PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Maxim touch does not fray!!!!

Mansewerz
12-20-2009, 05:55 PM
I've been glancing at my string bed lately, and I've noticed that the maxim touch hasn't frayed.

Okay, maybe it's been the lack of play, or maybe it's more durable than I thought.

I figured it would last me a while. As I just looked at the strings 10 mins ago, I saw that the mains are close to snapping in 2 places! One good return of serve and they're out of there!!!!

Here's my dilemma. I have a session tomorrow with my cousin and brother (both better than me and hit a heavier ball). I can either:

-Leave the strings as is
-Restring tonight with a Big ace/og micro hybrid
-Restring with just og micro

I've been wanting to try poly for a while, so I thought i'd try some big ace. But, i've never tried it before. And, this is my only AG100 (I know, I need a backup!!!!)

What do you guys think is best?

What tension should I try the big ace hybrid if I go that route? (If I do full gosen, i'll do like 51-52 lbs). I'm liking the Maxim touch at 54/52 right now.

colan5934
12-20-2009, 06:04 PM
When I used Maxim Touch it did not fray much. I used Big Ace Micro crosses and they cut right through it in 18 hours which at that time was very quick for me. It played very well, and I was able to hit the best drop shots I have ever hit, but I typically play with full polyester. To answer your question, I find that Maxim touch does not fray a whole lot, but it notches until it breaks. If you have some deep notching, I would restring, if not, you should be fine. Your cousin or your brother could borrow you a racket too right?

Mansewerz
12-20-2009, 06:12 PM
When I used Maxim Touch it did not fray much. I used Big Ace Micro crosses and they cut right through it in 18 hours which at that time was very quick for me. It played very well, and I was able to hit the best drop shots I have ever hit, but I typically play with full polyester. To answer your question, I find that Maxim touch does not fray a whole lot, but it notches until it breaks. If you have some deep notching, I would restring, if not, you should be fine. Your cousin or your brother could borrow you a racket too right?

Yea they could, i just prefer my frame.

Dez
12-21-2009, 03:25 AM
I usually play with a full bed of maxim touch and it doesn't fray, for me it plays great until it breaks. I love this string, it's actually quite durable for a multi imo.
I just play until it breaks then restring.

Mansewerz
12-21-2009, 06:43 AM
So I decided to hybrid the Big Ace with OG micro (49 lbs BA, 51 lbs OG micro)

Didn't like it that much. Wasn't finding my range off the ground to begin with, and i felt that I coughed up way too many short balls. My cousin says I used to hit with more spin, so maybe i'm hitting a flatter ball too.

Plus, it had way less feel than I care for. I like to come in to net in singles, plus i'm a doubles player. I'd say that i'm an all courter/baseliner who likes to come in quite a bit, so I don't think poly was for me. I'll probably cut it out soon and put in my Gosen OG micro full.

Maybe I just don't hit with enough spin/head speed to get the most out of poly. It's okay though, I prefer feel in my frame/strings.

mikeler
12-21-2009, 07:17 AM
How many hours do you guys get out of this string before it breaks?

Mansewerz
12-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Not sure, I've had to play sporadically (winter)