PDA

View Full Version : how

aRFiq
12-18-2009, 10:46 PM
can anybody here teach me how to slice my serve?:confused:

Ken Honecker
12-18-2009, 11:52 PM
If you are a righty toss the ball farther to the right then you do for a flat serve and swing so your racquet is headed more towards the right then straight at your target.

Rambler124
12-19-2009, 05:26 AM
What grip do you use on your typical serve? Need more information here :)

LeeD
12-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Continental or some form of continental for all your serves.
Flat serves you pronate the arm to get solid contact.
Slice serves you lead with the side edge of the racket, the leading edge, so you "slice/chop" the ball, imparting more spin, but 30% less ball speed. You have to aim more right to get the ball into the court.
Hit 100 a day, about 70% swing, to find location, then add the needed 35% MORE swingspeed to make this effective at decent levels.

Cindysphinx
12-19-2009, 08:11 AM
I can tell you how I was taught.

1. Continental grip.
2. Stand 45 degrees to baseline; don't face straight ahead.
3. Toss ball to your right.
4. Pick an object off to your right as a target. Net post of adjacent court works well (or spot on the wall or object in the distance). Swing racket out toward that target. Do not swing toward your opponent.
5. Resist the impulse to swing "around" the ball and hit the back of it. Instead, be disciplined about swing toward that target, which will cause you to brush the side of the ball.
6. At first -- maybe for weeks -- balls will fly all over the place. Don't worry about that. Just keep being disciplined about your swing path.
7. Once you are making proper contact with the right swingpath, then swing faster until the ball starts making it over the net. Then you can start tinkering with your toss and experimenting and fine-tuning things.

LuckyR on this board really put the finishing touches on my slice serve with one awesome bit of advice. I was having trouble slicing from the ad court. IIRC, he said that you should start off practicing aiming for 90% slice, 10% pace. Then you gradually dial down the slice and dial up the pace. He said that a 90% slice/10% pace serve is often good for an ace, and he was absolutely right! :)

Good luck!!

paulfreda
12-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Good advice here above.

I would add that you might try working with the Eastern BH grip.
It results in a wicked slice when mastered.

papa
12-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Best way to hit a slice serve is to remain sideways throughout the motion and use primarily the arm with very little body rotation into the ball.

LeeD
12-20-2009, 02:08 PM
McEboy stood really sideways and rotated his trunk into this wide ad court slices and it worked for him.

fuzz nation
12-21-2009, 05:34 AM

Tell us how you generally serve right now. How's your setup, grip, pace, placement, etc. I've had some success with a pretty simple idea for teaching a slice serve, but I'll run it down once you let us know how you're doing at present.

charliefedererer
12-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Check out these videos on how to hit a slice serve from Fuzzy Yellow Balls. You've gotten some good advice here so far, but these videos are easliy "worth a thousand words", at least of my words: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlPVdppfYGs

Bud
12-21-2009, 08:03 PM

http://www.couponorder.com/ginsu0.jpg

aRFiq
12-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Tell us how you generally serve right now. How's your setup, grip, pace, placement, etc. I've had some success with a pretty simple idea for teaching a slice serve, but I'll run it down once you let us know how you're doing at present.

i use continental grip,i toss the ball a little forward of my body ,and it went flat..should i mantain myself in sideways while serving?

LeeD
12-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Read post #2. Then go out on the court and do it.

fuzz nation
12-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Use that motion for a flat serve as your starting reference for a slice serve. Shade your flat-serve grip a little more toward eastern backhand (but not all the way) so that when you do the same serve, the face of your racquet will be mildly angled. If you're a righty, it will be facing a bit more to the left.

Since that angled racquet face will send the ball a little more left, adjust your aim maybe five or six feet to the right to compensate. Now go after the ball the same way you would to hit a flat serve. You may find that a toss that's slightly more to the right will make it easier to get that angular contact and send the ball toward your target.

The tricky thing with this serve is that you have to build an instinct for where the ball is going to go. The flat serve pretty much sends the ball through the line that you swing on, but the slice serve is a deliberate curve ball and you'll eventually get a feel for just how much curve your motion will put on the ball. When it's grooved, you'll have a much larger margin for error with this type of delivery.

Eventually you want to hit the different serves in your bag of tricks from the same stance/setup so that you don't telegraph what you're going to hit to your opponent. See what happens initially when you use the stance for your flat ball, but don't be shy about trying either a more open or closed orientation, too.