hitting forward, there will be top spin on the ball since you will be hitting from above and with top spin relative to the flying path of the ball...

Roy125
12-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for such an amazing post.

salsainglesa
12-20-2009, 10:46 AM
I made an image

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8016/hitinontherise.png

Bagumbawalla
12-20-2009, 12:21 PM
The wall is actually very good, if you can learn to control the ball enough so you can get a regular rhythm going. There are at least a couple ways so start out.

1, If you are just starting and want to get the feel of taking the ballon the rise with minimum stress, stand back behind the basline, just a bit, hit 5 or 6 feet over the net line, wait for the second bounce- start by hitting at the top of the bounce, gradually take it earlier.

2, Get a ball about a week ot two old, so it is not overly bouncy, start from just behind the service line. Hit the ball about 2 feet over the netline, or less, and (as above) start hitting at the top of the bounce- as you gain timing, step forward just a bit and catch it on the rise.

Note: because you are taking the ball sooner and therefore must get into position sooner/faster, you may want to simplify/shorten your stroke somewhat- however it should still be basically your normal stroke- smooth, without hitches.

Roy125
12-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Ok so I tried to stand closer to the baseline today to practice hitting on the rise on high topspin balls. Most of my attempts ended in framing the balls 90% of the time. Sometimes when I am able to hit clean contact, I hit sharp angles that go out...

paulfreda
12-20-2009, 07:08 PM
I have 2 questions about technique for those who feel they own this shot.

First ..............
Do you feel you hold the face closed hitting thru the ball ?
OR
Do you close it as you go thru the ball .... i.e. you "come over the ball" ?
OR
Do you do something else ?

2nd ..............
Do you like to take the ball at knee height,
OR at waist height
OR between the knees and waist ?

Why do you feel this is the best height to take it ?

Thanks

Mansewerz
12-20-2009, 07:13 PM
The simplest advice I can give you, and in a lot of cases gets underestimated is:

Watch the freaking ball. At all times.

May sound dumb, may sound obvious, but it's the most important thing in tennis, and we all find ourselves looking at the court, the racquet, the ground, the lines, whatever.

No.

Watch the ball. Keep your eyes on the ball.

And if we get technical, well, of course you'll need a certain depth, and naturally, anticipation skills.

Agree with this. And just step in and hit the damn thing. Don't think about framing, don't think about how much topspin, don't think!!! Just do!

I know, very simplistic (not gonna lie, I frame often when hitting off the rise), but my best backhands have been when not thinking. I think I do this better off my backhand side (surprise surprise: shortened backswing thanks to the 2hander!)

In D Zone
12-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Try this drills:

- use FH open stance
- always be ready to move forward and to the ball
- keep racquet up front and facing vertical
- track the ball with your eye ; while feet , shoulder and hip are moving towards. This must all function as one unit.
- be ready to make contact with the ball up front (do not to go a back swing; but rather go for a short compact swing). Don't worry as you get more comfortable, racquet speed will take care of the pace.
- do not worry about seeing /knowing where is your opponent (focus just on the ball)
- head still / eye fixed at the ball as you make ball contact
- make sure you complete your follow thru with your swing. Using topspin shot (low to high).

Start with a mini tennis drill with your partner - do it nice and slow. Goal is to get comfortable with the entire movement and technique. Then gradually stepping back each shot until you reach the baseline. Do not go for winners but focus on hitting the ball on the rise with each shot. Yes, it requires discipline from both partners; best to get a partner who is better than you inorder to maintain a good rally (not with someone who is just going to hit each shot all over the court).

Best to rally crosscourt (deuce to deuce) side; its similar drill used to table tennis.

martini1
12-20-2009, 07:24 PM
My 2 cents would be
- Start with slow feed off a friend or machine.
- You don't need a huge back swing, for now (half volley).
- Once you are good with the half volley you can take it with a little bit more pace and with bigger swings.

