PDA

View Full Version : Advantage to McEnroe-style serving stance?

Bashi
12-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Is there any benefit to starting with your feet like that, or is that just something he grew up doing or what? I've played around with it a couple times and I don't really see what the advantage is, but what do I know.

AznHylite
12-19-2009, 09:22 PM
I think it helped with the disguise of his serve.

i8myshirt
12-19-2009, 09:22 PM
I heard he started doing that to not stress his back.

35ft6
12-19-2009, 09:34 PM
You can't help but get a good shoulder turn. But you can get a good shoulder turn without such an extreme stance.

LeeD
12-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Try it !!
For some, it adds rotational slice into every serve.
For other's, it doesn't allow forward movement and faster serves.

Mick
12-20-2009, 02:11 PM
i tried it years ago, it didn't work out for me :)

ttbrowne
12-20-2009, 02:22 PM
I serve in this fashion. I never copied anyone, It just worked better for me. I found I was opening up with the shoulder turn much too early. This way it holds my shoulder til I want to open it.
It also has some weird side effects. On the deuce side, sometimes if I toss it incorrectly, I can hit the service box at an extreme angle on the outside line and the serve kicks out wide. It's unreachable by anyone. I hit it three times in todays match.

Bashi
12-20-2009, 04:00 PM
for those of you who do use it, do you do it as extreme as mcenroe (heels pretty much on the baseline) or a little less?

NLBwell
12-20-2009, 08:49 PM
I use it a lot now, since I tore my elbow tendon. Actually, I used to do it just as a joke imitation, but in finding ways to serve with my damaged arm, I found it really effective. I can hit a slice serve better than I ever have in my life, now. (My normal serve was a kick/twist) It's pretty much an exact imitation.

LeeD
12-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Mine is more normal conventional closed stance, but when I have trouble getting the wide slice working, I close my stance even more and the ball goes wider with more slice effect.
Funny thing.... when I ask my opponent why he didn't anticipate the wider slice coming, he says it looks like I"m trying to disguise a up the middle serve with the extreme closed stance....:shock::shock:
As I get older and my service speeds slow down, I might try adding more closed stance to my service stance. Might give me the wide serve back, and pure speed is a thing of the past anyhoos.

darthpwner
12-21-2009, 10:18 AM
It prevents you from opening up your shoulders too early and it naturally forces you to toss it further back, so you have more consistency and spin at the expense of power.