PDA

View Full Version : Mario 'Baseline Basher' Ancic?

splink779
04-21-2005, 11:10 AM
I thought this kid was a serve and volleyer? His performance in the Davis cup was anything but impressive. He avoided coming in at all costs! I think he was into net 3 times against Roddick. I also saw a bit of him against Federer and he wasn't serve and volleying. Can anyone tell me what his concrete game style is?

Andres
04-21-2005, 11:13 AM
It's very Ivanisevic'ish, IMO :P
But he doesn't stalk the net all the time as Goran did ;)

laurie
04-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Not quite true. Goran didn't rush the net much on clay and hardcourts. It happens so often, for instance when I see a young Sampras on DVD, he doesn't rush the net as much as people would imagine.

But when it comes to grass, Ancic will be coming in all time.

Kevin Patrick
04-21-2005, 11:49 AM
I have his 5 set loss against Agassi at the '03 French on tape, he was S&Ving consistently.
That Davis Cup match was bizarre, the commentators were criticizing him for staying back. He started coming in when the match was close to over with pretty good success. I know that it was a slow hardcourt but Ancic serves really big, Roddick doesn't return that well, & Ancic isn't as consistent from the backcourt as Roddick, it made no sense why he stayed back.

I don't think he knows what style to play, but he really should attack more if he wants to make more of an impact on tour.

katarddx
04-21-2005, 11:57 AM
He IS a S$V player and Andres, yoa are right he is a little Ivanishevic-ish. He has learned not to come to the net at all the costs and IMHO that makes him a better player.
just my .2cents

fastdunn
04-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Ancic S&Ved before. Now he plays baseline game with piercing serves.
He is not the only one. Fish used to S&Ved much more. Now he is
turning himself into a baseliner/all courter under Martin.
Henman also S&V less nowadays....

tiadeserbia
04-21-2005, 06:03 PM
I agree with you guys...and I think that better ground strokes will help him to develop his talent even more:D

splink779
04-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Without S&V he has no real weapons. Sure his serve is fast, but its not near the fastest, and more and more players are using faster serves. By the way anyone think he looks like the Karate Kid? I always think wax on, wax off when I see him play.

gugafanatic
04-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Without S&V he has no real weapons. Sure his serve is fast, but its not near the fastest, and more and more players are using faster serves. By the way anyone think he looks like the Karate Kid? I always think wax on, wax off when I see him play.

too funny dude. Ancic related to karate kid????

http://www.shop4photos.net/graphics/252/252033.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40331000/jpg/_40331261_ancic_getty.jpg

splink779
04-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Ha ha nice pics!

tiadeserbia
04-21-2005, 08:50 PM
He's cute though :)

VamosRafa
04-21-2005, 08:54 PM
I thought this kid was a serve and volleyer? His performance in the Davis cup was anything but impressive. He avoided coming in at all costs! I think he was into net 3 times against Roddick. I also saw a bit of him against Federer and he wasn't serve and volleying. Can anyone tell me what his concrete game style is?

The court in Carson was very slow. I think if he S&V'd more on that surface, he would have kept getting passed. I think in that case, he was advised by the DC captain, who as you know was coaching him through the match, to stay back and hope for the best.

Another interesting Davis Cup fact.

In Monte Carlo, Ljubicic/Ancic lost to the Bryans in doubles, 2-6, 1-6. On an even slower surface. Just goes to show how "anything really can (and does) happen in Davis Cup." And caused one reporter to comment that perhaps the US should have played that tie on clay????

hyperwarrior
04-21-2005, 09:18 PM
I thought this kid was a serve and volleyer?

Yeah a 6'5" kid...

tiadeserbia
04-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Ancic does not have that mucch chance on slow courts...i would say wimbledon will be his chance on the grand slam stage this year.