PDA

View Full Version : Rule Question

ChipNCharge
04-21-2005, 12:26 PM
In a recent mixed doubles match, my partner and I were returning serve. Our opponent hit a serve and my partner immediately called a let when she thought the ball ticked the net. The serve would have been an ace. However, it turned out the "tick" that she heard was actually our opponent's racquet scraping the ground on his service follow-through. Our opponent claimed the point should be theirs since the ball didn't actually touch the net. We thought the point should be played as a let since she honestly thought the ball ticked the net and thus she immediately called a let.

Any thoughts on this?

Geezer Guy
04-21-2005, 12:30 PM
If the serve would have been an ace, they deserved the point and you should have given it to them. Same as if someone is about to hit an overhead smash that will obviously go for a winner, but a ball rolls on the court. They should be awarded the point.

nViATi
04-21-2005, 06:37 PM
If the serve would have been an ace, they deserved the point and you should have given it to them. Same as if someone is about to hit an overhead smash that will obviously go for a winner, but a ball rolls on the court. They should be awarded the point.
but who knows? what if they would have missed the smash? what if they would have hit the net? what if their racquet would have slipped? what if they were going to hit the net in their followthrough?

Geezer Guy
04-22-2005, 07:47 AM
but who knows? what if they would have missed the smash? what if they would have hit the net? what if their racquet would have slipped? what if they were going to hit the net in their followthrough?

Well, I finally found the "rule" that I thought covered this, and turns out it does not EXACTLY apply. But, it's close. From, The Code:

12. Out calls corrected. If a player mistakenly calls a ball "out" and then realized it was good, the point shall be replayed if the player returned the ball within the proper court. Nonetheless, if the player's return of the ball results in a "weak sitter," the player should give the opponent the point. If the player failed to make the return, the opponent wins the point. If the mistake was made on the second serve, the server is entitled to two serves.