PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Tennis program

CHS_10s
12-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Hi everyone,
I was hoping for you all to help me in my quest for a tennis program to start looking at. I am a junior in high school and a two-star recruit per TennisRecruting and am interested in playing college tennis (preferably d-1). I am confident I could play at a wide range of schools but they dont meet my academic standards. I have a 4.2 GPA and am looking for a school I can play tennis at (meaning a school like UVA wouldn't work) with excellent academic standards. So basically im looking for a school that is relatively tough to get into academicly that a two-star player could play at. So far I have not been able to find that combination in a school. Any suggestion?

John

Btw- I dont need to get a full-ride or anything

JLyon
12-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Look at some smaller private schools or D3. D1 for instance Gardner-Webb or most D3's are all very good academics.
Look at the Big South Conference, Patriot Conference as possibilities.

DownTheLine
12-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Look at some smaller private schools or D3. D1 for instance Gardner-Webb or most D3's are all very good academics.
Look at the Big South Conference, Patriot Conference as possibilities.
2 star recruit making it in the South? Highly unlikely.

tennismom42
12-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi everyone,
I was hoping for you all to help me in my quest for a tennis program to start looking at. I am a junior in high school and a two-star recruit per TennisRecruting and am interested in playing college tennis (preferably d-1). I am confident I could play at a wide range of schools but they dont meet my academic standards. I have a 4.2 GPA and am looking for a school I can play tennis at (meaning a school like UVA wouldn't work) with excellent academic standards. So basically im looking for a school that is relatively tough to get into academicly that a two-star player could play at. So far I have not been able to find that combination in a school. Any suggestion?

John

Btw- I dont need to get a full-ride or anythingThis has been asked and answered about 100 times in the past year.

Please use the search button or just scroll up & down the Junior's forum and read some of the other threads.

Thus far, you're not specific enough. As Jr in HS, know that most of the good scholarships and positions on college teams will be decided by November of 2010, for your class of 2011. So, you have 11 months. At the very most, 2nd signing is April of 2011 for your class. So you might have 11 to 16 months.

Start with a free search on collegeboard.com It takes about 10 minutes. I always suggest that the kids do 1 search for each of the divisions, for your sport.

You need to be going on tours, very soon!

papatenis
12-20-2009, 08:58 AM
You need to get to 3 stars at the least for Div.3 schools.
Check out the "baby ivy's", good academic and tennis schools.

skyzoo
12-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi everyone,

John

Btw- I dont need to get a full-ride or anything
Loyola in Marland or Duquesne University in Pittsburgh. Both mid-level d.1 with very high level academics. Duquesne's lowest player i believe is a 3 star and Duquesne is teetering on IVY league admissions as a school. You'll definitly play D.1, I did and I have no stars, just a video.

BajeDuane
12-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Do you have a video, or a link to your profile on Tennis Recruiting?

goran_ace
12-21-2009, 05:38 AM
I would say start with the US News rankings for National Universities and then from there pick out which schools you might have a chance at playing. There are some top 25/50 schools (academically) that play DIII such as Washington University in St Louis, Emory, U of Chicago, NYU, Tufts. Otherwise try the top 25 in the Liberal Arts list - most of those are going to be DIII as well.

lilxjohnyy
12-21-2009, 02:31 PM
where are you located? your SN seems familiar ... is it your school name?

chilllaxin006
12-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Loyola College- Maryland. academically tough. D1 tennis! DORMS ARE INSANE

skyzoo
12-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Loyola College- Maryland. academically tough. D1 tennis! DORMS ARE INSANE
dude do you go there? its my #2

kctennis1005
12-24-2009, 11:15 PM
any top d3 school is what your lookin for.....or holy cross, colgate, villanova

tennisjon
12-30-2009, 06:43 PM
With those type of grades and tennis rating, I would look at D3 schools. I coach at Drew University, in Madison, NJ and our team has players of your caliber as well as academics. One thing that a lot of people don't take into account is that many private schools can offer major scholarship money for academics that are as big or bigger than many D1 school offer in athletic aid. Its all about the final amount that you have to pay combined with the academic, athletic, social, and geographic fit. The best thing to do is to use a site such as collegeboard and find schools that fit your academic desires. Then contact the coaches at the school on that list that fit your tennis ability. Arrange to do a stay-over on campus with a member of the team and see if you are a fit. Good luck!

joshburger
12-30-2009, 06:51 PM
emory, amherst, middlebury

stanfordtennis alum
12-30-2009, 06:52 PM
i would highly recommend you contact the coach at emory

papatenis
12-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Amherst, Swarthmore, Williams, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Smith, William & Mary

goran_ace
12-31-2009, 05:44 AM
Amherst, Swarthmore, Williams, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Smith, William & Mary

William & Mary may fit the profile of those other schools academically/socially but their tennis program is a lot tougher than the others. They play DI and have made the NCAA tournament here and there, a couple of guys who've played there have spent some time on the tour after college.

BajeDuane
12-31-2009, 11:16 AM
What are you looking to major in? You can check out Prairie View A&M University www.pvamu.edu That is D1

skyzoo
12-31-2009, 03:55 PM
I say Loyola in Md. Top academic and D1 tennis. Hottest girls in the east and 2nd nicest dorms in the nation.