PDA

View Full Version : Rage Against The X-Factor?

jamesblakefan#1
12-20-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm as anti-establishment as the next guy. So when I heard about the campaign to keep the X-Factor winner from being UK #1, I was intrigued. Apparently people in the UK hate the X-Factor so much, someone started a Facebook group to get Rage Against the Machine to #1 this week.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2228594104

And it's worked, as Rage's "Killing In the Name" is UK #1 this week, ending X-Factor's 4 Year run as Christmas #1, and keeping the X-Factor winner from atop the charts.

I know there's some people from the UK who post here, my question is, where do you stand on X-Factor? I know they're talking about bringing it here to the US. Is Cowell really hated that much in his home country?

Xenakis
12-20-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't like to think about the fact that Cowell's 'home country' is the UK.

SempreSami
12-20-2009, 02:57 PM
He's a dick of the highest order, be it because he's a smug tit, has a stupid haircut and plays on the general ignorance of the public.

That and he buys black toilet roll, pure evil that.

Feņa14
12-20-2009, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't say people hate the X Factor at all, more people than ever watched this series with 20 Million watching the final.

This years winner got the same kind of numbers buying his single as they have done in previous years so it still has alot of fans, it's just he was up against an act who appealed to the rebelious side of people who wanted to be part of one of the biggest upsets in British chart history, and they jumped at the chance.

SempreSami
12-20-2009, 03:51 PM
I think that cover of Mad World beating a genuinely awesome Christmas song by the Darkness because of some angsty Donnie Darko fans was quite annoying though.

jimbo333
12-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Ironically though RATM are also on Sony as well as X-Factor, so the record company still get No.1!

So it's a hollow victory, but still a victory:)

SempreSami
12-20-2009, 04:17 PM
That's irrelevant really, at least Rage are somewhat credible. That Joe kid will vanish quicker than a steak on Nalbandian's plate if he doesn't rake in any more money for Cowell.

jimbo333
12-20-2009, 04:36 PM
But it wouldn't surprise me if Cowell now owns a large number of Sony shares, and is laughing at this!

This is a classic RATM single and I'm glad it's No.1 rather than BLX X-Factor rubbish, but I'd rather see a genuine race for the Xmas No.1 with a load of novelty Xmas singles to be honest:)

Actually I'm not that bothered, I just think X-Factor amongst other things is killing music.

jazar
12-20-2009, 11:18 PM
i absolutely hate x-factor. its just a glorified karaoke contest. i'm go glad that the crappy winner didnt get xmas number 1

PimpMyGame
12-21-2009, 12:00 AM
X-Factor is pure garbage, watched by 10 year old girls who are the target audience for buying the **** singles that spew forth from the Cowell machine.

I understand that Joe McElderry (sp?) was supposed to be on Radio 1 for the chart show yesterday but didn't make it due to unforeseen circumstances or something. lol

Meaghan
12-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Its about the monopolisation of the xmas chart. Do x factor some other time, then let he/she release a single at xmas so that its competitive.

I hate the idea of the x factor churning out a particular "type" instead of proper musicians who tend to fight against mainstream.

I do however watch it now and again and I quite like simons honesty with the celeb wannabees, but he does get on my t*ts with his grey shirt, hairstyle and condescending attitude.
I dont think he is hated here, I think people are more apathetic.

I think the whole idea of the term "rage against the machine" is more important and its globalisation issues of 1 bank, 1 money, 1 language, 1 dominant government, oil etc.
We as people need to stand up a little more, fight apathy and stop being the sheep that have been herded into our unsafe little jobs with our unsafe little pensions, manipulated by media and forced into debt.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab44/rmeaghan/0fightapathy.jpg

jimbo333
12-21-2009, 02:39 AM
^^^^Indeed mate, indeed!

~ZoSo~
12-21-2009, 03:04 AM
^^^^Indeed mate, indeed!

It should also be noted that aside from the lame music spawned from the show, x factor and shows of a similar format function as a freak show in the early rounds where pre selected hopefuls are wheeled out to be ridiculed by a judging panel of millionaires for "entertainment". I hope something like this happens every year.

Cesc Fabregas
12-21-2009, 03:38 AM
That Joe kid has a face that needs a smack. X-Factor is a complete joke of a show, makes Im a Celebrity seem like a decent show.

Ross K
12-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Even if the victory is slightly hollow, as others have referred to already, anything that in any way dents or otherwise strikes a defiant finger up in the direction of Cowell, the loathsome Cheryl Cole, and the whole God-awful money-making exersize that is the X-Factor, should be applauded!

Anaconda
12-21-2009, 07:56 AM
I don't envy any of the X-factor judges to be honest.

Louis walsh - created Boyzone and Westlife and manages talentless singers such as Shane Ward

Simon Cowell - he can be ok i suppose; But overrates Leona Lewis/Susan Boyle/Alexandra Burke

Cheryl Cole - Why is she here, she can't sing.....

Dannii Minogue - Somehow she is worse than Kylie.

--------------------------------------------------------

The x-factor would be great if the best singer wins, but that rarely happens. It's also tarred up with people who want instant fame and don't want to work for it; the sole purpose most fade out in a week because they don't value there careers.

Fee
12-21-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm surprised X factor has lasted so long considering it's track record is far worse than American Idol (has anyone other than Leona Lewis made it to the 2nd or 3rd single?). I know that part of the reason all those viewer vote shows are so successful in the UK is because of the audience participation and the fact that the results can be announced that same night since the whole country is in one time zone. I got hooked on one of them with my family on one of my previous trips to London because I was there for 3 weeks, but part of the fun of it was listening to my cousins making jokes about the participants and the judges and the fake drama.

Meaghan
12-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Dannii Minogue - Somehow she is worse than Kylie.

Stone the blasphemer !!!! you some how seem to have missed growing up watching Italia 90 in the pub singing "world in motion" platty scoring, then getting drunk and dancin' to the hotpant ***** of KYYYYYLIE uurrgh!

Xenakis
12-21-2009, 11:15 AM
but part of the fun of it was listening to my cousins making jokes about the participants and the judges and the fake drama.

I think that feeling of superiority engendered in the audience is the major selling point for the show. Coupled with the festival of emotional exhibitionism reserved for finals night when some young 'talent' is chosen for at least momentary pop greatness.

This is of course in part a self-aggrandising gesture on the part of the audience as it is they who vote for the winner and as such they are celebrating their own 'good' judgement.

We shouldn't blame the producers too much, where there is demand there will be supply. We get the TV/music we deserve.