Don't expect u can do it like a pro. It will take years if you can reach that 5.0+ at all.

Roy125
12-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Agree with this. And just step in and hit the damn thing. Don't think about framing, don't think about how much topspin, don't think!!! Just do!

I know, very simplistic (not gonna lie, I frame often when hitting off the rise), but my best backhands have been when not thinking. I think I do this better off my backhand side (surprise surprise: shortened backswing thanks to the 2hander!)

I think that my biggest problem with the technique is anticipating too much. It's like the ball rises up and I'm afraid of it.:shock: Especially on my 1 handed backhand side.

salsainglesa
12-20-2009, 07:47 PM
it seems to me that you are swinging your raquet low to high as in your previous swing, the thing is that tohit on the rise, its easier to swing forward, without taking the raquet head down.
The swing should be across your body, and the raquet head changes subtlety in height, but not very much... mostly it stays in the same level you are hiting the ball...
its a different stroke altogether, you have to takeyour time to learn it...
after you have learned it, you must learn one more thing, when to use the forward/across swing, and when to use the upwards swing...

see you!

salsainglesa
12-20-2009, 07:56 PM
I have 2 questions about technique for those who feel they own this shot.

First ..............
Do you feel you hold the face closed hitting thru the ball ?
OR
Do you close it as you go thru the ball .... i.e. you "come over the ball" ?
OR
Do you do something else ?

2nd ..............
Do you like to take the ball at knee height,
OR at waist height
OR between the knees and waist ?

Why do you feel this is the best height to take it ?

Thanks

Taking into account that a ball coming up will be more dificult than a ball going down, i usually think that my raquet preparation should encourage the closed raquet face with wich i hit the rising ball forehand, because i have less time to prepare for it.
So to answear your question, i have the raquet head closed to begin with, and i wont focus much on the angle of the raquet, but into wich part of the ball i want to hit it, slightly above it.

Also, you can hit the rising ball at any height, from knee height on an emergency situation, like on a deep return of serve, or at head height maximizing your angles in middle court...

every ball is diferent...

A higher ball will have more force after bouncing on the ground, therefore you must close the raquet face more.

The more topspin, the more force after the bounce, same case....

salsainglesa
12-20-2009, 08:00 PM
this is the swing pad you want to develop....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBiY1dH_guI

Kaz00
12-20-2009, 08:03 PM
wouldnt it be eaiser to learn how to hit on the rise by hitting in a racquet ball court?? take the ball super on the rise!!

salsainglesa
12-20-2009, 08:19 PM
i couldnt agree more withyou kaz00

Z-Man
12-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Some good suggestions here--compact stroke, bend your knees, turn shoulders, etc. I'd like to add that once you get the mechanics down, you should start moving more in a V pattern. By that, I mean don't just go side to side along the baseline. As you move right or left, also move forward to cut the ball off. This will cause you to hit more on the rise, you won't have to travel as far, and it takes time away from your opponent.

Roy125
12-20-2009, 08:36 PM
this is the swing pad you want to develop....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBiY1dH_guI

But isn't that uncomfortable though. He's hitting it near shoulder height.

salsainglesa
12-20-2009, 09:20 PM
no, it really isnt its the bread and butter of a professional player, hitting at that height is normal when facing heavy topspin.... specially on the rise... there are looooots of ball hit at chest and shoulder level... and the advantage is, that the ball is above net level and it doesnt need to travel upwards, but forward.

the idea is to hit as further to the body as possible... and it gets confortable there...

the one thing you will experience, is akwardness at first, but whenever you are learning a new thing, you will feel it unnatural and not confortable... any new ability is this way... its normal

what is useful is to know that anything new will become natural as you practice it, and you will get the feel of this new movement... isthe same with any skill...
being open to a new experience and loosing fear of failing is the key to succesful learning experiences, we learn through our own mistakes... if you dont miss, then you wont learn.

