PDA

View Full Version : Mac and Isner warming up

35ft6
12-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Can't get enough of videos like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ96dPX9trw)

Here's Murray practicing. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNFxnShJ9o)

If this becomes a place for people to post links to similar videos of pros practicing, that would be sweet. Not shots of just them swinging away, but videos that show where the balls are going. The Murray one is sick.

Love50
12-20-2009, 01:33 AM
Great clips! Thanks for the pointer.

chico9166
12-20-2009, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the video. Hadn't seen the Murray clip before. Love his game. Simple, efficient, and great to emulate from a technical standpoint. (especially that two hander, which couldn't be more perfect) And what a graceful, agile, mover for such a big kid. Just perfect shoulders over hips alignment/posture. Kinda reminds me of Mecir, in this regard.

Cody
12-20-2009, 02:41 AM
While this isn't practice here is a good vid

J Mac and Isner v The Bryan Brothers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anUorTGUq_0&feature=channel

Mcenroe still looks pretty good for his age.

Larrysümmers
12-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Mac looks like he could get a golden set off of me if he wanted to lol

Davis937
12-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for posting the Murray video clip ... he makes it look like a pretty simple and easy game to play ... hit, recover, and hit again ... and ... his training partner is not too shabby either ... wonder how they recruit/hire/pay these hitting partners?

dParis
12-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Can't get enough of videos like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ96dPX9trw)

If this becomes a place for people to post links to similar videos of pros practicing, that would be sweet. Not shots of just them swinging away, but videos that show where the balls are going. The Murray one is sick.
I really like that perspective. Unfortunately, it's under utilized. Yes, the Murray vid is ridiculous. And remember, he's a "pusher".:lol:

Ripper014
12-22-2009, 05:31 AM
I really like that perspective. Unfortunately, it's under utilized. Yes, the Murray vid is ridiculous. And remember, he's a "pusher".:lol:

I really enjoy this stuff as well... I have to admit... the ball is a lot lower to the net than I would have expected, and he spends a lot of time on his back foot with his forehand. But definitely interesting stuff.

Ripper014
12-22-2009, 05:33 AM

The McEnroe stuff is amazing... it is crazy how effortless he makes the game look.

Bungalo Bill
12-22-2009, 07:08 AM

Wow, maybe its me, but if I didn't know these two, would I think they were pros? Successful pros? Does Mac bend his knees anymore? hahahaha, kidding.

Good video showing Murrays feet. I hope Aimr75 sees this taking note of how Murray always tries to keep his heels off the ground as much as possible. Note the daylight between his heels and the ground.

Nice stuff, thanks!

LeeD
12-22-2009, 07:19 AM
The surprising thing to me is how awkward Isner looks. I've seen him on TV playing some of his best tennis, and that didn't look like the same person.
Kinda like my mention of the limited 3 year life span of the really tall players. Seems the Phils, Krai, Amaya, can only bend and look athletic for about that long. Maybe add the current Karlovics and Querry's to the mix when their careers are over.
McEnroe looks stiff as a board, just like 20 years ago, and did you guys look at his forehand backswing? Did he fall asleep?
He plays GREAT still !!:shock::shock:

chico9166
12-22-2009, 07:30 AM
The surprising thing to me is how awkward Isner looks. I've seen him on TV playing some of his best tennis, and that didn't look like the same person.
Kinda like my mention of the limited 3 year life span of the really tall players. Seems the Phils, Krai, Amaya, can only bend and look athletic for about that long. Maybe add the current Karlovics and Querry's to the mix when their careers are over.
McEnroe looks stiff as a board, just like 20 years ago, and did you guys look at his forehand backswing? Did he fall asleep?
He plays GREAT still !!:shock::shock:

More importantly, how far do you think he can throw a football?:)

Ripper014
12-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Wow, maybe its me, but if I didn't know these two, would I think they were pros? Successful pros? Does Mac bend his knees anymore? hahahaha, kidding.

For me I get a pretty good sense of a player by how consistant they hit the ball... and how easily they execute their shots. They are just having a light hit... I just love watching stuff like this... seeing how well the pro's center the ball on their rackets... and how effortless the majority of them make it look.

McEnroe proves it is less about ideal technique as it is about repeatability. There is a video somewhere around here that shows Federer practicing and he makes it look effortless as well.

