PDA

View Full Version : The GREAT MAINS vs CROSSES TENNIS TALK discussion THREAD !

ClubHoUno
12-20-2009, 03:23 PM
With all the differently opinions on where you get the power, spin, feel, comfort and control in the string bed, I thought it would be a GREAT idea to have an entire thread dedicated to this highly interesting subject here in the string forum on Tennis Talk.

In my view after testing literally 100's of Hybrids for the last 2 years, this is how I see it:

MAINS - THE MAIN STRINGS PROVIDE MOST OF THE:
FEEL, POWER & SPIN in a string bed.

CROSSES - THE CROSS STRINGS PROVIDE MOST OF THE:
CONTROL in a string bed.

In my view you get a bit more COMFORT from the MAINS, but also a GREAT deal of comfort from the CROSSES.

The CROSS strings are perfect at taming and controlling the power of the MAIN strings.
The MAIN strings are the MAIN PROVIDER of the overall feel and nerve of the entire string bed and you should ALWAYS ALWAYS place the strings, you want the feel from, in the MAINS.

OliverSimon
12-20-2009, 03:27 PM
This combo is awesome?!

TonyB
12-20-2009, 03:40 PM
The problem with this poll is that anyone can vote. Even those with no experience playing with this hybrid can post a vote just based on what they've read on this forum.

ClubHoUno
12-20-2009, 03:49 PM
The problem with this poll is that anyone can vote. Even those with no experience playing with this hybrid can post a vote just based on what they've read on this forum.

I agree, but this is still the best way to see how other Tennis Talk guys/gals feels :)

You must be somewhat interested in strings and how they behave in a string bed before you would open a thread like this, so I trust that most of the tennis players, interesting in strings, will be knowledgeable enough to take part in the discussion and vote in the poll above!

ClubHoUno
12-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Come on, let's get some opinions :p

raygo
12-21-2009, 12:52 AM
I'd be more interested in discussions/studies involving deflection on impact, how tension loss in one affects the other (helpful for choosing hybrids), or measuring power or spin for different strings using a repeatable swing.

Until someone finds a way to quantify 'feel,' 'control,' or 'comfort,' this thread is going to get eaten by the opinion monster very soon.

PimpMyGame
12-21-2009, 01:15 AM
I've had several experiments with hybridding strings. Most recently, after a very sore arm and shoulder, I tried natural gut with polys, multis and syn guts in various formations. I felt that natty gut worked best in the mains, which led me to vote feel and comfort were mainly attributable to the main strings. I also got on better with a low powered string in the crosses so for me power and control are more to do with what's gone into the crosses. Spin for me is all about the mains, which is the only category at time of writing which seems to have a vast majority of people agreeing.

It's interesting the other four categories are reasonably evenly split at the moment. Let's get some thoughts posted instead of putting this thread down!

Footnote - now my arm problems have gone I'm back to full syn gut as I think the cost, ease of stringing and all-round playability is the best mix. But I do know now that: 1) I can revert back to a decent hybrid setup if my arm problems come back and 2) I can't use Luxilon as it's too harsh for me.

HitItHarder
12-21-2009, 07:21 AM
Interesting poll. I have played with full synthetic gut, synthetic gut mains with a multi cross, full multi, kevlar main and multi cross, full co-poly, and poly mains and synthetic gut cross.

In my opinion the main string has the most impact on all of the playing characterists of the string bed. Manipulating the cross string can tweak those characteristics, but it doesn't seem to dominate a string set up.

To me, hybriding is more about seeking durability, longer string life, and potential cost saving while trying to maintain the playing characterists of the main string.

But this is just my opinion, I am sure others feel differently.

skyzoo
12-21-2009, 07:43 AM
i think it's something along the lines of you feel 80% mains and 20% crosses. correct me if i'm wrong

ClubHoUno
12-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Interesting poll. I have played with full synthetic gut, synthetic gut mains with a multi cross, full multi, kevlar main and multi cross, full co-poly, and poly mains and synthetic gut cross.

In my opinion the main string has the most impact on all of the playing characterists of the string bed. Manipulating the cross string can tweak those characteristics, but it doesn't seem to dominate a string set up.

To me, hybriding is more about seeking durability, longer string life, and potential cost saving while trying to maintain the playing characterists of the main string.

But this is just my opinion, I am sure others feel differently.

I use Hybrids because I like the feel and softness of Natty GUT, but prefer it tamed and controlled a bit by a CoPoly in the crosses.....

I also from time to time use a very thin gauge CoPoly mains, and to soften this up a bit, I use a Prime MUlti in the crosses. This hybrid also lasts much longer because the stiffer and dead CoPoly interacts fine with the softer more mushy Prime MUlti, and you end up with a stringbed, that feels better for a longer period.

This to me is what Hybrids is all about.

But please remember - this thread is for all, not just hybrid users.

I expected guys like TennezSport, JollyRoger Valjean, Hoodjem and others to contribute with their personal opinions, but so far they have either ignored this thread or they haven't seen it....

TnTBigman
12-21-2009, 08:58 PM
I always used syn @ 60 both mains and crosses since I started using graphite racquets since 1992 (mPs and OS). Recently, just one time I let a friend put 58 mains and 54 crosses using Gosen Micro and it immedieatly felt bouncy- but it had great feel to it. Touch, placement, directionality etc was there more than ever. Now I'm back at @ 60 PSG w DuraFlex and it feels harsh, dead and weird. I think lowering the crosses does provide more cushion and feel. And I'd go as far to say a good string setup will make any racquet enjoyable. I'm a believer.

Funbun
12-22-2009, 08:17 AM
I always used syn @ 60 both mains and crosses since I started using graphite racquets since 1992 (mPs and OS). Recently, just one time I let a friend put 58 mains and 54 crosses using Gosen Micro and it immedieatly felt bouncy- but it had great feel to it. Touch, placement, directionality etc was there more than ever. Now I'm back at @ 60 PSG w DuraFlex and it feels harsh, dead and weird. I think lowering the crosses does provide more cushion and feel. And I'd go as far to say a good string setup will make any racquet enjoyable. I'm a believer.

I've heard good things about the Head Rip Control strings. I'm trying it out for Xmas with SPPP 16 mains. I tried PSGD before, and it frayed in 2 months with Pro Hurricane mains. I might try the OG Gosen Micro Synth Gut if I can get my hands on it as my cross string.

retlod
12-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Blue on black, tears on a river,
Push on a shove--it don't mean much.
Joker on a jack, match on a fire,
Cold as ice--it's a dead man's touch.
Whisper on a scream doesn't change a thing,
Doesn't bring you back...

CROSS ON A MAIN!!!

ClubHoUno
12-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Blue on black, tears on a river,
Push on a shove--it don't mean much.
Joker on a jack, match on a fire,
Cold as ice--it's a dead man's touch.
Whisper on a scream doesn't change a thing,
Doesn't bring you back...

CROSS ON A MAIN!!!

Thank you for your most valuable contribution to this thread :( :(

TnTBigman
12-22-2009, 10:26 AM
I've heard good things about the Head Rip Control strings. I'm trying it out for Xmas with SPPP 16 mains. I tried PSGD before, and it frayed in 2 months with Pro Hurricane mains. I might try the OG Gosen Micro Synth Gut if I can get my hands on it as my cross string.

Hey, ur a lefty too. I think I'm going to switch to Gosen Micro. I always like PSG for their durability, but the Gosen lasted just as long (July - October) and felt better to me. My groundies are 90% flat and I mix thing up in terms of spin/ flat on the 1hbh, so the strings last me longer. RIP cntrl dosent last long at all. Tried that in my early LM Rad MP days.