LeeD
12-21-2009, 08:28 AM
How high up you hit the ball is dependent mainly on your personal preference, usually somewhat based on your exact grip.
Conti guys hit the ball lower.
Eastern guys hit about hip high.
SW sweetspot around mid torso.
W hitters need higher balls, around chest.
So where you prefer to half volley your groundies depends on your grip, as well as your preferences based on consistency, power, placement, and ease of use.

Roy125
12-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh if only I used a more extreme grip. I was using an eastern grip and hitting at chest level all this time which really felt awkward for me. I'll have to get better timing and confidence to hit the ball at a more comfortable height.

Btw, if I use an eastern backhand grip, the comfort zone is the same as the eastern forehand grip right? :confused:

nyc
12-21-2009, 11:42 AM
I practice these shots with a ballmachine. Set it to highest spin and aim deep and about 3-4" above net - that should produce some nasty balls to practice with.

certainly don't throw the ball straight up in the air as someone suggested. that has nothing to do with the dynamics you realistically will encounter.

Nothing beats hitting hundreds of balls to get the timing and confidence right. There is no shortcut - just hard work.

LeeD
12-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Surprisingly, not always!
EBH is very comfortable hitting topspinners from around mid thigh heights, usually slightly lower than is comfy for EFH topspinners.

salsainglesa
12-21-2009, 01:07 PM
you can hit a high ball at shoulder height with an eastern forehand, all you have to adjust is how in front you hit it... as thecontact poit goes further, the closer the raquet is...

the high contact point for a ball on the rise is further in front with an Eastern forehand than a waist height ball.
that is the reason why i prefer to think of the part of the ball where i want to hit it, and not the raquet angle, this angle adjusts to the part of the ball you want to hit.

Bagumbawalla
12-21-2009, 03:43 PM
From your explaination of what is happening, I believe you are pulling up on your racket- in effect trying to duplicate and compensate for the upward bound of the ball. Don't do that.

Hit with (basically) your normal stroke. Hit THROUGH the ball. If you do not frame or skyball with your normal hitting there is no reason to do so while hitting on the rise (other than utterly bad timing- which you would also have hitting normally).

I suspect you are tense and forcing the racket. Relax, keep loose, focus on timing and smoothness of stroke. Pick a spot above the netline on the wall and follow through toward that spot every time.

ManuGinobili
12-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Simplify! When you hit a good on-the-rise shot you'll definitely feel the following:
- you know WHERE you're going to contact the ball
- you know WHEN the ball is going to get there

watch agassi during match play and you'll realize that essence.

Don't worry about wheter to hit at waist level or knee level, it's a personal preference you will discover.
Don't worry about technique, a compact swing is good enough to get the ball deep.
Basically, dont let things distract you, and focus on the heart of the shot - good contact.

Bungalo Bill
12-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Simplify! When you hit a good on-the-rise shot you'll definitely feel the following:
- you know WHERE you're going to contact the ball
- you know WHEN the ball is going to get there

watch agassi during match play and you'll realize that essence.

Don't worry about wheter to hit at waist level or knee level, it's a personal preference you will discover.
Don't worry about technique, a compact swing is good enough to get the ball deep.
Basically, dont let things distract you, and focus on the heart of the shot - good contact.

Man, I wish it was that easy.

The truth is many players are still developing their ball judgement, footwork, court positioning skills, and being able to handle balls hit with different paces, spins, and other things. The other portion of this is many players don't nearly spend enough time to develop their skills well enough.

Timing is what people are working for and not "feel".

Worrying is not what a player should do as well, that is a bit farfetched to say when a player simply asks a how-to questions. However, in order to develop one's timing it takes determined practice and being able to read the incoming ball better and better. It also needs confidence that helps a player make the effort to become consistent.

What players should not do is become mindless "tree huggers" that only think tennis is just a feel sport. It is anything but that and involves a person's mind to help overcome situation they need to overcome whether internally or externally.