LeeD
12-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Honestly, I find the taller players cannot toss a football very far.
I played (not a starter) varsity basketball in the spring for 3 years in high school. The centers and forwards could not even throw a basketball 3/4 the length of the little highschool basketball court.
The inbounder was usually a 2 guard, or me when they let me actually play. Especially after a fastbreak point, coach would tell me to grab the ball as quickly as possible and toss it as far as I could to our end of the basket. That way, we'd get an advantage in numbers, which usually led to an easy basket.
Sometimes, I'd get excited and tossed it too far, over the backboard.
This works because inbounding after a basket, you're allowed to run the width of the baseline to get a clear look.
For real.

86golf
12-22-2009, 08:06 AM
For me I get a pretty good sense of a player by how consistant they hit the ball... and how easily they execute their shots. They are just having a light hit... I just love watching stuff like this... seeing how well the pro's center the ball on their rackets... and how effortless the majority of them make it look.

McEnroe proves it is less about ideal technique as it is about repeatability. There is a video somewhere around here that shows Federer practicing and he makes it look effortless as well.

You're spot on. Couple 4.5's at my club hit their forehands very late and you would swear this guys were 3.5's if you saw them warming up. They can repeat their strokes very well and don't ever panic. And btw, rarely ever lose matches. Golf is the same, if you can repeat your swing you'll set yourself up to make birdies.

Bungalo Bill
12-22-2009, 08:12 AM

I don't know about McEnroe proving anything. Ball was moving real slow. Perhaps, consistency, hitting a ball and warming up within a players means, is about all I took from it. I could even buy pros don't hit the ball hard in warm-up. Maybe some can learn not to try to hit winners in a warm-up. Other than that, stretching.

Guess everyone will read what they read.

Ripper014
12-22-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't know about McEnroe proving anything. Ball was moving real slow. Perhaps, consistency, hitting a ball and warming up within a players means, is about all I took from it. I could even buy pros don't hit the ball hard in warm-up. Maybe some can learn not to try to hit winners in a warm-up. Other than that, stretching.

Guess everyone will read what they read.

My point was that you don't need to have ideal technique to achieve success at tennis... even at the highest levels.

Ripper014
12-22-2009, 08:28 AM
You're spot on. Couple 4.5's at my club hit their forehands very late and you would swear this guys were 3.5's if you saw them warming up. They can repeat their strokes very well and don't ever panic. And btw, rarely ever lose matches. Golf is the same, if you can repeat your swing you'll set yourself up to make birdies.

Absolutely... but I find golf is more about distance control... which is what I believe you are saying. It doesn't matter what club you hit... or how far you hit it... it is about controlling the distance and hitting targets.

LeeD
12-22-2009, 08:47 AM
There's also a vid floating around about Isner and Mac playing hit and giggle tennis with the BryanBros. Mac looks horrible, but hits better than the other 3 guys. Horrible form, terrific results. Isner was the weak link.

onehandbh
12-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Honestly, I find the taller players cannot toss a football very far.
I played (not a starter) varsity basketball in the spring for 3 years in high school. The centers and forwards could not even throw a basketball 3/4 the length of the little highschool basketball court.

For real.

This is a data point of one example in the 40's? 50's? and you're going to
extrapolate it to all tall players? Master debater you are.

Bungalo Bill
12-22-2009, 09:01 AM
This is a data point of one example in the 40's? 50's? and you're going to
extrapolate it to all tall players? Master debater you are.

I agree, lack of throwing mechanics should not be stereo-typed to tall players. And what is tall? I am 6' 2" and used to play QB and threw the ball far.

Further, I have read (didn't confirm) that NFL QB's average height is 6' 3". This obviously suggests some are taller!

wihamilton
12-22-2009, 09:04 AM
My point was that you don't need to have ideal technique to achieve success at tennis... even at the highest levels.

I respectfully disagree with this. McEnroe's technique is great. One thing he doesn't have -- that virtually all current pros do have -- is a continuous swing path on the forehand. For this and other reasons (his grip, for example), his forehand isn't the best model if you were teaching someone from scratch. But it's still a fantastic forehand.

LeeD
12-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Data and experience from the '40's is still somewhat useful.
Except maybe for LebronJames, most guys over 6'8" seem to have a limiter on the distance of their throws. You would agree Lebron is not normal, wouldn't you?
I mentioned JamarcusRussell was seen throwing a football over 100 yards. He's 6'5" and about 270. He's not normal, wouldn't you agree?
JohnElway could toss 80 yards, but he tossed it like a QB, not like I did like an outfielder. I hope you know the difference.
You never see a javelin thrower just stand there, take one step, and throw. Instead, they run up around 12 steps, then turn and toss pivoting on the oft foot.