VaBeachTennis
12-24-2009, 07:40 AM

You can also practice hitting on the rise against a wall. If you want a "topsin" feel to the ball when it come off of the wall, feed a high or medium backhand slice to the wall and the ball will return to you with some topspin. You can also just hit a regular stroke to the wall and the ball will return with forward momentum and take it on the rise. Just start out at half speed and get your timing down and grove your stroke.
As previously stated by other posters, a hitting partner or ball machine is the preferred way to practice hitting on the rise. Besides timing, having a good posture, good footwork, a compact stroke, and keeping your head still through the shot, will usually yield good results.

VaBeachTennis
12-24-2009, 07:44 AM
no no
the wall is your friend...

you can feed yourself any kind of ball you are having trouble with, specially the soft floaters or balls on the rise!!!
Experiment, i use the wall whenever my timing is off on the rising ball... just dont be lazy, and move to the ball!!
dont hit to the wall over and over and over...
feed yourself the ball you want to work with, hit it with proper technique, and then grab the ball, and feed it again to yourself...
its like if someone else sends you those balls...

in the case of hiting on the rise, the ball has force going upward, if you hit it with the raquet face perpendicular to the ground the ball will rise to the same height it would have rised if you didnt hit it... so you have to close the raquetface and feel the angle the ball leaves your raquet. also, its good to differentiate between balls below net level, and above net level, when hitting on the rise, the balls above this level dont need to have a loopy trajectory up, they will pass the net if the trajectory is almost level to the ground, there is no need to hit up, but FORWARD and let gravity do the work, and since you are hitting forward, there will be top spin on the ball since you will be hitting from above and with top spin relative to the flying path of the ball...

Excellent points. I guess i should scan the thread before i reply.......... :)

ilikephobo
12-29-2009, 11:14 AM
what i do against weak players is stand in no mans land about 2 ft into it and i work on taking balls early. and yes watch the ball, very important for every stroke you make.

12-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Do you realize that it is easier to hit on the rise off a flatter trajectory ball coming to you? And that the more vertical the bounce, the harder to hit on the rise, along with less need to hit on the rise? Back when I was learning to hit on the rise better, this info was valuable to me, so thought it might help you.

Roy125
12-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Do you realize that it is easier to hit on the rise off a flatter trajectory ball coming to you? And that the more vertical the bounce, the harder to hit on the rise, along with less need to hit on the rise? Back when I was learning to hit on the rise better, this info was valuable to me, so thought it might help you.

I think that this is why those big topspin players are so annoying to me. I use an Eastern grip on both my forehand and backhand and I will be totally screwed if I don't learn how to hit on the rise the next time I play someone.

ttbrowne
12-30-2009, 05:42 PM
The Agassi way:
Ball machine set on 90 mph shooting balls so fast you don't have time to think...and hit them hard....no...harder!

fruitytennis1
12-30-2009, 07:49 PM
From your explaination of what is happening, I believe you are pulling up on your racket- in effect trying to duplicate and compensate for the upward bound of the ball. Don't do that.

Hit with (basically) your normal stroke. Hit THROUGH the ball. If you do not frame or skyball with your normal hitting there is no reason to do so while hitting on the rise (other than utterly bad timing- which you would also have hitting normally).

I suspect you are tense and forcing the racket. Relax, keep loose, focus on timing and smoothness of stroke. Pick a spot above the netline on the wall and follow through toward that spot every time.

Yea this is what i used to do.

fruitytennis1
12-30-2009, 07:50 PM

On the rise on those flat skidding things. Uhh thats much harder than topspin on the rise

Blake0
12-30-2009, 07:59 PM
On the rise on those flat skidding things. Uhh thats much harder than topspin on the rise

Actually i think that hitting on the rise on flat shots is easier then heavy topspin shots. Not like the super fast flat winner kind of shots, but if i were to play against a heavy topspin player and against a flat player who hit around the same power wise, flat one would be easier. The bounce is more predictable and easier to handle against flatter hitters. Plus when you hit against heavy topspin hitters, the ball moves faster after the bounce because of all the spin, while flat hitter's bounce maintain the slow down after the bounce.Unless you're talking more about moonballers, because those are pretty predictable and very easy to handle (no weight on the ball) too.