LeeD
12-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Tall, as in 6'9" or taller.
Yes, most QB's average around 6'3", considered AVERAGE for a QB. Tallest lately was the deposed Raider's QB, AndrewWalter at just over 6'6". He could throw bombs, but totally inaccurately. Had a 3 game lifespan of stardom.
RandyJohnson at 6'9 could throw bombs (99mph). But TimLincecum at 5'10" throws the same 99, but he only has two CyYoungs.
And plenty of under 6' pitchers could throw over 98mph. Height is not much a factor in throwing fast. Technique, timing, quick twitch, and whippy stength is.

Ripper014
12-22-2009, 09:12 AM
I respectfully disagree with this. McEnroe's technique is great. One thing he doesn't have -- that virtually all current pros do have -- is a continuous swing path on the forehand. For this and other reasons (his grip, for example), his forehand isn't the best model if you were teaching someone from scratch. But it's still a fantastic forehand.

I didn't say it wasn't good... I just said it was not ideal... the same is true with all of his strokes... I am not sure he has one stroke that anyone would teach a new player. McEnroe is a savant in many ways, he has a natural gift for playing the game. And he does do things technically right... but I am talking about how he gets to that point.

LeeD
12-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Mc did have lots of good points to teach other players.
Like simple quick prep, no technical analysis needed, hand/eye rules all else, and hit the ball only as hard as you need.....
Best anamolies are his forehand volleys...just reach out and dip the racket with no turn, little knee bend, and openstanced...:):) for a forcing winner almost every time.
Except for the fact he was one of my favorite idols (for his physical game, not his gamesmanship), if I saw him play, I'd say.... "what planet did this duffer come from?"....
Planet 7.0 Men's pro, use what works for you.

Cody
12-22-2009, 11:38 AM
I think this is that vid LeeD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anUorTGUq_0&feature=channel

If it is a posted it before, mac looks great

Power Player
12-22-2009, 11:59 AM
read some posts..edited.

aimr75
12-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Good video showing Murrays feet. I hope Aimr75 sees this taking note of how Murray always tries to keep his heels off the ground as much as possible. Note the daylight between his heels and the ground.

Nice stuff, thanks!

yeah, ive seen this vid before, its great stuff.. im going to pay closer attention to this the next time im on the court, thanks

12-23-2009, 02:37 AM
Weak to medium 4.5s in my area. The tall one can't move too well and that older one on the other side is sort of a pusher....

What? these guys have good records?
Well guys I play with must be 7.7s then, haha ...:)

LeeD
12-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Tall one sure can't move well or pay attention....
His lefty partner is not a pusher, he just doesn't hit very hard, and he hits mostly flat.... :shock::):):)
But they're OK to watch when we're borred

Ripper014
12-23-2009, 01:15 PM
I agree, lack of throwing mechanics should not be stereo-typed to tall players. And what is tall? I am 6' 2" and used to play QB and threw the ball far.

Further, I have read (didn't confirm) that NFL QB's average height is 6' 3". This obviously suggests some are taller!

I think part of the reason for that is so they can see over the 6'-8 lineman... it is hard to be a small quarterback in the BIGS...

LeeD
12-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Yeah, what's up with that?
Why would you want an offensive lineman to be tall? Tall is easier to move, as they have to get low to passblock. Shorter players like the defensive lineman are really hard to move backwards, and can move forwards like a cannonball. Tall OT's (offensive tackle on the outside, taller than 6'6" cannot pass block at all, basically. The defensive end or D tackle just bull rushes them onto their heels, and the quicker OLB just rush around the outside and turn the corner, destroying the QB.
And you need tall QB's to see over them.
Kinda like RB's, the running backs. To me, a mostly defensive player as a kid, the toughest guys to tackle were the 5'9" 220 lbs bowling balls that lower their heads and run north to south. Easiest to tackle were the 6'2" 220 lb'ser who had a bigger target for me to hit.
Two counter examples. FrankGore is the shortee, hard to tackle. BUT as a counter, StephenJackson of the Rams is 6'3 or so, and he's hard to bring down. Counter that with BarrySanders, 5'9" and 210, hard to tackle.

Mike Cottrill
12-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Is it just me or does Isner’s foot work look awful and off balance on the volleys?

And the double’s match, Isner is making the old mad do all the work.. Will, you trying to make him look bad lol… Mac sure knows how to play no matter what his age.. He still needs a little work on the mouth though lol…

LeeD
12-23-2009, 03:37 PM
"big tall guys have a limited shelf live expectancy of about 3 years, of which they can play some incredible tennis"..... says one LeeD, for the last 30 years.

fire_eaters
12-30-2009, 06:45 AM
wow! amazing