Bud
12-30-2009, 10:16 PM

IME, it's just the opposite. I can hit loopy topspin balls on the rise much easier the the low-flying flat ball.

Roy125
01-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Ok, I took your guys' advices and it really worked a bit. I can now hit on the rise on my forehand side if I'm really confident and not overthinking it. Although I still get nervous when there are high-topspin balls coming at me.

Zachol82
01-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Hitting on the rise is a difficult technique to master. Good job on finally getting it to work for you!

Since hitting on the rise gives your opponent less time to react, as well as creating massive pace on the ball, it'll be pretty hard to practice it with the wall. I've tried it once and each shot kept getting faster and faster until it's just too fast for me to react against my own shots against the wall :[

Roy125
01-09-2010, 07:24 PM
I was so happy that I didn't frame it once today. I still have a lot of problems with it though like my feet being numb after I see a ball with a lot of topspin coming towards me. It's like a split-step, then I just stay there...

skuludo
02-13-2010, 12:00 AM
I think I figured out the timing to hit on the rise. As soon as your opponent hits the ball and you know whether it is going to be a forehand or backhand, you need to start swinging forward. Do not start to swing forward after the ball has bounced. The swing forward must be before the bounce. You will usualy be late on fast balls if you swing forward after the ball has bounced.

kiteboard
02-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Play the ball, not the bounce. If you wait to swing off the bounce you will be late. Don't let the ball or the bounce play/dominate you. Aggressive yet controlled swing out front, half volley it like agassi. Short blocks work well too. Dominate the ball before it dominates you.

Zachol82
02-13-2010, 09:05 AM

A tip for learning how to hit on the rise is to start out very slowly. Don't try to go for too much or you'll never get the hang of it.

#1 Just stand in one spot, throw the ball up high in front of you and try to hit it right after it comes back down and bounces. Don't worry about making it over the net just yet, just focus on hitting it on the sweet-spot. Once you get the timing down, you'll automatically hit over the net anyhow.

#2 After you've mastered #1, you can have a buddy feed an easy ball to your forehand and backhand.

#3 The wall. If anything, practicing on the rise shot is extremely difficult with a wall. This is because hitting on the rise gives the ball so much pace that it'll come back a lot faster. The pace will also multiply to a certain point as you continuously rally with the wall.

SupremeV
02-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Lots of good tips. One thing to remember is that when your hitting on the rise, you are hitting the ball from a much lower swing zone- so don't forget to lower your raquet lower than your designated strike zone.

skuludo
02-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Lots of good tips. One thing to remember is that when your hitting on the rise, you are hitting the ball from a much lower swing zone- so don't forget to lower your raquet lower than your designated strike zone.

Strike zone does not have to be low. Commit to a height you want to hit the ball provided the ball will bounce that height and strike. The shoe lace full swing half volley is done when you are too close to the ball. The swing before bounce works best when your opponent hits with more speed. For slower balls just delay the swing a bit, but you still swing before the ball bounce. For returning skidding slice that penetrates the court just swing forward before the bounce. You can take these shots early too.

For balls that are expected to bounce up to your head swing forward before the bounce and you should be able to catch the ball on time at head height or above if you want to take it that high. I think as the ball gets higher it becomes more difficult to judge how far the ball is away from you. That is why I suggest swinging the racket forward before the ball bounce. This should allow you to catch the ball on time.

Icedorb217
02-13-2010, 05:03 PM
what i do is lean in and kinda hit it downward with topspin so it goes back to the other court bouncing just as high